1.    #1  
    looks like we got some more crappy apps
    That outta motivate the developers <-- Not

Seriously, those apps may not suit your style but your style is probably far from the standard. Not to mention I bet you haven't tried any of said 'cr-apps' and they could actually be fun.
    Word play. I get it!!!!!!

Die.
    agreed pretty harsh, least can see some promise with a couple. and more important they are being released more and more frequently. now lets just prey the memory issue gets fixed or gets a good workaround.
  5.    #5  
    not saying the apps themselves are crappy and am sure the developers did a good job, and there are definately people who enjoy the games to pass time. But this phone desperately needs productivity apps and a broader range of apps like epsn scoreboard, slingplayer, and so forth. enough with the tip calculators, restraunt finders, flashlights,etc. we have enough of those.

Thank you.

"We all follow the Chelsea!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    not saying the apps themselves are crappy
    uhhh....

looks like we got some more crappy apps
    But this phone desperately needs productivity apps and a broader range of apps like epsn scoreboard, slingplayer, and so forth. enough with the tip calculators, restraunt finders, flashlights,etc. we have enough of those.
    Paid apps have only been available on the Pre for about a week now. Patience, me boy.

sorry for the double post!

"We all follow the Chelsea!!!"
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    The app limit issue is starting to get annoying. I can't even update an app I already have installed from the app catalog w/o it giving me the "uninstall app for more room" message.....***?
    I am sorry but I agree these are all terrible.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    There's been some really good apps released..

My favorites so far -

Wobble Words
    NewsRoom
    JogStats
    Word Whirl
    Sticher Podcast Radio
    Card Ace:Hold 'Em

-mark
    FriendsFlow
  11.    #11  
    everybody has different preferences, but overall I feel that these apps are very prehistoric and very limited in variety. It troubles me that after being so overwhelmed with app submissions that these are the best apps they came up with!
    everybody has different preferences, but overall I feel that these apps are very prehistoric and very limited in variety. It troubles me that after being so overwhelmed with app submissions that these are the best apps they came up with!
    No one said these are the "best" apps they came up with. The app catalog is still in BETA and there is a pipeline for these apps meaning first in and first out. I believe there are better apps on the way that took a lot more time to develop meaning they were submitted to the app catalog later on in the pipeline so theyre further down.

I dont plan on assessing the quality of apps till a couple months after the BETA tag on the catalog is taken off and then see what the quality is. I for one, think more quality will come when that BETA tag is gone.
    These apps suck ***. There's nothing in the store that I'd pay for. And it's the same caliber of app getting released every week. You compare the best apps getting released for web os to the best on the other major platforms and thes apps are bad.
    Oh, bravo!!! The OP has taken the word "app", which is homophonic with the last 2 letters of "crap", and added on the "cr" to form the word "cr-app", an implicit criticism of the applications! Or, should I say "cr-applications"? Folks, this is an exciting day. We rarely see this sort of skillful wordplay now. Remember this day.
    Tired of all these crappy apps coming out? Learn to program some HTML/Java/CSS or whatever new web languages to develop on WebOS and make your own awesome applications that do what you want.

Until then be thankful that we live in a time where our "phones" actually work without millions of miles of copper wires connecting them to our houses, and you can surf the internet and take pictures and do just about anything a full sized desktop or laptop computer can do, but it fits in your pocket??!

I've had my Palm Pre for about a week now, and I find something new about it every day so far, and continue to be impressed with it.

I can't wait until another 6 months or a year, that's when we will see some really awesome apps come out for it. Apple IPhone may have 70,000 apps or whatever, but I bet half of those apps would qualify as crappy, LOL. Maybe Palm will regulate the apps to have quality over quantity.

But yea just give it some time....just like any Game system, or Windows 7, it takes time for people to fully realize the potential. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. (At least it better be worth it since I'm stuck with a 2 year Sprint contract now, LOL!)
    Big-time developers have already expressed their issues with the WebOS platform, mostly relating to the ability of Palm to guaranty the security of their intellectual property.

Its also a case of churning through the easiest apps first. I doubt they're being processed in a first-submit, first-release way. The more complex apps are probably going through scrutiny on many levels while the cheap'n easy ones are being scanned by some intern and quickly made available. It will be a little bit of time before some of the grander apps are accepted, and Palm has some work yet to do also. Freeing up deeper and deeper access to the hardware will give devs the ability to do some really great things. Even before that, though, Palm needs to up the app partition size so that we can have more than 3 dozen apps installed at any given time.

I agree that until the 'beta' tab is removed, its unlikely that we'll see the really cool apps available. For now, my phone does for me what I need. It would be nice though if we could have video recording, document manipulation/creation (word, excel, powerpoint), and a few upgraded calendar apps that are faster and with greater functionality by the Pre's 1yr anniversary.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoug99 View Post
    Tired of all these crappy apps coming out? Learn to program some HTML/Java/CSS or whatever new web languages to develop on WebOS and make your own awesome applications that do what you want.

Until then be thankful that we live in a time where our "phones" actually work without millions of miles of copper wires connecting them to our houses, and you can surf the internet and take pictures and do just about anything a full sized desktop or laptop computer can do, but it fits in your pocket??!

I've had my Palm Pre for about a week now, and I find something new about it every day so far, and continue to be impressed with it.

I can't wait until another 6 months or a year, that's when we will see some really awesome apps come out for it. Apple IPhone may have 70,000 apps or whatever, but I bet half of those apps would qualify as crappy, LOL. Maybe Palm will regulate the apps to have quality over quantity.

But yea just give it some time....just like any Game system, or Windows 7, it takes time for people to fully realize the potential. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. (At least it better be worth it since I'm stuck with a 2 year Sprint contract now, LOL!)

Your optimism is noted, but first of all, why the need to mention Apple? I'd wager that, percentage-wise, they will have far better apps on their platform compared to webOS for the foreseeable future. With a couple exceptions, even the best of the current batch of webOS apps are mediocre. Even if you were right that half of the iPhone apps are poor, that's still better than the situation on the Pre right now. I'd wager over 95% of the available apps fall into the mediocre category.

When people were disappointed in the free apps and games, everyone said to wait for the paid apps. Then the paid apps arrive, and people are saying wait for the really good paid apps to come. What happens in another month when nothing has changed? Do we need to wait for the really-really good paid apps?

The thing some people don't realize is that what you see now, give or take, is exactly what can be done within the paradigm of online/offline web apps based on the Mojo SDK. It might get a little better than this, but it's not going to get a lot better, and the apps are never going to match the capability of those on platforms with a native SDK and advanced software technologies unless Palm makes some big changes. It's not a matter of just being optimistic and waiting.