Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, I love the Pre and I love Sprint, but I'm a bit disappointed with the first wave of paid apps. Most were already apps we could get through Homebrew.

Does that mean in the 4 months since the Pre's release that most of the stuff being developed for the Pre were done right here? What about developers outside of here?

Does that mean if there was no Homebrew at Precentral, there would be like 30 free Apps and 4 paid Apps to date? (Sarcasm)

And is it safe to assume the quality of the apps will always be the same as they offer as WebApps for the Iphone?

Hopefully not.
    The apps and the catalog are weaker then circus lemonade!
    Flash is coming. Documents to Go (full version) is in the works. Companies are working on webOS stuff.

Be patient...you'll soon be seeing a much wider range of applications for this brand new OS.
    There's only a crappy beta SDK out now. So the apps are right where they should be, unfortunately. If having apps that really utilize your device is important, jump elsewhere and revisit WebOS in June 2010.

I'm very seriously considering doing just that.
    Flash will be interesting, but also on every phone apart from iPhone in the near future. And it'll likely be a buggy battery killer on all of them for the first generation or so.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    The apps are consistent with what you can do with the SDK now and for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't expect any major leaps/bounds until early 2010 at least.

Regarding Flash, well it turns out Adobe released a native Flash to SDK capability on the iPhone already:

Adobe Opens iPhone to Flash Developers

Adobe: Flash Professional CS5 to support making iPhone apps

There are a few apps in the App Store that are totally Flash based. While this is interesting, they clearly look like Flash apps, and reviews have not been favorable. This article sums it up pretty well:

Adobe opens iPhone to Flash, tsunami of crapplets to ensue

So I guess my point is, don't pin your hopes on Flash if you want the best of iPhone-class games. The reason many iPhone games are so good is that they're written in C/C++/Obj-C and OpenGL/OpenAL, with some very powerful native device support. Even with Flash, you can't do a lot of that stuff.
    As a developer, I think there are many things that can be improved to most programs out there within the current SDK. I know I'm not the only one that felt rushed to get mine out there when Palm contacted me with interest. We will see some decent improvements within the current SDK and more improvements as the SDK improves. That isn't to say there aren't big limitations to the SDK currently, but almost no one is pushing it fully to its limits yet.

A good analogy to this is console games. A few game releases "get it right" with a console launch. However, with a little time, developers learn to get the most out of the system. The console hasn't changed much at all in a year, but the games are vastly better. This is developers getting comfortable with the system and pushing it. It takes some time.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    As a developer, I think there are many things that can be improved to most programs out there within the current SDK. I know I'm not the only one that felt rushed to get mine out there when Palm contacted me with interest. We will see some decent improvements within the current SDK and more improvements as the SDK improves. That isn't to say there aren't big limitations to the SDK currently, but almost no one is pushing it fully to its limits yet.

I am curious -- what's you're comfort level with the lack of robust source code protection in webOS apps? Because that is one big factor that is keeping our projects off the platform right now. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss it here.

Thanks.
    I don't expect miracles to happen considering the the Pre was just released in June but I will admit this (but not to my iPhone friends) that the apps right now are below average considering what iPhone and Android apps have set in regards to a benchmark. Just seems like Palm is really playing the numbers game here and releasing as many apps as possible. Where's the "quality" over "quantity" strategy they talked about?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There's only a crappy beta SDK out now. So the apps are right where they should be, unfortunately. If having apps that really utilize your device is important, jump elsewhere and revisit WebOS in June 2010.

I'm very seriously considering doing just that.
    Ya I'm thinking I may jump to the HTC Hero on Sunday and come back to webos whenever PRE 2 comes out.
    I don't like that the source is wide open. I chose not to obfuscate, because I have yet to find a good solution that didn't break my app.

It is what it is right now. If someone blatantly steals my code, I will go after them with a legal remedy, much more so if the App directly competes. However, if a developer can get a better understanding of how WebOS works by reading through my code, and not stealing, then I see benefit to that.

It is a weird situation. The web exploded, because people learned HTML with "view source". I think it will also be a factor in WebOS growth.

This isn't to say I will never obfuscate. But I have emailed more than one of my source files to other developers to explain a procedure or methodology when they asked for help. I asked that they not use it directly, but feel free to use it as a guide.

This issue is also completely dependent on any proprietary data or algorithms that you need to protect. The openness of the platform is both a blessing and a curse.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/08/2009 at 12:16 PM.
    it's sad to think that the only people who have taken interest in building app's for this phone so far are people who own the phone! you would think that the company's that offer quality app's would have been quick to port their app's over. bad sign for palm if the flood of apps they spoke of are all homebrew app's
    I really need to post a gameplay video of Wobble Words. It took some doing, but the app competes pretty well with comparable iPhone offerings. Feedback so far has been excellent (thanks!).

I have an arcade title in the works which is turning out nicely as well. The huge crippling limitation in the SDK for game developers is sound support. It's just not fast and high enough quality for most games. Hopefully Palm is taking this seriously and is working on it.

Meantime, dig a little deeper into the catalog. There are some good apps in there, and it's only going to get better!
    Dave Balmer, Gobico Games

Thanks for your support! Check out Wobble Words 2 and Poker Drops available now in the App Catalog for Palm Pre and Pixi, and follow us on Twitter @GobicoGames to get the latest news.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    it's sad to think that the only people who have taken interest in building app's for this phone so far are people who own the phone! you would think that the company's that offer quality app's would have been quick to port their app's over. bad sign for palm if the flood of apps they spoke of are all homebrew app's
    You said it better than me.. IT's like we waited 4 months to PAY for Apps we already got here.
    Why, after 4 months, is there not a major infusion of ported apps and new apps by major developers?

I'm just a little confused.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbalmer View Post
    I have an arcade title in the works which is turning out nicely as well. The huge crippling limitation in the SDK for game developers is sound support. It's just not fast and high enough quality for most games. Hopefully Palm is taking this seriously and is working on it.
    I know what you mean! I use OpenAL in my iPhone games, and the capabilities to pan, position, and scale pitch/etc are really great. The first time I experimented with sounds in the webOS SDK, I was really disappointed in the lack of options and the poor performance. This is definitely an area that needs improvement for sure.
    Last edited by s219; 10/08/2009 at 02:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I don't like that the source is wide open. I chose not to obfuscate, because I have yet to find a good solution that didn't break my app.

It is what it is right now. If someone blatantly steals my code, I will go after them with a legal remedy, much more so if the App directly competes. However, if a developer can get a better understanding of how WebOS works by reading through my code, and not stealing, then I see benefit to that.

It is a weird situation. The web exploded, because people learned HTML with "view source". I think it will also be a factor in WebOS growth.

This isn't to say I will never obfuscate. But I have emailed more than one of my source files to other developers to explain a procedure or methodology when they asked for help. I asked that they not use it directly, but feel free to use it as a guide.

This issue is also completely dependent on any proprietary data or algorithms that you need to protect. The openness of the platform is both a blessing and a curse.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Right now this is a *big* concern for me. I really need to protect my source code from competitors. One of my clients has a project that licenses some code, and he it too scared to take a risk. I am afraid Palm is putting so much effort into the open approach (which is good for that part of the market) that they are neglecting concerns of commercial developers.

BTW, I wouldn't count on obfuscation to protect the code anyhow. The nature of javascript means that somewhere, somehow, your code will be visible at run time. This was made painfully obvious to me when viewing some obfucated code in Firebug recently. It was only slightly harder to get at than using no obfuscation at all. Not good.
    Quote Originally Posted by acipollo View Post
    You said it better than me.. IT's like we waited 4 months to PAY for Apps we already got here.
    Why, after 4 months, is there not a major infusion of ported apps and new apps by major developers?

I'm just a little confused.
    I guess you could look at it like this:

You could have never seen them till Monday, but because of homebrew, you were able to use them for months.

I think there are other paid apps that no one has seen yet.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  18.    #18  
    I guess you could look at it like this:

You could have never seen them till Monday, but because of homebrew, you were able to use them for months.

I think there are other paid apps that no one has seen yet.
    I love YOUR app. I play it all the time.

But I basically played that Football game on my friends Iphone and it was feeling like a mini PSP game.
    Is that even possible with webOS?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    But I basically played that Football game on my friends Iphone and it was feeling like a mini PSP game.
    Not even close. I have been complaining about that since the SDK came out in July. I think everyone thought I was nuts or something.
    I love YOUR app. I play it all the time.

It's not possible with MOJO and the SDK but it sure is possible with the Palm Pre. The hardware can do it. If Palm will one day allow native apps on the Pre we can enjoy games that are exactly as good as any iPhone game.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast