Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First let me say that I am not a developer, just a first time PDA user who happened to choose the Palm Pre for its potential. I find it a little discouraging that Palm's approach is limiting the development of serious apps for the Pre. Gaming is not the reason I decided to go with the Pre as my 1st ever PDA. Their catalogue seems to be weighted toward entertainment rather than productivity. Once Palm gets their act together I would hope to see more apps that would make it easier for me to communicate, organize, research and bring together the kind of information I require, on a single device that is configured to my personal tastes and available in my car, at work or at home. Done right, the Pre could allow me to forego my home and laptop computers all together. For that, I would be willing to spend a reasonable amount of money for the right apps. Once that is accomplished I might opt for a little entertainment to pass the time, but right now that seems like the distant future.
    Last edited by sonjohn1; 10/11/2009 at 08:51 PM.
    TheMarco,

What's happended to your RPN Calculator. Seems to me, that given the time since you submitted it, it should have been released in the App Catalog by now. Palm would do themselves a favour if they got around to approving programs like that with a bit of substance to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonjohn1 View Post
    First let me say that I am not a developer, just a first time PDA user who happened to choose the Palm Pre for its potential. I find it a little discouraging that Palm's approach is limiting the development of serious apps for the Pre. Gaming is not the reason I decided to go with the Pre as my 1st ever PDA. Their catalogue seems to be weighted toward entertainment rather than productivity. Once Palm gets their act together I would hope to see more apps that would make it easier for me to communicate, organize, research and bring together the kind of information I require, on a single device that is configured to my personal tastes and available in my car, at work or at home. Done right, the Pre could allow me to forgo my home and laptop computers all together. For that, I would be willing to spend a reasonable amount of money for the right apps. Once that is accomplished I might opt for a little entertainment to pass the time, but right now that seems like the distant future.
    I concur... I'd like to suggest that all the App developers (even the corporates) who are considering going "Official" in the app catalog post their first version free and/or extremely cheap if at all possible, or provide a "lite" version... Especially those valuable, utilitarian apps without the same "cool factor" as a social-media-network-game-streaming-twittering-graphic app might have

1) This gets more of us interested in the tech and capabilities. I like to get the most out of my tech without having to root around in it (been there, enjoyed it, don't have time now) and the Homebrew gives me a lot of opportunities... but not everyone (e.g. eventual paying users) has the audacity/skill/smarts to load up some homebrew.

2) Free/cheap apps, especially in the utility and productivity categories (checkbooks, reminders, uber-listers, file managers, etc) give us the chance to find that nugget of gold that is going to make the mundane personal-upkeep aspects of our lives much less so, or at least more bearable.

3) Get the masses addicted to your app & giving you feedback, and you can charge for upgrades and version changes. Good chance they'll go for it, and get others to go for it too.

The best example I have is the Homebrew free "Checkbook" app. This app isn't 100% yet, but to me it's HUGE, especially now that I have handheld web access to all my accounts. It gives me the possibility of seeing an integrated financial picture that I control. I would have paid $0.99 for this just to try it out... If/When it appears in the App catalog it should be free/cheap or have a free "lite" version. I want the author to get compensated, but I want it to be a lot! if the price is too high, not enough people will buy and try, limiting word of mouth and exposing the app to a higher possibility of low feedback.

Just look at the paid apps in the catalog... some "lite" versions and free versions of paid apps get higher ratings... Certainly not a trend, but people are a lot more forgiving in their critique and rating if your app is cheap or free... If I dropped $7.50 on a checkbook app that didn't have the capability to automatically provide a check number in the record I'd be giving out 3 stars instead of 4 or even 5.

It's a win/win: I get great apps I'm happy to pay-to-update for (sooner), which grows the platform popularity, giving a larger paying audience to the developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    it's sad to think that the only people who have taken interest in building app's for this phone so far are people who own the phone! you would think that the company's that offer quality app's would have been quick to port their app's over. bad sign for palm if the flood of apps they spoke of are all homebrew app's
    Dude, I think you are waaaaaay outta this reality with that? Are you Trolling?! Idk, but the majority of the apps are NOT homebrews. You go count and give me feedback. There are some companies that have given Palm apps, whether Free or Paid. I think some others are waiting for the Paid catalog to open to get revenue. Soon, you may see more and more big-name apps.

But as someone said, you can compare this growth with video games... It may be awhile before everyone can use the available tools to their max, and there will be more advancement with the the SDK before we know it.

Brand New mobile OS...there is a learing curve. I'm behind Palm and this new platform for the 'forseeable' longhaul. I think they will optimize and advance everything about this OS and I like where its heading...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12