1.    #1  
    I've loved all the apps that Hobbyist Software created for my Treo. I hope they will create some apps like butler, power hero and Phone Technician for the pre.
    Right now he has two WebOS apps: Remote and VLC Remote on your PRe

I am sure he's cooking up something to further enhance your Pre experience.
    Guys,

I gotta tell ya...

I've been a fan of the PalmOS software Rob (Hobbist Software) writes for YEARS. I've chatted with him a few times via email; very nice, responsive, respectful dude.

If he's writing stuff for webOS, it's gonna be some cool stuff!

I can't wait!

HUGE fan of his work!
    thanks for the kind words folks.

at the moment, the Pre sdk doesn't let me sit in the background and 'snoop' events in the way that the treo did, so no immediate prospects of butler/power hero equivalents.

However I am hoping that they will be possible later and I'll be keen to do them when I can.

In the meantime, I have some slightly more traditional apps (VLC Remote and Remote for iTunes) that I hope you'll enjoy)
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon View Post

at the moment, the Pre sdk doesn't let me sit in the background and 'snoop' events in the way that the treo did, so no immediate prospects of butler/power hero equivalents.

However I am hoping that they will be possible later and I'll be keen to do them when I can.

In the meantime, I have some slightly more traditional apps (VLC Remote and Remote for iTunes) that I hope you'll enjoy)
    Welcome to the forums! It's good to see you here.

MotionApps team
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Any chance of a notification helper app?

One thing I'd really love is to have the feature of Butler where it keeps vibrating when you haven't acknowledged an event. It's all too easy for me to miss SMS messages, especially when they come in while I'm asleep!!
    I'd love to do this kind of app. At the moment I don't think it is possible within the sdk - but that may change...
    Hobbyist Software
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Rob, for what its worth, being linux almost anything is possible, it just involves being more of a homebrew kind of thing. Maybe someone in homebrew could create a generic widget architecture that would allow developers of normal store apps access to more low-level capabilities. (Of course, Palm doing so would be better, but homebrew seems to have faster turnaround time for such things.)
    you are right that I could do a lot in the homebrew world and I may wind up in that side of the camp at some point.

For now though, I'm keen to focus on what is possible in the official side of things so that I can sell things through the App Catalog (yes - I do want to make a living doing this!)

I'm hoping too that by supporting the official channels and engaging in dialog, users and developers can push Palm to expand what is possible. I have had a very positive experience dealing with Palm, and I think they are genuinly keen to allow as much as they can...
    Hobbyist Software
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I agree that you're aiming in the right direction. I hope Palm expands the capabilities quickly - sooner is better - I'd love to see this platform really flourish!
    one comment - do write to Palm, or post at the developer forums.

They are definitely thinking about what to offer in terms of sdk access, and I'm really confident that they will be listening to users.

I'd suggest that someone starts a thread there about wanting a nagging app. Something like 'we want Butler for Web OS' would do the trick

Fwiw - when it is possible, I'll definitely write the app!
    Hobbyist Software
    you are right that I could do a lot in the homebrew world and I may wind up in that side of the camp at some point.

For now though, I'm keen to focus on what is possible in the official side of things so that I can sell things through the App Catalog (yes - I do want to make a living doing this!)
    As I understand it, Palm left 'the door open', which enabled Homebrewing. So it's not frowned upon by Palm.

Other developers have used Homebrew as a way to get apps up and running, then polish them off and add the final few missing bits when it transfer to the 'Paid For' section of Palm Catalog.

Hopefully when are are all on 1.3.1, thing will move on ...
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway

They are definitely thinking about what to offer in terms of sdk access, and I'm really confident that they will be listening to users.

I'd suggest that someone starts a thread there about wanting a nagging app. Something like 'we want Butler for Web OS' would do the trick

Already did that months ago. I could've switched our 75+ physician group to the Pre already but for the lack of a nag alert feature/app. I'm here today as part of my regular monitoring. I've seen the root-required tweak for this, but really need an official OS feature update or 3rd party app.
    USR Pilot 5000->3Com PalmPilot Pro->Palm IIIx->Palm 515->Palm TT3->Treo 700p->HTC Touch Pro->Palm Pre->HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Right now he has two WebOS apps: Remote and VLC Remote on your PRe

I am sure he's cooking up something to further enhance your Pre experience.
    What about Converty? I bought it since Hobbyist is listed as the developer.
    Brian
    Will it be worth sticking to HP Web OS? I hope so but need to see the right hardware and software.
    FYI, there already are patches to repeat SMS and email alerts...I use them and they work great. Im sure its only a matter of time before many of these patches that are so useful become options in the stock OS
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    FYI, there already are patches to repeat SMS and email alerts...I use them and they work great. Im sure its only a matter of time before many of these patches that are so useful become options in the stock OS
    Yes, there are patches to repeat these alerts. However, Butler was so much more!!! I miss being able to set various alarms for almost any time. I used that several times daily. I miss having the option to set different ringtones and mp3s with such ease. Butler took the best and put it "under one roof", and I used it ALL OF THE TIME. I REEEAAAALLLLYY miss you, Butler!
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...

And, just where should one start such a post, if one were interested? Here, in this forum or on the Pre forum?...if one were interested, of course.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    one comment - do write to Palm, or post at the developer forums.... Fwiw - when it is possible, I'll definitely write the app!
    Duh! Thanks.

...Posting at the dev. forum didn't seem like a good idea. Under that forum name, one simply sees/finds folders, no posts. If you have another suggested location, let me know.
    Last edited by justjill3; 01/03/2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Update
    justjill3

Rob, great to see you're developing apps for WebOS! It's nice to see another Palm development stalwart on the new platform. Butler rocks!