1.    #1  
    App Request: WiFileMgr.

One of the things I love about the Pre is no-cable. When I need to charge the Pre at night it rest on the TouchStone so why do I have to plug in a cable to transfer files (like photos, PDF documents, MP3 music files and clearly some video). I love changing my Wallpaper since one of my hobbies is photography, so after a photo-safari weekend I want to upload to the Pre a couple of master pieces.

Does anyone know about or how to create a small WiFi controlled File Manager for the Pre that will work with the rest of my network. Since I can ping the Pre and see the IP address I should be able to do what I do between my PC laptop, PC workstation and Apple Powerbook like I can when I plug the USB cable into the Pre. The ploy here is clearly that one need to have a type of login security since everyone that can see the WiFi that I am on at a public location can also see my Pre.

I am Windows developer and have been since Windows was called 3. I have never done anything for WebOS, but I am sure I can learn that too if needed.

Any and all input is welcome.
    you can use sftp.

Setup SFTP - WebOS Internals
  3.    #3  
    Lclarkjr, Thanks - I will look into this solution. Rooting and working on command line level is not what I wanted, but sometime one have to go rain to get to the end of the rainbow.
    sftp is NOT working from the command line. It is exactly what you're asking for.

With a good sftp client, once you have set it up on your Pre, you can browse and manage files on the Pre over WiFi, or even over EVDO if you set it up correctly.
    Understand your hesitation to access linux directly but really it is very simple these days. Takes total of about 15 minutes and is automated via a script and very easy to follow directions.

See procedures at:
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
  6.    #6  
    I assume WinSCP on the PC will work here.

Freeware SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol), FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and SCP (Secure Copy) client for Windows using SSH (Secure Shell). Its main function is safe copying of files between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this basic function, WinSCP manages some other actions with files.
    Yes, that should work.
    Okay, dumb question of the night, if we do the install of SFTP, etc... does it get messed up during the updates, or do we have redo all this after each update, or is it update proof??
    It does not get undone during updates. With that said though some including myself have had their linux user password disabled due to an update. However you simply re-run the script and in 5mins your up and ready to go again.
  10.    #10  
    Sometimes frustration gets to you! ==> I my case I selected to remove the dropbear program and then go to How to SSH into Your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog! where there are instruction on how to SSH into your Palm Pre.

I had already installed the Terminal program on the Pre so it was just a case of hitting the little Pre keyboard and boy does this work. I can highly recommend the trouble of typing the long commands. Before you do so you should take the time and visit Tiny URL - create a shorter link it will save lots of typos.

Now I have WinSCP running via the Wifi and I can drag and drop files till I am blue in my face. Note: To keep the SSH alive you either have to connect the Pre with your USB cable (what a drag) in Just Charging mode and better place the Pre on the Touchstone and it will not go into sleep mode (you have to love the world of less cables – “there is no string on me”).

Well I do want to say thanks to all of you guys on Pre Central Forum and my perfect girlfriend Shay that knows everything that looks like UNIX or Linux. I should have introduced her to the Pre much earlier, but now I know what I could give here for Xmas if just Verizon will carry the Pre.