Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I'm seeing some apps detailed on precentral that are showing up in the app catalog as paid apps. Some of these I'd actually like to buy, however, for Canadian Pre owners, the app catalog is still in beta, and paid apps do not even show up.

I tried to get some answers from Palm tonight on their support chat, but no help there... no surprise.

When will paid apps be made available to Canadians? What is keeping them from us?

chat log below.

9:14 PM Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app06.logmeinrescue.com...
    9:14 PM Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    9:15 PM Support session established with Simon.

9:15 PM Simon: Hello.
    9:15 PM Simon: How may I help you today?
    9:15 PM Brent : When will paid apps be made available to Canadian palm pre owners?
    9:16 PM Simon: I understand that you to know the release date for Paid applications for Bell mobility users.
    9:17 PM Simon: I will be glad to assist you.
    9:17 PM Brent : yes, when will the app catalog be udated from beta to support the paid apps that are currently available to us sprint customers
    9:18 PM Simon: I am sorry, I don't know the exact date.
    9:18 PM Simon: Please check our Web Site for updates.
    9:18 PM Brent : roughly? what is the holdup?
    9:18 PM Simon: Once the applications are available, you will be notified.
    9:20 PM Simon: I am sorry, I don't have any time frame.
    9:20 PM Brent : ok, is there a supervisor there that can be of more help. I bought this phone expecting to be able to get applications for it
    9:21 PM Simon: Give me a minute.
    9:22 PM Brent : ok
    9:28 PM Simon: I am sorry for the delay.
    9:28 PM Brent : ok hi
    9:29 PM Brent : any answers? Paid apps have been available in the app catalog in the US since Oct 5.
    9:29 PM Simon: Please be on hold while I transfer the chat to Supervisor.
    9:30 PM Brent : ok

9:30 PM Transferring session to another technician...
    9:30 PM Support session established with Saben.

9:31 PM Saben: Hello Brent, this is supervisor Saben.
    9:31 PM Brent : hi. my question is when will paid apps be made available to Canadian palm pre users in the app catalog
    9:31 PM Saben: I understand that you are trying to
    9:32 PM Brent : US pre owners have been able to purchase apps since Oct 5
    9:32 PM Saben: I am sorry, I understand that you are looking for paid application on device.
    9:32 PM Saben: Yes, you are correct.
    9:33 PM Brent : so when will Canadian owners be able to purchase apps, and why the 2nd class treatment for us?
    9:33 PM Saben: As of now, the paid app catalog is available for US only.
    9:33 PM Saben: We do not have any info on the future release.
    9:34 PM Saben: Once it is available, the info will be posted in our website.
    9:34 PM Saben: Also you will get a update regarding this on your Pre Phone.
    9:34 PM Brent : ok so noone knows any dates. thanks
    9:34 PM Saben: I request you to wait till the paid app catalog is available for canada.
    9:35 PM Saben: Is there anything else I can help you with?
    9:35 PM Brent : no thanks
    fyi - all Pre App Catalogs are in beta. App catalog is likey being held up in the north country due to setting up a system that works internationally. There are loads of issues when selling internationally. Non the least of these is making sure developers get paid.

You will likely see them soon.
    There are logistical and legal things that need to be looked after before the app store can go live in the Dominion (currency issues, CRTC stuff, Canadian content laws...blah, blah, blah). Bell and PALM are the only folks with the time frame unfortunately.

Also the app store is still in beta....it will be open to you soon. Your not missing anything anyway, yet.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/22/2009 at 08:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Not sure why they couldn't have had all that worked out already, its not like they decided overnight to sell the pre here with Bell. I'm sure that was a long time in the making, so they should have sorted that out when all the details of distribution, etc were being finallized before it was ever released here.

There are apps I would like to purchase, but aside from their mention on precentral, and now the palmnewapps twitter page, I can't even preview them in the app catalog, let alone buy them, so, yeah, I am missing out.
    If I was still living in Edmonton I suppose I would be feeling the same way you do. It's hard getting a new toy and not being able to play with all the features. Given all the little things missing in webOS and the ups and downs with the apps and the app store (like the install limit) I'm not surprised the USA is the only market with paid apps. My guess is once the kinks are worked out you will be able to buy. Speculation....app store out of beta when Pixi launches?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Very frustrating...and now I've discovered that some free apps, i.e. Trapster, are not showing up on the App Catalog. Is there another limitation to the Canadian app catalog besides paid vs. free apps?
    Where are paid apps for canadian users ? I already have 3-4 apps that I can no longer update cuz the updated final version is 1.99$ on the app catalog !!! What will I do when the 30 days trial period of another of my app expires since I cannot buy the final version ?

Anyone got news about when (or if) paid apps are going to be available for us in Canada ?

Thanks !
    Same here, I hope they will be out in the next update, this is getting really annoying.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F_r_a_n_k View Post
    What will I do when the 30 days trial period of another of my app expires since I cannot buy the final version ?
    you should email palm and express your frustration, and email the developer and tell them you would like to buy their app, but can't, and ask THEM to put pressure on palm to do something about this.
    Is this a Palm problem? Or a Bell problem?

I sent an email to Bell support, if the response is any good I will post it.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I talked today to both Bell and Palm about this and other issues such as itunes sync, app limit etc. Bell tech support knows absolutely nothing about any of these issues. The Palm support for Bell phones tech knew only slightly more, didn't have any solutions, but said the app store issue was due to a request from Bell. I don't really buy that. Why would a carrier want to limit something that could attract customers to their phones?

The Palm rep said the app store issue might be fixed in the next update, possibly within the next couple of months.

I've had enough of this nonsense, and am getting out of my contract, and very reluctantly moving on to a phone that actually does what it promises.
    The people I have spoken to at Bell support don't even know what I am talking about. Palm wont tell me what the hold up is or when the App Catalog will be available.

I will hang on for the next update and if that doesn't include paid apps I will probably switch to the iPhone
    Hmm. I'm just wondering, musing really, but I wonder since the app catalog is out of beta with 1.3.5, and is now offering paid apps to US territories, could it be that once 1.3.5 is out on Bell, paid apps will FINELY be available in Canada?

Unless of course they are waiting to launch paid apps with Telus...

<insert hope here>
    "I request you to wait till the paid app catalog is available for canada"

Sigh, that is the lame. It's the same response I got when I was chatting about Photodialer. I wanted to update and I coudn't, so deleted the app and it still wants to update.

They told me last week "I request you to try again in a few days", but totally side stepped the fact the original question instead of simply saying 'I don't have an answer'.

I wish Palm woudl buy this bloody thing back from me.
    I'm frustrated too, but I think we should all just take a breather.

The next update is 1.4, it will have GPU acceleration, video recording and many other enhancements.

With any luck, it will also have the Canadian app store.

My guess is that Bell is playing hardball with Palm. Palm doesn't want to complain because they don't want to tick Bell off.

It will happen. It sucks to have to wait. But I'd rather they get their ducks in a row and deliver something polished that works.

And hey, think of it this way. At least we know Palm is aware of the issue and everyone's frustration. I have no idea when or if Google Voice is ever going to get to Canada. The app store WILL happen. Google Voice, I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I'm frustrated too, but I think we should all just take a breather.

The next update is 1.4, it will have GPU acceleration, video recording and many other enhancements.

With any luck, it will also have the Canadian app store.
    let's keep this in perspective. The European Paid App Catalog will be open in March. The Canadian Paid App Catalog has yet to be announced. Chances are that implies it'll happen after March
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I'm praying for it in 1.4 but I do not really see that happening.

The thing I do not understand is why Europe is getting it before us? We got the pre before they did, by quite a while. And we are closer to the US, and I'm just going to go into even worse reasons.

I'm getting really fed up though, I LOVE the phone but this is a huge problem, I want paid apps and the abilities that comes with those.
    Gee Jason, thanks for the dose of reality, a man can dream can't he!!!!

I know, it doesn't look good for the Canadian app store and I know Bell blames Palm but I really just don't see it. Palm knows the importance of the app store. They obviously have been able to settle issues with the ENTIRE CONTINENT OF EUROPE. So to me, that leaves Bell as the culprit.

As a content creator, I realize the importance of international agreements for intellectual property, believe me! It's actually really complicated. I know. And hey, we STILL can't get HULU, or Google Voice and a myriad of other wonderful tech innovations that are tantalizingly just across the border. What is frustrating is that we know it's very possible to get the app store, and we know it is likely, we know Palm is aware of the problem and working on it. We know it's coming, we just don't know when.

And I'm seriously thinking about starting an email campaign to the powers that be both at Palm AND Bell.

Is anyone with me? I'm very serious. Can we get the email addresses of the best person, high up, to deal with this issue and start an email campaign?
    Last edited by Vociferous; 01/26/2010 at 07:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    hey. If you want to start an email campaign you have my support, fully and wholly.
    I'm down with that too...all these new Gameloft games are a big tease
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast