Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    same error they are update??
    It is frustrating that nobody has answers? On my pre some work some don't it is a crapshoot! The V keyboard is not installed. Please help
    Same problem here with Virtual Keyboard. Here is what the last red line of the log says:

""offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.add-onscreen-keyboard.prerm"

Any help would be appreicated!

Thanx!
    Alright, problem solved for me.

This is what I did. I uninstalled preware, soft reset and installed it back again. Soft reset. Like someone posted earlier, I started preware and reviewd my installed patches. I noticed virtualkeyboard was still there, even tho it never really fully installed. I removed it, soft reset one last time and installed it via Available Patches in Preware. It finished up by saying that it had to do some Luna Reset or something and adviced me to close all apps before continuing, since the phone was going to reset itself. Done deal after that...

Hope it helps!

Alex
    amedal, you are my hero for the week!

I'll add the detail that after re-instlling preware, I didn't initially see virtualkeyboard listed as installed. I was looking under Installed Packages->Patches. Turns out it was in Installed Packaged->Unknown.

I'm guessing this points to a bug in EPR that's leaving bits of packages not entirely removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by swankgd View Post
    amedal, you are my hero for the week!

I'll add the detail that after re-instlling preware, I didn't initially see virtualkeyboard listed as installed. I was looking under Installed Packages->Patches. Turns out it was in Installed Packaged->Unknown.

I'm guessing this points to a bug in EPR that's leaving bits of packages not entirely removed.

The keyboard was initially in the webos-internals feed as the first patch packaged up. After the current patching system with autopatch technology was finalized, the keyboard transitioned into the new patches feed. The old keyboard (v0.4.2 and lower) was removed from the webos-internals feed, and thus shows up as "unknown" if already installed since the metadata is no longer available in the feed.

EPR works only with patches that use autopatch technology, and the Virtual Keyboard versions 0.4.2 and before did not use autopatch technology.

Also everyone note for future reference, the "offline root" message is NOT an error (even though it appears in red). It is a standard message that gets outputted on every package installed using the package manager service (which preware does).

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    If EPR doesn't solve the problem try web os quick install, when you go to manage your device, it should show you the packages that you are having trouble removing, and you can remove them there.

at least - that worked for me.
    Thanks for the explanation emoney. Although I'm pretty sure I had done a remove and reinstall of the autopatch version of the keyboard before this happened. And it doesn't explain why other people are seeing the same behavior with different patches. It still seems like EPR isn't correctly uninstalling patches 100% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by swankgd View Post
    Thanks for the explanation emoney. Although I'm pretty sure I had done a remove and reinstall of the autopatch version of the keyboard before this happened. And it doesn't explain why other people are seeing the same behavior with different patches. It still seems like EPR isn't correctly uninstalling patches 100% of the time.
    What is the "same behavior with different patches"?

First the keyboard showing in "Unknown" (or anything showing under "unknown") in preware is due to the installed package not being found in a feed. This would have happened when the keyboard switched feeds a couple of weeks ago. Also there are other things that can cause this for instance the feed being down.

The only other way a package that uses autopatch technology can appear as installed with EPR being able to remove it, is if the postinst script did not run correctly, for instance if the user hits cancel when prompted and then restarts Preware. Although I believe this situation is fixed with the updated package manager service, so when the user selects cancel the package will be removed.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    I was having the same problem up until last night. Make sure your phone has webOS 1.2.1. That update fixed all my problems. Keyboard works great now, and so do all the other patches that I couldn't install before. Check for updates on your launcher. Hope this helps.
    i am having the same problem when uninstalling the patches.

can anyone help me pls
    Last night I installed WebOS and preware. All of the stuff that I have watched and read said that a virtual keyboard would be available in the patches section of preware, my problem... there isn't one. I have been able to do all of the other tweaks and changed my theme etc. Any ideas how/where I can get the keyboard if it's not in the patches section of preware?
    what ever happened to Virtual Keyboard File Recovery Procedure???
    Quote Originally Posted by shalaisawesome View Post
    Last night I installed WebOS and preware. All of the stuff that I have watched and read said that a virtual keyboard would be available in the patches section of preware, my problem... there isn't one. I have been able to do all of the other tweaks and changed my theme etc. Any ideas how/where I can get the keyboard if it's not in the patches section of preware?
    it's there...

Available Patches -> Mojo -> Virtual keyboard

-Eric G

Donate
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Hey, check to see if your webos is updated to 1.2.1
    I just picked up a replacement Pre and was getting the same error. I checked in device info and noticed that the replacement Pre still has 1.1.0 I'm removing the parches and theme that I was able to install and will update to 1.2.1 then try again, I pretty sure that is the issue for me.
    I too was getting the same error message when trying to install patches or the virtual keyboard using preware version 0.9.5 and palm pre version 1.2.1. What i did to resolve the problem was uninstalled everything on my phone. Then I used the web os doctor to restore by phone back to factory settings. Once that was complete i went and reinstalled everything I had from preware and i no longer have this issue using the updated software
    just downloaded 1.3.1 I can't dl any patches it just gives me IPKG log error last time this happened i did the reset and started from scratch hopping not to do that again i ran the emergency patch recovery before and after the update but now not able to DL anything!! looking for some answers??
    I had the same problem. Updated Preware and Pkg Mgr. Works fine now....Hope this helps!
    I had same problems. I updated the feeds and everything was better
    just downloaded 1.3.1 I can't dl any patches it just gives me IPKG log error any help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast