Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Figured out the WiFi problem. I needed to adjust the number of clients allowed by my router in the advanced settings of my router. Now I've got both Bluetooth and WiFi working nicely for my Pre! Now very happy with Classic ver 2.0!
    Quote Originally Posted by dpb View Post
    So, the solution to my problem was a bit complex. In the end, I restored my pre using the webos doctor. I don't really have a lot of things to backup, most of it was done for me with palms backup, so for me this wasn't a big deal.

Basically, I think my problems were happening from the installation of mytether. I would be interested in hearing others experiences that cannot get wifi hotsync to work. Do you have mytether installed? Was it the free or non-free version? Note that this is just my suspicion at this point. I don't feel up to testing it right now, but I might if i have time.

I know a bit about linux, so I could even poke around the network settings if I feel up to it.

I was finally able to narrow down on a potential problem by using the pssh program that can be installed with the free classic apps package.

Step #1, I logged into the root account on my pre and found that I could not ping any local addresses (my router is set up to be 192.168.0.*), but could ping external IP addresses and my router just fine.

Step #2, Through pssh I found that I could not ssh to any machines on my local network (and got a really strange hex # as an error code, rather than a nice ssh error like "unkown host", etc). Though, if I set up a machine to be available outside my home firewall, I could ssh to it from pssh over wifi.

Step #3, I was reading this thread again and saw one user said that mytether was installed, and could that be a problem. This triggered it for me. Since mytether has this option for wifi hotspot mode, I'm sure that it messes with the route tables as well as other network settings. I was thinking that it could easily mess that up so that local traffic was not routed correctly. It is a semi-against-the-rules type of app after all.

Anyway, long story short, I would like to hear back if people who are unable to get wifi sync to work have mytether installed. If anyone more knowledgable than me knows what could be "adjusted" other than restoring the pre, that would be my ultimate end goal.

Count me in as one of those people who have My Tether and can't sync through wifi. On the bright side I finally got Bluetooth hotsync to work thanks in part to doctorzeph's write up in another thread.
    can someone tell me how to change the IP address that is showing on my pre? Also, I have a password for my wep key. How do you turn that off? Thanx
    FINALLY I am able to hotsync after fumbling for 2 hours with my new Bluetooth Dongle. I did, however, screw up my Palm user ID's. I thought I read somewhere it was advisable to choose a new user Id. Now I sync and get nothing but it's a start. Can someone walk me through renaming my Id etc. I have all my data on my laptop and have changed names on the laptop and my Pre (Classic) several times. Just about there and plenty excited after waiting since jun for this app.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    Count me in as one of those people who have My Tether and can't sync through wifi. On the bright side I finally got Bluetooth hotsync to work thanks in part to doctorzeph's write up in another thread.
    Glad my write up helped you. It took me quite a while to figure out the Bluetooth issue. Love the Precentral forums--I've received or read about a great deal of helpful advice.
    Glad my write up helped you. It took me quite a while to figure out the Bluetooth issue. Love the Precentral forums--I've received or read about a great deal of helpful advice.
    I was trying for two hours to figure out what was going on here. Turns out I just needed to disable MyTether not uninstall it.
    On the bright side I finally got Bluetooth hotsync to work thanks in part to doctorzeph's write up in another thread.
    Will you, or someone else who knows, PLEASE share with us where that thread might be? I have wasted far too many hours, nay, days, on this issue.

My pre is recognized by my pc. PC recognized by the pre. Bluetooth is pairing and exchanging some level of data, just not the hotsyncing I've been trying over and over ad nauseum.

Motion Apps doesn't have phone support (if I'd known that I actually wouldn't have bought their app), I've been denied help from 4 different Palm techs because hot-syncing is a "3rd party issue" (nevermind the fact it's only because Palm created this problem in the first place), and I believe I've read every thread on this issue from palm.com to treonauts to prethinking to, of course, here. In the end, I keep ending up with "cannot establish connection," even though everything I've followed tells me it should work!

It's Friday night and what am I doing? Wasting more hours trying fix Palm's problems so I can back up my data before risking the 1.3.5 update. I'm hearing the voices tell me to throw my pre against the wall.

Won't someone please help me stop the voices?
    <bump-up|awaiting answer>
  10. dpb
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    What error message are you getting? How far can you get trying to sync? Is wifi an option?

The way it works is it actually syncs over the internet connection sharing mechanism of bluetooth, so depending on *what* you are doing, that could be causing you problems. (I know it did for me before I understood what was going on).

Did you follow the video that MotionApps published? I have actually used bluetooth to hotsync, but not for a good while.
    Quote Originally Posted by PREmeditated View Post
    <bump-up|awaiting answer>
    Here are instructions and videos HotSync in Classic

If any issues, just submit the ticket at MotionApps Customer Support. Our support people will help you out.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12