Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I thought I seen one somewhere, anyone recognize what I'm asking for...?

    an app that when I get a text message, my phone will vibrate (if set on vibrate, sound off), longer than the 1/2 second it currently does?

    Sorry, did a search on "vibrate" and nothing came up, just 5 threads, none of which answer my ?
  2. #2  
    TXT Manager in homebrew makes it go up to 3 seconds. I'd like it to go up to 5 seconds as I still miss some texts.
  3. #3  
    When the phone first came out there were a few posts about it. I got my phone to vibrate much longer by editing some of the code in what I believe was the file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app/messaging/app/controllers/notification-assistant.jsjsjs

    I haven't messed with it since the last couple patches, and don't have my programs available at the moment to go editing. I'll try in about an hour to see if it's still working if you don't want to test things yourself.

    The post I originally made about increasing vibrate time was here: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1688906
  4. #4  
    So, yeah, if you feel comfortable editing files on the pre at all, here's the way to do it:

    Open file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/notification-assistant.jsjsjs

    Lines 147-148 say

    Code:
    if (notificationData.keys().length > 0 && this.Messaging.messagingPrefs.enableNotification) {
    var notificationType = notificationData.get('notificationType');
    Directly after that, add the lines

    Code:
    this.serviceRequest = new Mojo.Service.Request("palm://com.palm.vibrate", {
    method: 'vibrate', parameters: { 'period': 0,'duration': 3000 }
    The duration will be the number of seconds you want the vibrate to last. 3000 = 3 seconds.

    Reboot and that's it.
  5. fishheads's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #5  
    i tried this however, it doesn't work because it appears com.palm.vibrate no longer exists. how can we still call the vibrate function if using the latest and great webOS 1.2.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by websterguy View Post
    So, yeah, if you feel comfortable editing files on the pre at all, here's the way to do it:

    Open file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/notification-assistant.jsjsjs

    Lines 147-148 say

    Code:
    if (notificationData.keys().length > 0 && this.Messaging.messagingPrefs.enableNotification) {
    var notificationType = notificationData.get('notificationType');
    Directly after that, add the lines

    Code:
    this.serviceRequest = new Mojo.Service.Request("palm://com.palm.vibrate", {
    method: 'vibrate', parameters: { 'period': 0,'duration': 3000 }
    The duration will be the number of seconds you want the vibrate to last. 3000 = 3 seconds.

    Reboot and that's it.
  6. #6  
    You're missing a few brackets and parentheses there, but otherwise the same code is working in a few patches I've made for other things. It's been said that directly accessing that might only work in com.palm.app programs, but shouldn't be an issue for messaging.

    In other applications I believe you're stuck with the default vibrate length via something similar to:

    Code:
    Mojo.Controller.getAppController().playSoundNotification("vibrate", "")
  7. #7  
    Building a Prebrator are we?
  8. fishheads's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #8  
    ah....got it. thanks for looking out. after the modifications, it works as advertised! this should really be just a setting in the preferences anyway. for those who want to give it a go, here's the correct code:

    this.serviceRequest = new Mojo.Service.Request("palm://com.palm.vibrate", {
    method: 'vibrate', parameters: { 'period': 0,'duration': 3000 }
    });

    modify the duration to your preference. a couple of things to note is that after inserting this into the code, the default vibration also occurs and when the switch is set to ringer, it will vibrate for the set duration AND play the message tone. is there a way just to get the vibrate longer when the switch is off?? i don't need it to vibrate for 3 seconds while i sleep AND play a tone.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You're missing a few brackets and parentheses there, but otherwise the same code is working in a few patches I've made for other things. It's been said that directly accessing that might only work in com.palm.app programs, but shouldn't be an issue for messaging.

    In other applications I believe you're stuck with the default vibrate length via something similar to:

    Code:
    Mojo.Controller.getAppController().playSoundNotification("vibrate", "")
    Last edited by fishheads; 10/30/2009 at 04:48 AM.
  9. Habious's Avatar
    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    #9  
    I would LOVE to see this as a patch for Preware (maybe it could prompt you for the duration value of your choosing during installtion).

    Anyone else agree?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    I would LOVE to see this as a patch for Preware (maybe it could prompt you for the duration value of your choosing during installtion).

    Anyone else agree?
    I would like to see this too! I'm hestitant to change code on mine...I'm not that saavy:-(
  11. #11  
    Great fix. Can this be done for emails?
  12. #12  
    i applied this modification, and suddenly my messaging stopped working altogether. I would tap the icon, and the bright white light would come on, and nothing.

    I returned the original file, and it works fine. Can you take a look at it to see what I screwed up?
    Attached Files Attached Files
  13. fishheads's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #13  
    You're missing the closing brackets and parentheses:


    if (notificationData.keys().length > 0 && this.Messaging.messagingPrefs.enableNotification) {
    //BEGIN MODIFICATION
    this.serviceRequest = new Mojo.Service.Request("palm://com.palm.vibrate", {
    method: 'vibrate', parameters: { 'period': 0,'duration': 2000 }
    });
    //END MODIFICATION
    var notificationType = notificationData.get('notificationType');
    if (notificationType == this.Messaging.notificationTypes.newMessage) {


    If someone is able to find out exactly where the duration of the factory installed vibrate file is, I think this would solve all our problems. Again, the way this hack operates is that it will add this extra long vibrate to the default sound (or when the switch is set to vibrate) the default vibrate. This isn't something I want disturbing me in the middle of the night. I get random texts from friends at all hours, so this modification won't work for me, and probably most others.

    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    i applied this modification, and suddenly my messaging stopped working altogether. I would tap the icon, and the bright white light would come on, and nothing.

    I returned the original file, and it works fine. Can you take a look at it to see what I screwed up?
  14. fishheads's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #14  
    This would be a great modification if we could understand where either A) the stock vibrate settings are and/or B) how to create the code to determine if the ringer is on or off. Ideally, we want A. Any ideas? Apparently, the creator of the TXT Manager knows, but won't share, as I've asked where such settings are in his app.
  15. #15  
    TXT Manager is indeed able to do this, but I crave for ALL my contacts to vibrate for at least 2 seconds rather than such a small quick vibrate.
    On my old katana, i was able to make different vibration patterns, which was magnificent.
    I don't see why we can't have this here as a simple patch
  16. #16  
    I am still looking for a calendar vibrate extension. Any ideas?

Posting Permissions