Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I cannot hotsync over Wifi even after upgrading to classic 2.0! I have set up my Pre exactly as the video demo showed, I have the corrrect IP address for the computer, I have selected network for hotsync on the desktop. What am I doing wrong? Is there a crucial step I have missed? I have both my Pre and my computer on the same secure network, I am able to stream music from my desktop to my Pre, so I know the network settings are correct. My desktop is connected to the network through the wired LAN from the router, does that make a difference? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I still cannot get the hotsync to work either. Spent hours combing the boards trying what others have suggested. I CAN get the Pre to connect to the wifi. I CAN get my laptop to connect. I CAN get my net book to connect. I CAN get my Ipod Touch to connect. I CAN get my DS to connect. But I CANNOT get the Classic to connect. I tried disabling my firewall. Didn't help. One time before the update I did get a connection to my net book after doing a soft reset of the Pre, but Classic froze and the sync did not complete and have not been able to connect Classic to anything again. I have a ticket in with MotionApps, but they have not been able to help thus far. I have spent too much time on this and have just about resolved to not being able to sync with Classic. Disappointing.
    Please check a detailed tutorial we just released on our website, it includes all the steps that should enable you perform HotSync action successfully
    HotSync in Classic
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
  4.    #4  
    Followed the steps on the website you posted, but was still unable to HotSync over WiFi. Pulled my bluetooth from my laptop and I was able to Sync via bluetooth, but I would rather do this over my network rather than having to pull out my laptop's bluetooth USB adapter every time I want to sync. I updated my palm desktop to the latest version, I disabled my firewall, and am still not able to sync over WiFi. Does the computer have to be connected via Wifi? It is on the same network but is connected through the router through a LAN cable. Anyone else having this issue?? I am using a D-Link DI-624 router
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I also followed the detailed tutorial on the website and still I am not able to sync. I do not have bluetooth at this time to try that. As I mentioned above, I did try wifi on both my desktop that is wired to the router and to the laptop not wired that are on the same network and could not get it to sync. My router is a Linksys. Went to the router setup page and made sure it is setup for wifi, which it is. Have not seen any solutions. Put in for support at Classic and they said what they mentioned above, "follow the tutorial."
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Found how to get a connection via wifi. Usually one has a password on their network or wep key. I had to take mine off. Will check if it will connect once I put it back in, but I was able to sync.

EDIT: It froze during the sync during the cleanup, but it made it through the hotsync.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    YES!!!! I had this happen to a laptop before. Some weird Windows XP thing. Once I connected without the password the device can then "find" the network. Then put the password back in and it "remembers" how it linked. Dunno - but it works!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtina View Post
    Found how to get a connection via wifi. Usually one has a password on their network or wep key. I had to take mine off. Will check if it will connect once I put it back in, but I was able to sync.

EDIT: It froze during the sync during the cleanup, but it made it through the hotsync.
    Thanks I will try this when I get home tonight!
    I had high hopes for Bluetooth hotsync functionality with Classic v 2.0.

BUT...I also cannot get my Pre's Classic v 2.0 program to hotsync with my laptop using either Bluetooth or Wifi. I have WebOS 1.2.1, a brand new Pre, Linksys router with WPA. For Bluetooth, I paired the Pre with my laptop and closely followed the rest of the directions in the video. Ditto for the wifi attempt--including the directions on Motionapps website. Please help. If I can't get this to work I won't be buying Classic.
    I also followed the detailed tutorial on the website and still I am not able to sync. I do not have bluetooth at this time to try that. As I mentioned above, I did try wifi on both my desktop that is wired to the router and to the laptop not wired that are on the same network and could not get it to sync. My router is a Linksys. Went to the router setup page and made sure it is setup for wifi, which it is. Have not seen any solutions. Put in for support at Classic and they said what they mentioned above, "follow the tutorial."
    I followed the tutorial as well and cannot sync through either wifi or Bluetooth and I have tried this on two different computers. I even tried to configure my Linksys router to use its port forwarding feature to forward Hotsync traffic to 14237 and 14238 to one computer and Classic's Hotsync app still couldn't establish a connection even after I disabled my firewall.
  11.    #11  
    Tried all last night and this didn't work for me. Still can connect through BT, but not through WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcole01272 View Post
    Tried all last night and this didn't work for me. Still can connect through BT, but not through WiFi.
    How were you able to get BT to work? Thanks.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzeph View Post
    How were you able to get BT to work? Thanks.
    I had to set up the BT on the computer, and actually for some reason I had to connect some BT headphones to the computer first before it would even see the Pre. Then I pretty much followed the instructions they posted on the MotionApps website, except they left out the fact that you need to go to network connections after you have established the BT connection between your computer and the Pre. You should now see an additional network connection (if you are using XP or Vista) for Bluetooth. If you double click on the BT connection in the network connections folder, it will bring up a window where it should have the Pre listed. If you highlight the Pre and click "connect", you should see on your Pre under the BT settings your computer name with a globe by it indicating it is connected. After that you go to Classic and set the PC to the exact name it is listed as in your BT settings on your Pre. From what I can tell it is case-sensitive, so make sure you enter it in exactly. After that it should work.
    In the video, what is this "join personal network" step after you setup the bluetooth? She clicks the mouse on an icon at the bottom right hand corner of the screen and pulls up a "personal network" window. Does this mean you have to set up the Pre to connect with WiFi first? I got WiFi hotsync to work once but now I can't seem to duplicate it. WiFi connection lost somehow.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    When I went to hotsync today I had to go back into my router setup page again. I have a Lynksys router and besides turning off the password there is a section under wireless setup that offers manual or wifi protected setup. I have to set it to manual in order for Classic to sync and it seems to want to go back to protected setup after I close it out. I don't know if you have that with your router, but might want to check. Mine shows broadcast of SSID and I have it at mixed B and G modes. Hope that helps!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzeph View Post
    In the video, what is this "join personal network" step after you setup the bluetooth? She clicks the mouse on an icon at the bottom right hand corner of the screen and pulls up a "personal network" window. Does this mean you have to set up the Pre to connect with WiFi first? I got WiFi hotsync to work once but now I can't seem to duplicate it. WiFi connection lost somehow.
    I believe that is the step where you connect to the Pre through the network connection. It wasn't clear on the video, but I just went to Start/Settings/Network Connections. You can see the Bluetooth conncetion there; if you double click on it it will bring up a window listing the Bluetooth devices, you can click on the Pre and then click connect in the bottom right.
  17.    #17  
    When I went to hotsync today I had to go back into my router setup page again. I have a Lynksys router and besides turning off the password there is a section under wireless setup that offers manual or wifi protected setup. I have to set it to manual in order for Classic to sync and it seems to want to go back to protected setup after I close it out. I don't know if you have that with your router, but might want to check. Mine shows broadcast of SSID and I have it at mixed B and G modes. Hope that helps!
    Thanks, I will try that when I get home!
  18. dpb
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I cannot get wifi hotsync to work. I have no idea what to try next!!
    • I have wifi turned on
    • I can browse the web
    • I can ping the ip address of my phone from my PC
    • I have gotten BT hotsync to work, which appears to me to use a personal network to do the hotsync over TCP/IP over the BT connection, so I think the PC is set up correctly.
    • I have tried to disable WEP/WPA on my router, no luck.
    • I have turned off the windows firewall, no luck.

What else could be wrong? Are there programs from the classic environment that I could try that would prove that my network connection is working? Web browser that works? ssh program?

Anyone else that has not had it working get it working?

I would appreciate any help I can get at this point.
  19. dpb
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    So, the solution to my problem was a bit complex. In the end, I restored my pre using the webos doctor. I don't really have a lot of things to backup, most of it was done for me with palms backup, so for me this wasn't a big deal.

Basically, I think my problems were happening from the installation of mytether. I would be interested in hearing others experiences that cannot get wifi hotsync to work. Do you have mytether installed? Was it the free or non-free version? Note that this is just my suspicion at this point. I don't feel up to testing it right now, but I might if i have time.

I know a bit about linux, so I could even poke around the network settings if I feel up to it.

I was finally able to narrow down on a potential problem by using the pssh program that can be installed with the free classic apps package.

Step #1, I logged into the root account on my pre and found that I could not ping any local addresses (my router is set up to be 192.168.0.*), but could ping external IP addresses and my router just fine.

Step #2, Through pssh I found that I could not ssh to any machines on my local network (and got a really strange hex # as an error code, rather than a nice ssh error like "unkown host", etc). Though, if I set up a machine to be available outside my home firewall, I could ssh to it from pssh over wifi.

Step #3, I was reading this thread again and saw one user said that mytether was installed, and could that be a problem. This triggered it for me. Since mytether has this option for wifi hotspot mode, I'm sure that it messes with the route tables as well as other network settings. I was thinking that it could easily mess that up so that local traffic was not routed correctly. It is a semi-against-the-rules type of app after all.

Anyway, long story short, I would like to hear back if people who are unable to get wifi sync to work have mytether installed. If anyone more knowledgable than me knows what could be "adjusted" other than restoring the pre, that would be my ultimate end goal.

HOORAY! I finally got my Pre to Hotsync via Bluetooth tonight after much toiling. I had it paired initially but couldn't get it to connect to my laptop. I then started over by removing the Pre from the Bluetooth wireless device list and adding it again (took several tries). Then I finally saw the previously elusive "Personal Area Network: Bluetooth Network Connection" (in Start Menu>Control Panel>Network CONNECTIONS). Click on "Bluetooth Network Connection" and a new window will appear which should show your Pre as a Bluetooth Personal Area Network Device. Click Connect and you should now be able to Hotsync via Bluetooth! Good luck!

However, at the same time I've discovered that my Pre and laptop seem to compete for WiFi. When one is on, the other struggles to connect. When one is off, the other has no problem connecting. Any solutions to this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast