Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by worthb View Post
    As for your second item, there is an "ALL" button on popup launchpoints that lets you choose from all available phone numbers or email addresses.
    Sorry, but I can't find this button anywhere.

Where should I be looking?

For popup launchpoints, I click it and it loads my contact list. I choose a contact and I can set the title, choose exactly one each of Dial/Email/SMS, there is a checkbox for Auto-Dial, and the create button. Nothing else.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Sorry, but I can't find this button anywhere.

Where should I be looking?

For popup launchpoints, I click it and it loads my contact list. I choose a contact and I can set the title, choose exactly one each of Dial/Email/SMS, there is a checkbox for Auto-Dial, and the create button. Nothing else.
    Tobias,
    So when you create your popup launchpoint, you are specifying the primary phone number and email address, but the launchpoint also stores all of the other phone numbers and email addresses for that contact.

Now when you use the popup launchpoint, next to the dial button you will see a button labeled "all" that will let you choose to dial any of the phone numbers for that contact, and they will be labeled (w), (h), (m) etc. Same with email.

-worthb
    LaunchPoint Speed Dial - There's no faster way to dial, email, or text, period.
    Now when you use the popup launchpoint, next to the dial button you will see a button labeled "all" that will let you choose to dial any of the phone numbers for that contact, and they will be labeled (w), (h), (m) etc. Same with email.
    I understand now. That definitely takes care of that! Thanks. :-)
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    Q: How do I update a launchpoint?
    A: To update a launchpoint, delete it following the instructions above, and recreate it.

Wow, that's a pretty crappy way to have to change one phone number if you have a lot of other information associated with the launch icon. Does WebOS provide no EDIT capability of launch points?
    thornev,
    Unfortunately, at this time webOS does not allow for editing of launchpoints. It also does not allow an app like LaunchPoint Speed Dial to re-query your contacts to see if their information has changed. Because of these limitations, it requires a manual process to update a launchpoint. These are limitations built into webOS and are completely beyond our control, but we have submitted feature requests to Palm to allow such access in the future.

However, a dedicated launchpoint only has one piece of information associated with it, the number to dial or text or the email address. Popup launchpoints have at most a number to dial , an email address, and a number to text, so it's not a big deal to recreate a launchpoint. I guess I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "if you have a lot of other information associated with the launch icon".

As the benefits of webOS's "Synergy" are extended to third party applications like LaunchPoint, we will be able to do more with launchpoints that keep themselves updated automatically.

-worthb
    Another question:

/var/luna/launchpoints contains my personal launcher icons, including the ones created by launchpoints. If I backup this directory, uninstall Launchpoints, reinstall and then restore the directory will my launcher icons be restored?

If this is the case, is it also possible to add this app to the Save/Restore application?
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Another question:

/var/luna/launchpoints contains my personal launcher icons, including the ones created by launchpoints. If I backup this directory, uninstall Launchpoints, reinstall and then restore the directory will my launcher icons be restored?

If this is the case, is it also possible to add this app to the Save/Restore application?
    While it would be possible to backup and restore the files in /var/luna/launchpoints, there are a few issues which would make this difficult or just plain more trouble than it's worth:

#1. SMS Launchpoints use 2 pieces of information, a contactId which represents the person to send the text message to, and a contactPointId, which represents the phone number to send the message to. Both of these values are a random numeric string, and are likely to be different from one device to another, or even on the same device following a webOSDoctor session or a profile restore, so even if you stored and recreated the launchpoints, it's likely they would not work, at least not SMS launchpoints. While dial and email launchpoints do store the actual phone number and email address, they are likely going to be affected by issue #2 below.

#2. Launchpoints with a photo icon contain a path and filename that points to the icon file. Again, this file name is made up of random numbers, and changes each time a contact's photo is changed (hence, the problem with the "broken" photo icons that display the half-moon when the icon image can no longer be found.) As with #1 above, when switching devices, or even restoring the palm profile on the same device, the file names will not be the same and therefore all launchpoints will show the half-moon icon instead of the correct photo icon.

So, the net result is that nearly all launchpoints will need to be recreated for either cosmetic or functional reasons.

The upcoming update of LaunchPoint Speed Dial (version 0.9.5) may address issue #2 to some extent. When you create a launchpoint in the new version, it modifies the contact's photo icon to add the raised button effect, and saves a copy in the LaunchPoint app directory. When the launchpoint is created, it point to this newly created icon image, which will never be deleted, even if the contact updates their facebook profile image, etc. The LaunchPoint app directory is stored in the encrypted file partition with all of the other apps. A backup app would have to backup the launchpoints and the corresponding icon images, but this would only work for new launchpoints that were created after the release of the upcoming version.

I do appreciate your suggestions. Someday webOS will have much more functionality that will make these workarounds unnecessary, but until then we keep hacking away.

-worthb
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    LaunchPoint Speed Dial is in the running for the webOS Hot Apps contest. Palm Hot Apps This contest has 2 categories, free apps and paid apps. As a paid app, LaunchPoint Speed Dial is competing against the other apps based on total revenue, not simply download counts.

This means that at $0.99, LaunchPoint has to get 2 to 3 times as many downloads as other apps that are priced higher, just to match their revenue numbers. In spite of this disadvantage, LaunchPoint has a ranking of 73, which isn't too bad for an app priced at the low end of the scale.

The biggest issue for LaunchPoint has been visibility in the app catalog. It used to be that releasing an update would improve visibility, but with the last few updates, with hundreds of apps being released and updated each day, apps quickly drop off the "What's New" category. This leaves the "Hottest Apps" category in the app catalog as the best place for an app to be discovered.

The "Hottest Apps" ranking in the app catalog is based on user review star ratings. Despite having a majority of 5-star reviews, there have been a few lower ratings, most related to issues caused by the webOS 1.4 update. Many who left low ratings promised to update their ratings when the issues were resolved, but never did so, and these ratings drag down the average rating, making LaunchPoint less visible in the "Hottest Apps" ranking.

If you would like to show your support for LaunchPoint Speed Dial, and help it to receive the visibility it deserves, the easiest way to do so is to leave a review in the app catalog and be sure to give a star-rating. We all know that LaunchPoint Speed Dial is the quickest and easiest way to call, email and text. Let others know too, by helping to spread the word!

Thanks again for your support.

-worthb
    worthb, I am glad that your app is rating so well. Market pricing your app will drive more revenue than if you price it too high. I think the price is right for the functionality. I don't think that you would see much of an improvement if you raised the price. You are right in trying to drive its visibility in the ratings.

Right now I have a hard time rating it 5 stars until the pictures stop reverting to crescent moon icons. I am glad that the shortcuts still function, but the pictures need to remain static. It would be nice to use Synergy to update the icons as people update their pictures, but until that works right I would prefer static pictures. I know that you are working on an update to be released soon so I will wait and rate the application when you release this new version.

Thanks,
    Mark
    worthb, the newly proposed pics/icons look great!
    Last edited by sjamie; 04/16/2010 at 11:18 PM.
    I find myself checking this thread a few times a day to check for latest info and release. Please update this GREAT program. Thanks
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I just gave you a 5-star review worthb, I love the app. I've been using it since the homebrew days and its definately come a long way.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    So, here are a couple screenshots to show what the new photo icons will look like in version 0.9.5.

Here is the new screenshot that will appear in the app catalog:

Big props to El Valluco who created the final border design for the new photo icons and also created the new screenshot for the app catalog.

I'm hoping that version 0.9.5 will be available in the app catalog before the end of the week.

-worthb
    Looking good...
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Version 0.9.5 of LaunchPoint Speed Dial should be available in the app catalog any day now. This version has new, unique features that will allow for unprecedented control over the appearance of your photo icons. To help encourage development of these new features, we are giving away $500 to the individual(s) we feel best helps the LaunchPoint user community take advantage of these new features. The details are posted here.

I'm very excited about this new update. LaunchPoint has always been popular with those that like to patch and modify their webOS experience to fit their own needs and style, and version 0.9.5 will allow for this on an even greater scale.

Be sure to subscribe to the above linked post so that you can follow the development of these new features as they are explained and announced.

-worthb
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Version 0.9.5 of LaunchPoint Speed Dial should be available in the app catalog any day now. This version has new, unique features that will allow for unprecedented control over the appearance of your photo icons. To help encourage development of these new features, we are giving away $500 to the individual(s) we feel best helps the LaunchPoint user community take advantage of these new features. The details are posted here.
    Just to follow up. The pop up still requires the app to be running in the dashboard, correct? The only update is the picture changing issue and the look of the icons, right? I'm just a little frustrated about the popup thing that is the best part about this app, IMO. I'm guessing that with palm changing the way apps launch this will not change until they change it.
    No, popups do NOT require LaunchPad to be running in the dashboard. However, doing so makes popups launch much faster.

worthb, the new pics look great! Thank you. Did you fix the SMS Unknown issue in this update? In the next update, could you make it possible to hide the dashboard icon while running in dashboard mode? That would be really helpful!
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajamin24 View Post
    Just to follow up. The pop up still requires the app to be running in the dashboard, correct? The only update is the picture changing issue and the look of the icons, right? I'm just a little frustrated about the popup thing that is the best part about this app, IMO. I'm guessing that with palm changing the way apps launch this will not change until they change it.
    Ajamin,
    The main visible component of this update is the appearance of the icons. Behind the scenes, there was a lot of work that went into making the icons permanent, and also giving users the ability to customize the appearance of their icons. As far as the way that popups launch, as sjamie pointed out, popups work faster when the dashboard process is running. Your are correct, Palm has changed the way that apps launch, and from what they are saying, this is a permanent change. Therefore, I am now looking into alternative ways to handle popups.

What I plan to do is to create a LaunchPoint Booster app. This would be a homebrew app that would run in the background invisibly. When LaunchPoint Speed Dial sees that this app is installed, it would create popup launchpoints that would be handled by the booster app. Being a homebrew app, the booster app would not have to meet the criteria of the official app catalog, such as the requirement that all background processes always have a visible icon in the dashboard.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    worthb, the new pics look great! Thank you. Did you fix the SMS Unknown issue in this update? In the next update, could you make it possible to hide the dashboard icon while running in dashboard mode? That would be really helpful!
    sjamie,
    I'm glad that you like the appearance of the new icons. The one thing that I have learned over the last couple of weeks is that this is a very subjective thing. Some people love the look of the new icons, while others may not. That is why we built into this version the ability for users to override the appearance of the photo icons.

This does not require any programming or "hacking". It is as simple as plugging in your phone in usb mode and copying a file onto the usb drive. These overlay files will change the appearance of the border effect that is applied to the icons. It is even possible to have separate overlays for dial, email and text launchpoints, so it is visibly apparent what type of launchpoint the icon represents. (for example, dial launchpoints could have a small telephone icon in the corner, or a green border, or whatever you choose).

We will be hosting a collection of these overlays as they are developed. They will be available on our (recently re-vamped) website worthwhiletech.com. This is the reason for the $500 promotion which I mentioned in a previous post, to spur the creation of new icon designs.

As for the "unknown SMS" issue, a workaround has been available since version 0.9.0. You can create a "group text" icon with a single recipient. What version 0.9.5 adds, is that now if you select a single recipient, the launchpoint created uses the contact's photo icon, if available, or the default sms icon if they have no photo.

Please read my prior post concerning hiding the dashboard icon.

-worthb
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Version 0.9.5 is finally here. A LOT of development and testing has gone into this version. As mentioned in my prior post, there is a lot of new functionality behind the scenes that will become more important as we go forward. Some of these new features are not accessible from within LaunchPoint yet, but I'm trying to make available the technical details for those who are interested in taking advantage of these new features now.

There are 2 people that I must thank for their contributions to this release. First is graphic designer and professional photographer Daniel Perez, known on this forum as El Valluco. He is responsible for the design of the border effect for the new photo icons. If you need any photography or design work, check out his website at danielperezphoto.com or send him an email: "dp at danielperezphoto dot com".

Second is my chief beta tester and worthwhiletech.com webmaster (and she's also my sister). She's known on precentral as user nlworth. She's been lurking on these forums, but I imagine you'll be hearing more from her as we go forward. She has done a great job with the new website. Check it out (you can even follow us on twitter and facebook).

We have great plans for LaunchPoint Speed Dial going forward. We were recently accepted into a beta program with Palm to test new functionality that would give apps better access to contact information. We are hopeful that this means that some future version of LaunchPoint will be able to automatically update contact photos, and even phone numbers and email addresses, as they change. We are also working on new app ideas. If you have an idea for a "worthwhile" app, drop us a line at support@worthwhiletech.com.

-worth
    I just bought this app, it serves a great purpose and for that I thank you. I'm also really interested in the homebrew extra you mentioned.

am I correct that the only way to launch a messaging conversation card is with the sms? the group option lets me send to a gtalk account, but it only loads up a new message card, not the current conversation for that contact. is it not possible to select a gtalk contact for a launcher the same way sms launches?

(sorry if this has been asked, I searched the thread, but didn't read all ten pages)
    Last edited by tedrampart; 05/11/2010 at 07:48 AM.