Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    We all know that the Pre lacks an intergrated form of Yahoo Messenger, but right on this site, there is proof that it exists. (in case you missed the article, here it is again: http://www.precentral.net/?page=3) What I'm thinkin is, we have some crazy smart devs, and linux hackers here. Couldn't someone just get a hold of a Pre that does have YIM already see what makes it tick and copy that and make it a patch?
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    who need yahoo??? we need MSN live and facebook chat!
    This has been done.

I'm using the mobile site so searching and linking is a bit tough for me at the moment, but Greg has already put together a package that adds Yahoo, Windows Live, ICQ and Facebook messaging, and is working on adding several others.

I've been using it for yahoo for a couple of weeks with no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    did u update allready fixing the bugs?
    To be honest, I think most of the bugs at this point are people who are not following directions. Not all of them, and the installation is a bit touchy.

However, I've successfully used this on a Pre that had undergone an OTA update and was already heavily patched, a freshly doctored phone, and also had this continue to work after installing many patches after the plugins.

It works great.

Just install the latest version using the latest preware.
    To be honest, I think most of the bugs at this point are people who are not following directions. Not all of them, and the installation is a bit touchy.

However, I've successfully used this on a Pre that had undergone an OTA update and was already heavily patched, a freshly doctored phone, and also had this continue to work after installing many patches after the plugins.

It works great.

i've been following that thread and i think u guys are doing a great job !.. i want to install it but at the same time im scare to using doctor!

It works great.

by the way !!!.. You installed tru preware? where is it ???
    What on earth would you need to use the doctor for?

Just install the plugin with WebOSQuickInstall.

All of the issues with it not working on updated Pres were corrected 2 releases ago.

1. Install it.
    2. Reboot your Pre if it doesn't work right away.
    3. ????
    4. Profit.

Seriously, that's it.
    What on earth would you need to use the doctor for?

Just install the plugin with WebOSQuickInstall.

All of the issues with it not working on updated Pres were corrected 2 releases ago.

1. Install it.
    2. Reboot your Pre if it doesn't work right away.
    3. ????
    4. Profit.

Seriously, that's it.
    i mean using the doctor because a lof of the ppl who installed the plugin have problems and they need to use the doctor!!!

P.D: And u said install tru preware?
    No. Download the latest .ipk from the first post of that discussion and install through WebOSQuickInstall. It's not currently available in Preware.

As far as people needing to run WebOSDr to fix problems, that really should not be an issue with the latest version. However, don't install anything you're uncomfortable with.
    This has been done.

I'm using the mobile site so searching and linking is a bit tough for me at the moment, but Greg has already put together a package that adds Yahoo, Windows Live, ICQ and Facebook messaging, and is working on adding several others.

I've been using it for yahoo for a couple of weeks with no problems.
    My question is why is greg making this instead of palm????
    Quote Originally Posted by netviper View Post
    My question is why is greg making this instead of palm????
    The only possible explanation I can give, which is really stretching to make up an excuse for palm, is that Yahoo messenger (and most every messaging app other than gtalk and AIM as far as I know) will not allow you to be logged in from more than one location, so if you log in on your desktop, you get kicked off the Pre and vice versa. Palm could be working on setting up their own conduit that would work around this.

Of course, that's a pretty huge stretch considering that anyone who uses one of those programs already knows this and has already learned to live with it.
    I'm sure others saw the post on the articles page about some people getting yahoo messenger showing up. I just restored my phone so it was on 1.1 and when I went into the messenger there was no yahoo option just like before. I went to my email later and noticed I hadn't added my yahoo account so I did. when i went back to the messenger to see if I missed adding anything there I had yahoo so I added it. Maybe someone else can try it and see if it works real quick, but I'm happyto see it. I am editing this now since I just noticed that none of the buddies are showing up in the list and under contacts there still is no yahoo option which might be part of the issue. Looks like its closer though.
    Last edited by Skribbles505; 10/27/2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: new info to update