1.    #1  
    Is it possible to create a shortcut icon within the Web OS launcher that will directly launch a specific Classic application?
    This kind of functionality is not possible. Classic is the emulator for webOS, so it is the app itself, and what’s within it cannot be “taken out” into webOS.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    This kind of functionality is not possible. Classic is the emulator for webOS, so it is the app itself, and what’s within it cannot be “taken out” into webOS.
    I think you've misunderstood my question. I'm not suggesting that Classic apps be directly executable within the Web OS environment. I'm suggesting that it should be possible to create a Web OS icon tied to a macro that would first launch Classic, then run a specific Classic application.

A simple shortcut icon, nothing more, but one that would allow end-users to (seemingly) launch emulated apps directly from the Web OS environment. No, they wouldn't really be launching emulated apps directly from Web OS, but it would look that way to them.

Within my organization, being able to directly launch a specific Classic app from the WebOS environment would provide a tremendous added value. Our users wouldn't have to navigate the Classic environment to run their app, they could simply click one icon.

I'm sure there are a great number of enterprises that only continue to buy Palm OS devices because of one or two legacy apps. A direct launch functionality could really help to push these business towards both the Pre and Classic. It would solve the support issues of making users first launch Classic, then find their app, then launch that.

(That said, there are any number of emulated environments that do provide for stand-alone enclosures around specific apps. For instance, Wine containers. That functionality would be amazing, but it would probably be a lot of work for you, so it's not what I'm suggesting.)