Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    So I may have missed this - but when did the AP's App get pulled from the app catalog? They always complain because no one wants to buy newspapers anymore and having to provide news for free - so perhaps they pulled their app because that is going to cause people to go pickup a newspaper (yah right).

    - D2G
  2. #2  
    I was out here searching for a thread earlier on this, didn't see one, re-searched and saw that you posted something... It's definitely missing... in my case, there was an update for the app, i downloaded said update, and the app started acting funky (no icon, couldn't be moved around in the launcher, long loading times). So I deleted the app and tried to redownload it... and it's not out there anymore....
  3. #3  
    Whoa, I'm glad I still have it. I use it a lot.
  4. #4  
    I see the update now. It wasn't there a day or two ago when I ran the update app.

    I wonder if they intentionally removed their app from the store, and then released an update for existing users that will break their app? Perhaps paving the way for an upcoming paid app?

    Now I have to make sure not to click 'install all updates' when I'm updating other apps.
  5. #5  
    Same thing here. I noticed the app ICON was blank; deleted the app; tried to reload it; and it was missing from the app store. I did Google searches and couldn't find ANYTHING about it at all until I looked here. I suspect that the AP wants to make it a PAY app and pulled it before putting it back up with a fee.
  6. Viscott's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjunkmail View Post
    Same thing here. I noticed the app ICON was blank; deleted the app; tried to reload it; and it was missing from the app store. I did Google searches and couldn't find ANYTHING about it at all until I looked here. I suspect that the AP wants to make it a PAY app and pulled it before putting it back up with a fee.
    Me too! ***!!!!!
    HTC EVO 4G
    Treo 700w > Blackberry 8830 > Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G
  7. DrSuSE's Avatar
    Posts
    483 Posts
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    #7  
    That's just wrong... in my opinion. Putting out app killers that way, tricking people. I guess Palm must be ok with it though, since they put it through... *shrug* I never used the app, it just seems like a shady and jerky way to do things.
  8. Viscott's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #8  
    Maybe they found a bug, IE: The icon, pulled it and are fixing it.
    HTC EVO 4G
    Treo 700w > Blackberry 8830 > Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G
  9. #9  
    Yea, but it's still weird that there's no official word on this platform launching app...
  10. jaroslawk's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #10  
    I have also updated AP app and got blank icon for it, but instead of removing/reinstalling I have rebooted Pre. Now the app icon is back and it seems to work (misaligned texts on buttons now look OK).
    Thanks for the heads up on removal of the app from the catalog - now I know that I shold be extra careful with it...
  11. #11  
    AP Mobile is now BACK in the app store and still free.
  12. JerryG's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #12  
    The yearly budget of a global, not-for-profit, news organization, that employs over 3,000 people world-wide cannot be supported "for free".

    Associated Press - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    HTH,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    The yearly budget of a global, not-for-profit, news organization, that employs over 3,000 people world-wide cannot be supported "for free".



    HTH,
    -JerryG
    Despite your quote, the Palm Pre App is still free to download and use. Someone may be paying them. But NOT Palm Pre users.
  14. #14  
    paid news is a thing that is coming. I work for a large community based newspaper in canada. you will see paid news coming to your computer, smart phone soon.
  15. JerryG's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjunkmail View Post
    Despite your quote, the Palm Pre App is still free to download and use. Someone may be paying them. But NOT Palm Pre users.
    Oh, yes. I did not say they were, or should charge for the app. I have it on my Pre...

    I work in the news industry, and I am well aware of these, and many other news industry-related economic facts. I'm simply tired of seeing people say (and not just the OP) that AP, and other news organizations, should give away their products for free.

    Just because you don't have a tangible product, like a newspaper, in your hand, doesn't mean it doesn't cost something to produce. If Colgate-Palmolive never charged for their toothpaste, how long would they remain in business? Basically the same thing.

    Regards,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
  16. #16  
    New app in the app catalog today. AP ...check it out.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    The yearly budget of a global, not-for-profit, news organization, that employs over 3,000 people world-wide cannot be supported "for free".
    Pretty much every news organization that you can think of -- CNN, Yahoo News, Fox, The New York Times, The Wichita Eagle, and so on and so on -- are members of the Associated Press and pay large chunks of money for the ability to provide AP content to readers and viewers. A free Palm Pre app isn't going to put AP out of business.
  18. #18  
    There is already plenty of paid news in the Internet. On-line version of Edmonton Journal comes to mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    paid news is a thing that is coming. I work for a large community based newspaper in canada. you will see paid news coming to your computer, smart phone soon.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dingwall1 View Post
    new app in the app catalog today. Ap ...check it out.

    see above
  20. JerryG's Avatar
    Posts
    535 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by idletype View Post
    Pretty much every news organization that you can think of -- CNN, Yahoo News, Fox, The New York Times, The Wichita Eagle, and so on and so on -- are members of the Associated Press and pay large chunks of money for the ability to provide AP content to readers and viewers. A free Palm Pre app isn't going to put AP out of business.
    Yes, I know that, and DIDN'T say that. Please re-read what the OP said. He's making an invalid assumption because an app is temporarily unavailable. Come on, we ALL know that Palm is still having teething-pains with the App Catalog. It's not easy building yourself up to grab a big bite out of Apple.

    And anyway, if enough of these news organizations can eventually no longer afford to pay AP, and their own staff, poof, they're gone.

    Do YOU want to be totally dependent on citizen-journalism for your news? I don't think so...

    Anyway, I'll not clutter up this forum any further. If you'd like to discuss the news industry further, feel free to PM me, though I can't promise when, or if, I'll respond. YMMV.

    Thanks & Regards,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G

Posting Permissions