1.    #1  
    I very recently learned a litle bit about this patching and tweaking and Luna, etc. At this point, I feel I know enough to get me in trouble. I have figured out how to install patches and themes and have had, up to this point, very smooth sailing. I have had no problems at all with the phone. And, I have quite a few of the patches and homebrew apps. However, I regularly read the post and threads in here and it seems to me A LOT of people have A LOT of issues with their phone after messing with them. So, I would like to know if you all think its worth it and secondly but separetly, why all the problems? I'm not tech savy in any way shape or form, so I dont mean to offend all the wonderful people who are ten times smarter than me & creating these great patches and apps, but shouldn't this be something that is simple? Why doesnt Palm offer all these tweakes and patches so that it is done the right way and people dont break their phones? Just seems like we Pre phone lovers live in this world of constant 'unknown' if the next step is going to brick our phones. Again, is it worth it?
    Last edited by shaidan6453; 10/22/2009 at 10:02 PM.
    I have 2 simple words to answer you. HELL YES!
    Yes, it's worth it.

To answer your question about people with problems, I've observed that in most cases, these people fall into four categories:
    A) Didn't read the instructions
    B) Didn't understand the instructions
    C) Didn't follow the instructions
    D) Any combination of one or more of the above.

With the exception of altering code which logically should only be attempted by those with programming experience, every patch and app I've seen in Homebrew & Preware have had thorough, effective instructions to the point of being *****-proof.

Unfortunately, *****-proof doesn't compensate for the laziness of people in the aforementioned categories.
  4.    #4  
    I agree with you 100% about the people with problems being those that didn't read the instructions, don't understand the instructions, etc. But I guess my question then becomes, with soooo many people who love their pre & want the benefits of patches & app who don't understand all this stuff, why doesn't Palm make these patches as updates so its done right even for those of us who don't fully understand all this stuff...its frustrating. I happen to be one of those peoe who doesn't fully understand the instructions & so far have flown by the seat of my pants. Every day I fear I'm gonna blow up my phone
    First of all, I don't agree with the people who are saying, "yes, it's worth it."

It's worth it for ME, and clearly it's worth it for a whole lot of other folks around here. Whether or not it's worth it to you is entirely up to you.

The most important thing you had to say in your opening post is that you realize that you know just enough to get yourself into trouble. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it's very good that you realize it. Just don't forget it.

When you're at the "just enough knowledge to get in trouble" stage, the most important thing to do, is keep WebOSDoctor handy. Some folks are really nervous about using it, but a quick manual backup using the built in app, and running the WebOSDoctor will fix anything you could mess up with the software.

With catalog apps reinstalling automatically, and so many patches available directly through Preware or the latest WOSQI, it really takes very little time to get from "OMG, I bricked my Pre," to "Perfect. Nobody has to know about the stupid thing I just did."
    Great advice happening here...
    I'm a new Pre user also (1 week) and have already installed 23 patches and applications through Preware. After using the device for just a short time, I found many things that I missed from my previous Palm devices that I had taken for granted up to that point. Simple things like assigning alert tones, or having the calendar default to the month view.

I'm with the original poster in my scratching my head at Palm not adding the 'basic' tried and true touches that you think would be as basic to them as 1-2-3 at this point. IMHO...The OS has changed, but basic needs haven't in most cases.

I guess my only question would be what happens when a new update is released by Palm? All of these items have to be uninstalled before updating the device (from what I understand). After that, do you have to wait for updated patches (if they weren't part of the Palm update) to be released and then install one by one?

I sure hope Palm is watching sites like this and listening to users instead of just relying on their own forum and designers.

Great thread guys! Thanks for the advice!
    There were (are) certainly some things missing right out of the box as your examples note but right or wrong, I think there was some intention and thought behind the decision to release WebOS in an "unfinished" state and I think it was a shrewd approach.

Rather than release a device and OS solely for business users (think Blackberry) or the "cool kids" (think iPhone), they released a device that could be modified to meet both types of users' needs. I'm sure when the dust settles and Palm has a better understanding of what we the users most desire, WebOS updates will include many of the features that currently require patches to the fledgling OS.

Personally, I scoured PreCentral and soaked up as much information as my mind could handle for a good two weeks before I bought my Pre and it still took another week after before I was comfortable trying some of the tweaks and patches the community had to offer.

In the parlance of today's youth, I see the Pre as a "tuner" phone; buy the base model and tweak and tune it to be uniquely yours. To some it may seem half-baked but I see it as a brilliantly innovative approach to breathe some life into a stale industry.
  8.    #8  
    The way you put it actualloy helpa a lot. I like the idea that you put forth about the phone missing things so we, the users, can modify and make the phone what we as individuals want. Thats a fresh way of looking at it and to be honest, for me, that makes it worth it! I have another question...Is there patching and tweaking and homebrew apps available for all cell phone? ie Iphone? Do Iphone users get to have so much fun altering their phone? Because although I complain that Im in fear of breaking my phone, it is a lot fun when tweaking and patching when the phone doesnt crap out It's like a drug. I know what the consequences could be but now that Ive tried it, I cant stop!!
    its only half baked to those who previously had a smart phone lol , and yes imo its all worth the risk if you read first and ask questions first as well then you should be ok !! oh and make sure other people test the new stuff first lol and also after an update from palm wait long enough for all those gotta have it now people to do all the testing to see which patches work and which ones dont.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    There is no risk, almost every patch/ homebrew app has no chance of bricking a phone. You might break sonething for a little while, and if all else fails the dr is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    IMO, Most patches will work and if it doe snot work..You can remove it. I think people run into a lot of issues when installing themes on top of themes....without uninstalling first.

Also....most patches that make it into preware and/or webosquickinstall work fine. If you choose to try a patch that is not in one of those repositories..then you run a greater risk of messing up your phone....Mostly all these issues can be fixed with a little knowledge of linux, ipkg and making sure that your files are backed up appropriately that you are mucking with.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    its only half baked to those who previously had a smart phone lol , and yes imo its all worth the risk if you read first and ask questions first as well then you should be ok !! oh and make sure other people test the new stuff first lol and also after an update from palm wait long enough for all those gotta have it now people to do all the testing to see which patches work and which ones dont.
    I like the advise...Thanks.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    IMO, Most patches will work and if it doe snot work..You can remove it. I think people run into a lot of issues when installing themes on top of themes....without uninstalling first.

Also....most patches that make it into preware and/or webosquickinstall work fine. If you choose to try a patch that is not in one of those repositories..then you run a greater risk of messing up your phone....Mostly all these issues can be fixed with a little knowledge of linux, ipkg and making sure that your files are backed up appropriately that you are mucking with.
    You bring up a good point.............what is ipkg????????? Ive been wondering. Probably could have figued it out with a little research but havent made it to that one yet. Ive been busy trying to figure everything else out
    when someone helps you out and your thankful , hit the thanks button to the right to help them out . it just shows noobs who is helpful around here . thanks have a great day!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by shaidan6453 View Post
    ...what is ipkg? ...
    According to FileCoaster, .ipk is just the extension for the Homebrew apps, like .jpg or .gif for pictures or .doc for MS Word.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth1129 View Post
    According to FileCoaster, .ipk is just the extension for the Homebrew apps, like .jpg or .gif for pictures or .doc for MS Word.
    Makes sense..Thanks