Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I'm considering buying a Pre. Before I do so, however, I'd like to know whether I'll be able to buy Apps from where I live (Switzerland). The Pre hasn't been officially launched here yet but the unlocked GSM version is available.
    What methods of payment does Palm offer?

As neither the Android Market nor the Blackberry App World are available here (despite the fact that both Android and Blackberry devices have been officially available in Switzerland) I'm cautious in this respect.

regards,

dakis
    Quote Originally Posted by dakis View Post
    is the App Catalog internationally accessible?
    Yes...it is live in Canada right now. However it is currently not supporting paid apps there but will be soon (or relatively soon).
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I wonder the same, hoping to import a Pre from Germany but not until I know if the App Catalog is locked to a German o2-version or if its possible to change to english version.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    The German phone can be set to operate in English. Simple setting change.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    I wonder the same, hoping to import a Pre from Germany but not until I know if the App Catalog is locked to a German o2-version or if its possible to change to english version.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    The German phone can be set to operate in English. Simple setting change.
    Im aware of that, but it might be so that the phone is somehow locked to the German App Store and im not willing to risk that until i know for sure.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Im aware of that, but it might be so that the phone is somehow locked to the German App Store and im not willing to risk that until i know for sure.
    I'm thinking the same thing - will wait until I'm certain I an use the App Catalog. Not being able to buy apps is already a major let-down. So far, the only platform that offers an app store in Switzerland is the iPhone :-/
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I just read on O2 Germany's website that the Palm Pre they're selling can (for now) only be used with German SIM-cards. This is because the Pre doesn't allow for the APN (GPRS access point) to be altered. It comes pre-configured with access point configs for the major German providers but as soon as you insert a different SIM, data services will stop working.

So importing from Germany is a no-go for now. They've promised to soon release an upgrade - but who knows if they will. The whole thing looks to me like they did it on purpose.