Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Hello all,
    Just wanted to pound out a quick tutorial on how to hotsync via Sprint's Network(or any other carrier).. i.e. from anywhere, not just when at home with WI-FI.

1. Ensure you have syncing setup at home with no issues via wi-fi(not bluetooth).
    2. If you are at home around your router you will need to disable wi-fi on the Pre for the time being.
    3. Log into your Router's setup interface through your computers browser and look for "Port Range Forwarding". I attempted to do this with various discreet Port numbers I found on the internet and was unsuccessful, so ensure you are on "Port Range Forwarding".
    4. Forward port numbers 14230-14240(the range) to the Internal IP address(usually 192.168.x.x) that you previously setup within Classic. There will be two sets of fields for the port range just put 14230-14240 in both sets.
    5. Now in your computers browser goto What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address and note the External IP Address listed on the webpage(big bold letters in center of the screen).
    6. Open hotsync within Classic but DO NOT execute a hotsync operation yet. On the drop down menu below the hotsync button you touch the "Select Pc..." option.
    7. Click Next... it will say it was UNABLE to locate a PC on your LAN (this is normal, if it does detect a PC then you probably still have wifi enabled on your Pre, disable it, try again.)
    8. Click Other... Type in the IP address that you got from What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address
    9. Click Next...
    10. Click Done...
    11. Using the drop down menu select the new IP address that you just typed from What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address(you should also see your old IP address from your wifi sync)
    12. Execute the Hotsync now by touching the button in the center and it should work just as it did with the wifi sync.

Disclaimers:
    I have been using this method for a few days and it works flawlessly for me. You may also use a Dynamic DNS address if you have one already setup as opposed to the external IP address. This can be setup without first setting up wifi if you so choose, I stipulated setting it up via wifi first because it was better to get that going prior to introducing new variables to whatever problems you may already be having. Once setup you can sync via wifi from somewhere like Starbucks if you so choose.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions or offer suggestion on changes to the tutorial. I will try to clean it up and add pictures later on if it's needed.
    Last edited by daaknes; 10/12/2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Fixed number of steps...
    Wow.

Just shared this on our Facebook page and tweeted about it
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Has anyone been able to get Classic to hotsync using the above method other than myself? Maybe no news is good news...
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Sounds complicated. It was complicated enough to get it to sync wifi, so I guess trying to get it to sync using your method scared me away forwarding port numbers and all.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Bigger Disclaimer:

This is not secure! Your data is neither encrypted nor is there anything to prevent some hacker from accessing your hotsync service, your data, or potentially your entire machine that this is running on. I would NOT recommend doing this. Palm never intended for people to use hotsync over the internet this way.

A better way, also slightly more complicated, would be to set up hamachi on both the Pre and the machine at home and then have your Classic app hotsync to your home computer's hamachi address (5.x.x.x). This would be encrypted and would not force you to leave your computer's hotsync ports open to the entire internet, it'd just go over the hamachi vpn connection.
    You should encrypt the data stream by using a VPN tunnel. This is how I did this with my Treo 650. Unfortunately, the sync took 20 minutes and was thus not very pratical. However, I don't think there is any VPN software available for the Pre at present, except for Hamachi which I am not familiar with.
    Anyone able to hotsync any new apps to classic. I have a tv guide program that daily downloads a PRC and puts it in the install folder for the palm desktop BUT when I hotsync over the network I cant install the file . nothing from the install folder gets installed into classic.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Anyone able to hotsync any new apps to classic. I have a tv guide program that daily downloads a PRC and puts it in the install folder for the palm desktop BUT when I hotsync over the network I cant install the file . nothing from the install folder gets installed into classic.
    I'm using My Original Pocket TV Manager which I used on my Treo 700p, which Downloads my Local and Dishnetworks TV Listings using a subscription to Schedule Direct. I have it scheduled to download listings automatically every several days. It then sets the downloaded PTVBrowser.pdb to install during the next sync. Then I sync by WIFI. Works Great !

Chas Palm
    Thats exactly what I cant do. I also have Pocket TV Manager and I have the listing from Schedules Direct . It download it and puts the PRB file into the INSTALL folder on my desktop BUT when I sync over wifi it does not install apps. Nothing I put into the install folder installs . I have to manually copy the file into the INSTALL folder on the PRE in the Classics folder then it puts the data into tv manager.

How do you get it to install PRC files ??

Quote Originally Posted by chaspalm View Post
    I'm using My Original Pocket TV Manager which I used on my Treo 700p, which Downloads my Local and Dishnetworks TV Listings using a subscription to Schedule Direct. I have it scheduled to download listings automatically every several days. It then sets the downloaded PTVBrowser.pdb to install during the next sync. Then I sync by WIFI. Works Great !

Chas Palm
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Thats exactly what I cant do. I also have Pocket TV Manager and I have the listing from Schedules Direct . It download it and puts the PRB file into the INSTALL folder on my desktop BUT when I sync over wifi it does not install apps. Nothing I put into the install folder installs . I have to manually copy the file into the INSTALL folder on the PRE in the Classics folder then it puts the data into tv manager.

How do you get it to install PRC files ??
    I wish I could tell you I did something special.....

I set the PTV Browser to automatically download new listings every 2 days.
    It transfers the new pdb file to the palm install, which then installs it to the Pocket TV Manager in Classic on my PRE

You do do have to have the Hotsync manager running on your desktop

ChasPalm