Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I'm curious to know how well this app works.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    i'm also wondering if anyone had bought the app, and how is it supposed to work. before I got a chance to possibly "think" about buying it, it was taken away from the app catalog......lol, anyone got the chance to squeeze the app buying into the pre?
    They should offer "lite" versions for apps like these, as they did for this one in the app store, to give us a taste before be fork up 4 bucks or so.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    This app (along with all the other paid apps) are back up. I'm going to see if I can find a trial version. Too bad I don't have an HTPC on my big screen.
    This would work as a cool media remote.

Hmmm.....maybe someone out there will make some sort of Xbox remote that works through Wi-Fi.
    Hi Folks,

there isn't a trial version at the moment. (at some point I'll probably release a lite version).

It works pretty well for me in my testing, and it is based on pretty solid code from my iPhone app.

Inevitably though, there will be things that I have missed (and will fix). And things that I can improve (and will!).

If you do buy the app and find any issues, I'll be happy to work with you to make sure they are sorted. Releasing on web os is new for me - and I'm keen to work with the community to get it right.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Wow! Good to know that we've got a one-on-one with the app developer!
    Question: Is this app more ideal for sitting on the couch, or being a "mobile dj" at your own house party (home local network)? Or are there uses for it long range - like I'm at work and I can log in to VLC on my home PC to record a Shoutcast?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon View Post
    Hi Folks,

there isn't a trial version at the moment. (at some point I'll probably release a lite version).

It works pretty well for me in my testing, and it is based on pretty solid code from my iPhone app.

Inevitably though, there will be things that I have missed (and will fix). And things that I can improve (and will!).

If you do buy the app and find any issues, I'll be happy to work with you to make sure they are sorted. Releasing on web os is new for me - and I'm keen to work with the community to get it right.

I would be cool if you could make a lite vlc app for us for free!!!! It would make the people happy
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    I would be cool if you could make a lite vlc app for us for free!!!! It would make the people happy
    Or even a trial version. I don't mind paying $5 for a super cool app. I'm just hesitant when I have no choice - It's like jumping in head first. I prefer to tinker with the trial/lite version to ensure that it all works, and then decide to buy or not.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tedbone View Post
    Or even a trial version. I don't mind paying $5 for a super cool app. I'm just hesitant when I have no choice - It's like jumping in head first. I prefer to tinker with the trial/lite version to ensure that it all works, and then decide to buy or not.
    yeah...but there should be a trial version of the full app....but then just a lite version so you can just have that version forever....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Wow! Good to know that we've got a one-on-one with the app developer!
    Question: Is this app more ideal for sitting on the couch, or being a "mobile dj" at your own house party (home local network)? Or are there uses for it long range - like I'm at work and I can log in to VLC on my home PC to record a Shoutcast?
    great idea...we could use sprint data to control our pcs from elsewhere....that when we have a live webcam feed we could see who is in our house and really scare them!! Lol this would be gr8

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    There is a RemoteWin-Lite app that controls your PC. This app also requires an "exe" app running on your desktop.
    To get it to work away from your network (or through EV-Do) you have to set port forwarding allocations within your router settings. But it is pretty darn cool, and runs fairly easy if you are at home with Wi-Fi on and are onnected to your local network.
    I guess You could just use RemoteWin-Lite instead of VLC Remote and have VLC runnning on your desktop, and control it that way, but I really like the way this VLC remote GUI looks.
    tedbone: I designed the app primarily to use to control my media pc at home - so the idea there is that it is a normal remote that you use from your sofa.

Having said that, you can browse your computer and add video or music to your playlist (or play tracks immediately), so it should work well as a mobile dj app too.

If you are good with networks, then you could make a connection from outside your local network, but VLC doesn't come with any network security, so it probably isn't a good idea.

My setup helper is built on the assumption that you use it in your home network (and it only opens VLC to local ip addresses)
    Hobbyist Software
    just curious as to why the price hike from iphone
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I don't what it will cost you on the iphone.....but this app could be cheaper!!

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfreak View Post
    just curious as to why the price hike from iphone
    My simplistic thinking was just that it was a similar amount of work - and I'm likely to get many fewer sales. (just because there are so many fewer pre owners)

I think it is worth $5 - thought in the end, you'll tell me whether or not that is true!

I used to sell my palm apps for $15-$25, so I'm kinda feeling my way around at the moment...
    Hobbyist Software
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    It's not such a high price if we'll continue to get upgrades for no extra charge. Is that your plan as well? Or after a few versions, do you spend so much time developing the upgrades that you have to charge for upgrades?

Also, if you offered at least a trial version, you could get a few more sales. In the past I have donated $5 or so for a really good app.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    It's not such a high price if we'll continue to get upgrades for no extra charge. Is that your plan as well? Or after a few versions, do you spend so much time developing the upgrades that you have to charge for upgrades?

Also, if you offered at least a trial version, you could get a few more sales. In the past I have donated $5 or so for a really good app.

no!......can you just make a lite version......I do not like trials..sounds like I might be sent to jail..lol!!

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    $5 is a bit pricey, but I am definitely gonna get $5 worth of use out of it (so sick of standing up every 25 mins when watching downloaded seasons of whatever).

Maybe it's my Pre and its at 25% battery during my first use of this app, but it freezes the hell out of my pre during use.

Every time I open a large directory on my computer through this app (My Music, My Videos) I get the error message. "No file info. Get the VLC remote may be trying to open a non-existent directory, or the connection may have been lost. Try pressing the home key to recover." Is it possible that it can't keep up with folders that have large numbers of files in them?

Right now it seems like I can just pause or play my videos, and even then it sometimes takes a minute just cause my pre is running so slow via app.

Needs to run smoother for $5.00

Looking forward to updates.

On my old palm apps, I had a policy of free upgrades for a year. That would be my preferred option on webOS, but frankly it all depends on how Palm implements things.

There certainly will be a bunch of upgrades for free as I get feedback from the pre community.
    Hobbyist Software
    "Memory Critical, Too Many Cards"

Current Apps Open: VLC Remote...

What's up with that?

Edit: My playlist was huge I think, I had like 8 movies on it, but that means cant have a lot of songs on a playlist....
    Last edited by GrantHeppes; 10/08/2009 at 02:57 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast