Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I just purchased a Dictionary app from Palm's App Catalog, the product is listed as: English Dictionary and Thesarus by Ultralingua, Inc. and it was not something that was advertised correctly and hence is not something that I want.

It costs a whopping $9.99 and if it was as advertised, it would have been worth the money but it is not.

I've had Dictionaries on my Palm Devices so when I saw the first directory for the WebOs for use on Pre, I immediately got it.

However, unlike my old Palm dictionaries, this dictionary requires you to have a network connection. Something that is not useful for me. I sometimes like to look up word while on the subway to work (I live in NYC) where this is no network connection.

There was nothing in the description that said it 'required' a network connection, and considering that all of the dictionaries I have gotten in the past did not require a network connection, I assumed (since it didn't state anything) that I could use it off-line.

Heck, since you are required to use this dictionary online, I might as well use google to lookup a word and that is free!

So I believe I was tricked into getting this app, and I want a refund!

And there doesn't seem to be a way to get a refund for an app that did not disclose it's requirements before I made my purchase.

Thanks for you help in finding out how to get a refund when its needed!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

You'd need to contact Palm customer support. Not sure if there's anything they can do though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Hi,

I just purchased a Dictionary app from Palm's App Catalog, the product is listed as: English Dictionary and Thesarus by Ultralingua, Inc. and it was not something that was advertised correctly and hence is not something that I want.

It costs a whopping $9.99 and if it was as advertised, it would have been worth the money but it is not.

I've had Dictionaries on my Palm Devices so when I saw the first directory for the WebOs for use on Pre, I immediately got it.

However, unlike my old Palm dictionaries, this dictionary requires you to have a network connection. Something that is not useful for me. I sometimes like to look up word while on the subway to work (I live in NYC) where this is no network connection.

There was nothing in the description that said it 'required' a network connection, and considering that all of the dictionaries I have gotten in the past did not require a network connection, I assumed (since it didn't state anything) that I could use it off-line.

Heck, since you are required to use this dictionary online, I might as well use google to lookup a word and that is free!

So I believe I was tricked into getting this app, and I want a refund!

And there doesn't seem to be a way to get a refund for an app that did not disclose it's requirements before I made my purchase.

Thanks for you help in finding out how to get a refund when its needed!

Rob

From what I've read, Jason is correct. It seems the only way to get the refund is go through Palm Support and I'm sure they're going to want you to fill out something to petition the refund.

And ... who knows how long it will take.

Things like this may make Palm institute some sort of "trial" system for apps that get a lot of complaints...

- mrwebguy
    The description of the app is very misleading and certainly implies that you are purchasing an application, not a shortcut to a Web site. Oversight or intentional "marketing" ploy, it's not too cool.

I briefly considered purchasing that app but with a size of 98kb it seemed too good to be true. Glad I didn't buy it.

Good luck with the refund.
    Last edited by scottitude; 10/21/2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: dropped a word
    This is true with ALL the dictionary style apps from $9.99 to $49.99 today. All are about 99kB, so they are all web front ends.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    this app claims that it provides 'powerful reference at your fingertips wherever you go' this is terribly misleading and a complete lie. As not everywhere you go has a form of data connection. Shame on this apps marketer. I hope they will suffer from several lost costumers due to this error and it being posted here. A good option is to call your card compajy and demand theu take it off due to a bait and switch
    I don't know if filing a chargeback is the way to go. Chargebacks cost money, and then you're shafting palm, who may decide to lock out your account or something. Contact them first, see what they're willing to do.
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I second doing a chargeback. Palm needs to wake up and realize there should be an evaluation period. If the customer service won't do anything (and I doubt they will) it's really your only option.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    This is true with ALL the dictionary style apps from $9.99 to $49.99 today. All are about 99kB, so they are all web front ends.
    Yep, this really makes the price laughable. Why pay up to $50 for a web front end? When you can get the same content for free.
    The iphone version clearly stated no internet connection required. They should make it clear that for webos, you need an internet connection.
    Last edited by icesalmon; 10/22/2009 at 01:11 AM.
    This is completely outrageous. This developers are at the very least blacklisting themselves from my money. Shame on them.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I wondered if these weren't just web apps before looking at the kb size, once I saw the size I know someone was getting ripped off. If its a web app I can use an online translator.
    Wow, I'm shocked.
    I was very happy to see Ultralingua in the app catalog.
    I've heard of their impressive iPhone apps.
    I almost got an iPod Touch because of them.
    Glad the app I thought I wanted didn't make its way into the catalog yet.
    If you haven't already, make sure to give the app a poor review and mention how misleading it is.

Hopefully it will prevent others from purchasing it and force Palm and/or the developers to clarify things.

I agree, there needs to be a way to get refunds or have a trial before purchasing.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Yep, this really makes the price laughable. Why pay up to $50 for a web front end? When you can get the same content for free.
    You can't necessarily get all the same data for free, because their back end may be proprietary. The only thing you can say is that it requires a web backend.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    yeah
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I understand the frustration, but this goes back to a fundamental limitation with the SDK, not to mention that Palm is pushing the web app approach pretty heavily. Whether you realized it or not, you bought a device that intentionally leans on the cloud a lot more than other devices. Not only is an online web app the only way to package a large dictionary right now, but it's an approach being encouraged by Palm.

The developer should make it more clear to customers that these types of apps need a network connection on the Pre. But in the end, customers also need to be aware of it. Some stuff is pretty much implicit on this platform right now.
    even better than just web, this is replaced by the keytoss patch
    Anything over 1.99 Should have a trialware version that expires after 7 days.
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by CTL Advance View Post
    Anything over 1.99 Should have a trialware version that expires after 7 days.
    Unfortunately right now with cookies being deleted at uninstall people would be able to just re-download the trial app and start all over again. This whole approach could still work if Palm would made sure a trial version can only be downloaded ONCE by any given user.

At the moment I don't think it's possible.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast