1.    #1  

Wobble Words
    Gobico Games
    App Catalog - $4.99

Wobble Words is a fast word search game. Find as may high scoring words as you can before the timer runs out. So says the official "About" screen in the app.

Wobble Words is a hybrid cross between Boggle and Scrabble. You get a 4x4 letter game screen where you drag your finger to form words. Default settings remove the word you've created and new letters drop in their place. You can change these settings but more on that later. The goal of all game types is to get the highest score possible while racing the clock.

With the default settings on, you have 3 minutes to find, make and score for as many words as you can. Each letter has a point value and you can toggle between displaying these points on each letter or hiding them. Once a letter is used they will disappear and new letters along with the rest of the letters will drop down, similar to Bejewled. You can also toggle this setting, making it so all the letters will stay and you have to make due with what your dealt in the beginning of the level. You also have the option to change the orientation of the board in case you need a new perspective.

Blank tiles are your key for earning big points. When you use a blank in a word, the blank acts as any and every letter that could possibly fit, and you will get points for each word possible. So if you use H-(blank)-T you'll get points for the words hot, hat, hit, etc. I was able to rack up a thousand points for one word using two blank tiles. Savor these when you come across them.

In each game type you have the option to use a "shake" where the game board will be swiped of all letters and brand new ones will drop down. To perform this shake move.. you guessed it.. just give your device a gentle shake. If the game doesn't respond you can tap the yin-yang symbol in the upper left corner. This move costs you 100 points and you won't get to use another shake until you score a 5 letter word. Of course, you can toggle this option as well to enable/disable "shakes".

Besides game options, you can also toggle music, sound effects, vibration and the aforementioned letter vaules.

The game features some pretty snazzy techno-ish music to accompany you while you play. Sound effects are mostly responsive but don't feel quite in sync with what's happening on the screen. Kudos to the developers for actually incorporating sound effects and music when other apps aren't quite there yet. The animation of the blocks falling and the visual style overall are both excellent. The menus as well really shine here and aren't copies of the same old webOS app menu system. Wobble Words stands apart from the crowd. To top off the polished visual style, the game includes three Themes that you can choose for your liking. Plastic Dice, Wooden Tiles, or Matrix. All three are incredibly designed and give the game a nice sense of uniqueness.

A nice addition to the usual Top Scores which should come standard on any game nowadays is a Trophy/Achievement system. Unfortunately there is no way to view the trophies that you've earned but during gameplay you will have a sort of "window" slide up over the gameplay scene to reveal the trophy you've earned. Hopefully in later updates we'll be able to track these.

Pros: Excellent visual style, addicting gameplay, customizable gameplay options and preferences, fun trophy system, incorporates music/sfx

Cons: sfx don't quite sound in tune with motions on screen, timer is hard to read in the last few precious seconds (would like option for numerical timer), can't view earned trophies

edit: According to the developer's twitter http://twitter.com/GobicoGames, optional digital timer and trophy tracking is coming in future updates. Glad to see they are listening to feedback and delivering.

Overall:With only very minor gripes, I gave Wobble Words 5 out of 5 stars in the App Catalog. To me the visual style is beyond anything I've seen so far and the gameplay will keep me coming back for a while instead of letting it sit in my launcher un-used. I think $4.99 is a fair price for what you get, even if it is a bit pricier than what it's counterparts on other phone's App Stores might go for.
    Last edited by willxcore; 10/06/2009 at 11:26 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Fixed image size issues. Enjoy the review!

Added a paragraph on the importance of blank tiles. How could I have forgotten?!
    Last edited by willxcore; 10/06/2009 at 11:28 PM.
    I just bought the game yesterday and have probably put an hour and a half into it already...yikes! I did get the "fart" achievement though.

All this time I didn't realize the game had music since I have the sound turned off on my Pre. Oops.

Great game if you enjoy word games. The only major request I have is for a numeric timer in the upper right corner, as it's too hard to estimate how much time is left with the graphical stopwatch. I assume future updates will fix the occasional slowdown and lag, but it's not a big enough deal to worry about from what I've played so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post
    I just bought the game yesterday and have probably put an hour and a half into it already...yikes! I did get the "fart" achievement though.

All this time I didn't realize the game had music since I have the sound turned off on my Pre. Oops.

Great game if you enjoy word games. The only major request I have is for a numeric timer in the upper right corner, as it's too hard to estimate how much time is left with the graphical stopwatch. I assume future updates will fix the occasional slowdown and lag, but it's not a big enough deal to worry about from what I've played so far.
    There are 24 trophies (so, there's more than spelling FART, although it always makes me smile when someone gets that). The trophies earned are stored, so when the trophy case comes out (in the next release), you'll be able to show them off, and see some of the others you can get.

Also, an option to use a digital timer has been requested and heard, and will be in the next release, too.
    Dave Balmer, Gobico Games

Thanks for your support! Check out Wobble Words 2 and Poker Drops available now in the App Catalog for Palm Pre and Pixi, and follow us on Twitter @GobicoGames to get the latest news.
    i bought this game last night, and i love it. i'd only add one thing, and that's to continue rounds similar to Text Twist (either by reaching a score threshold, or by finding a 6 letter word)
  6.    #6  
    I have been taking screen shots of the trophies I've earned so far. Funny stuff so far. Developer definitely has a sense of humor.