1.    #1  
    I am under contract until next summer (verizon) but I am very excited for the Pre. I am a teacher and cannot live without my Easy Gradebook Pro that I run on my Centro. Does anyone know if this app works with Classic or if anyone out there is designing a gradebook app?? Please Help!!
    Classic emulates a Centro. As long as Easy Gradebook is a well behaved stable app that does not need lots of special multi media or online services, it should run fine. It will also run about twice as fast as it does on your centro.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    stop the presses!

i own a centro and am seriously eyeing a Pre - probably buying next month.

i am going to buy Classic solely b/c i run Datebk6 on my Centro, and find it indispensable. i wasn't looking forward to Classic, in part b/c i have memories of emulators past, which often looked clunky and were slower than software running in its native op system.

in all the reading i have done about Classic, no one ever mentioned that the Palm OS apps would run faster! it makes sense, given the faster processor in the Pre...but i'd never thought that the speedier processor would overcome the drag inherent in running an emulator.

good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberry View Post
    stop the presses!

i own a centro and am seriously eyeing a Pre - probably buying next month.

i am going to buy Classic solely b/c i run Datebk6 on my Centro, and find it indispensable. i wasn't looking forward to Classic, in part b/c i have memories of emulators past, which often looked clunky and were slower than software running in its native op system.

in all the reading i have done about Classic, no one ever mentioned that the Palm OS apps would run faster! it makes sense, given the faster processor in the Pre...but i'd never thought that the speedier processor would overcome the drag inherent in running an emulator.

good to know.
    You might want to think twice if all you want to do is run Datebk6. Because Datebk6 is a calendar with alarms it is the kind of app that requires you to have Classic running all the time. While it's true that Classic can be set to launch itself automatically in order to run an app which needs to produce an alarm, it is also unstable enough that you will probably prefer to only launch it only when you need it. While this may change in the future (Classic has been improving by leaps and bounds, becoming faster and more stable) since its release in June), you are probably better off waiting for the Pre and Classic to mature before you jump ship.

Or maybe you can just try the Pre's built-in calendar and see if you like it. While it's nowhere near as powerful or feature rich as Classic, the Pre's built-in calendar does have the ability to sync with multiple online calendars which can be a pretty powerful feature for those who use it properly.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Most datebk6 users find the Pre calendar app to be ...well.. far from sufficient.

Then again, most datebk6 users go completely ADHD with their calendar on datebk6 so I don't find this suprising.

I am a registered datebk6 user, but I mainly used it for the agenda screen. Personally I think the Pre's calendar app needs some work, but is perfectly functional for most NORMAL people's calendar needs.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    i never thought of myself as "ADHD" with my calendar....but i think that's probably accurate.

i guess it's not an either/or situation, since Classic (now at version 2) has a 10 day trial. so if i hate running Classic all the time, i would stop using the trial version and just run datebk on my centro.

i'd be very surprised if i found the built-in Pre calendar sufficient. look, i've got templates in datebk to remind me when my washing machine finished running, and everybody's birthday, and reminders to fill out my timesheet at work every two weeks, and to call my mother, and saved views to automatically display all the vacations i've taken for the past ten years....yeah, ADHD is about right, i'm afraid.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    OCD might even be even more appropriate, come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    OCD might even be even more appropriate, come to think of it.

Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog