Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    as of March or April 2010 there is an awesome PRE app for Epocrates now so go to epocrates.com to download it. i've used it for a month or more and it is soooooo much nicer than the old Palm program. still offers a free version (the one i'm gushing about) as well as a subscription app).

as a long time (1 palm model after the pilot) obsessed palm fan i was quite angry that the new os was so completely UNPALM and therefore a huge hinderence to those of us in the medical field who've had 20 or 30 medical apps that made our jobs easier and well worth the 25 to 30 bucks each. i bought the classic app (another $30) to solve this problem and i was very impressed with the app and understood that new technology dev would eventually make all my .prc's certified for use.

i knew as soon as i updated that it had a bug because i had an immediate crash. i was about to ask others about their experience too but then i got brave and did the webos mojo hack and was surprised at how simple it was (till the last step which caused me irritation for 6hrs straight till i finally tried a mac keyboard shortcut and ignored the windows directions - i dont have the correct mac java to run the hack so i had to use the ****ty peecee for the hack- because windows makes no sense to me in terms of file tree root etc and it constantly asks me if i'm SURE I WANT BLAH BLAH even if i check the dont ask me again box over and over and over....

long story short..if you haven't braved the hack DO IT. all the apps n upgrades from then are are more palm like but still webos shiney and magical. no more 755 daily crash and reinstall and lost contacts, etc.

also, as soon as i hacked it i noticed an increase in speed (40% or so).

there's an app called Drugview that aggregates info from epocrates online as well as other well know pharm sites and gives better info as far as poss side effects and mech of actions broken down by each body system. its AWESOME and its online so there's no prc filling up your ram.theres hope for us disgrundled palmos fans after all.

dont forget Palm gives us the software to do the hack for free and encouraged development (very smart on their part because they dont have to pay programmers and the apps that are built by the mojo hackers are WAY better than the original webos apps). also if you brick your pre i'm pretty sure its not voided warranty because they are clearly authorizing this activity. if they try to screw you threaten to sue in civil court because the palm homepage gives auth and the app freely. in fact, if you're paranoid you should go to the webos dev main site and take screen shots of the boldly stated auth and encouragement and file it away for any sudden amnesia on their part.

the palm app store's rapid daily influx of new apps is nothing compared to the homebrews 1000's of VERY good free apps and improvements.

good luck. i went from being a hater to and obsessed freak who cant stop installing more tweaks and playing with them. i'm soooo in love with it now because i'm no longer powerless from the 360 degree change in usefulness of the pre. i was just about to reactivate the crashing treo so i could have a useful pda/smart phone instead of the shiney internet chat toy they started out as.

cat
    host/producer at creepycast podcast

oooh btw you can listen to my show, in its 4th year, on the stitcher app. they've just added my show to their recently added list and they tweeted that they love it too
    Last edited by creepycat; 04/15/2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: new info
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    How do you put the setup.prc file on the virtual card? I don't see a folder.
    You will not see the virtual card folder unless you have installed Classic 2.0 It should appear under the drop down menu on the home screen under All.

Regards,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    We’re working together with Epocrates on this and hopefully will be able to address the issue ASAP.

If you decide to try this workaround, please post your results, so that all of users depending on this app can benefit.
    Where are we on the issue of getting Epocrates to work with Classic?? I would love to have some or any report of progress on this issue. If not fixed soon I will quickly become an unloyal Palm user. Please update all of us on the status of this very important issue.

Kind regards,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ View Post
    Where are we on the issue of getting Epocrates to work with Classic?? I would love to have some or any report of progress on this issue. If not fixed soon I will quickly become an unloyal Palm user. Please update all of us on the status of this very important issue.

Kind regards,

Jim
    Jim, the status is as follows: we have members from both teams assigned to this. Currently looking for log files that will help determine where the issue is.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Yeah, I'm still waiting until the problem is resolved before I install ePocrates into Classic. Using epocrates online for the time being.
    Yeah, I'm still waiting until the problem is resolved before I install ePocrates into Classic. Using epocrates online for the time being.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    creepycat,

what webos mojo hack did you do? I haven't seen one that speeds up the Pre. It sounds like it works well. Do you have a link?
    Jim, the status is as follows: we have members from both teams assigned to this. Currently looking for log files that will help determine where the issue is.
    Thanks for posting an update. To date I have tried the following things:

1. Install setup on virtual card->Failed
    2. Install setup on main->failed
    3. Perform Hard reset and install only Epocrates setup on virtual card->fail
    4. Perform Hard reset and install only Epocrates setup on main area->failed

Oddly after failure, I still get messages when I start up Classic that Epocrates is trying to autoupdate even though it failed to install. This is a very perplexing problem. I wish you both luck with working on it. I had high hopes with the hard reset but about 2/3 way through it threw a fatal exception.
    Thanks for posting an update. To date I have tried the following things:

1. Install setup on virtual card->Failed
    2. Install setup on main->failed
    3. Perform Hard reset and install only Epocrates setup on virtual card->fail
    4. Perform Hard reset and install only Epocrates setup on main area->failed

Oddly after failure, I still get messages when I start up Classic that Epocrates is trying to autoupdate even though it failed to install. This is a very perplexing problem. I wish you both luck with working on it. I had high hopes with the hard reset but about 2/3 way through it threw a fatal exception.
    Thanks for reporting on what you tried and results (or “no results”).

We hope we will be able to find “the devil” pretty fast once we get these log files.
    Follow us on Twitter

Thank you Motionapps for your responsiveness in the matter.
    what are the log files you speak of.

after the crash there was a screen with a list of things on it preported to be running. I took screenshots of the list and sent the links to a photobucket account where I uploaded them, to your tech dept, along with my help request. Is there anything we can do to help this process or is it a different log file?
    Thanks for reporting on what you tried and results (or “no results”).

We hope we will be able to find “the devil” pretty fast once we get these log files.
    I am just curious if this is an incompatibility with another application. While I have quite a number of homebrew applications installed on my Pre I have NO root level change hacks installed. It was a big step for me hard reset Classic and I am not looking forward to wiping all the data from the Pre, to factory fresh to test this hypothesis.

I am curious if others here who are new to the Pre and not laden with Homebrew applications have had the same problem with Epocrates. Honestly, for me Epocrates is the only application that runs under Classic that accesses the web for updates. Other favorite applications such as the Skyscape series seem to work well and have no problems.

The other curious note is that many of the "free" applications that came with Classic 2.0 crash it as well. What logs are you waiting for and can I forward any such logs to you in the interim?

Regards,

Jim
    I've done a WebOS Dr. clean reset. Even without homebrew anything, I still can't install Epocrates onto Classic 2.0.

I've also put the pre into airplane mode, leaving just wifi on, and I wasn't able to install then, too.

It seems that when autoupdate gets to a certain point in the installation process, it crashes every time.
    @windzilla: thank you for the screenshots – it sure is material that might help. We’re looking for the log files that we can get only from developer/Epocrates.

@DrCJ: at this point, we would need the files that only developers can create – however, we know where to ask if we need something from user’s phones. Also, there should not be any incompatibilities between Classic and apps on your Pre, and no incompatibility between apps you have in Classic. This can happen only in case if you have apps (in Classic) that approach system in a “hackish” way. Epocrates and SkyScape are not that kind of apps

@stung: exactly the kind of behavior we recreated – so the log files should tell us where this crash occurs and hopefully what causes it. As we said to DrCJ, your homebrew apps together with Classic should not be the cause of this (we know we tested without any homebrew apps installed and got the errors)
    Follow us on Twitter

@DrCJ: at this point, we would need the files that only developers can create – however, we know where to ask if we need something from user’s phones. Also, there should not be any incompatibilities between Classic and apps on your Pre, and no incompatibility between apps you have in Classic. This can happen only in case if you have apps (in Classic) that approach system in a “hackish” way. Epocrates and SkyScape are not that kind of apps

Thanks for keeping all of us so well informed. In the past Palm has been particularly guilty about never responding to issues. Your reply here makes the process of finding the glitch more real and reveals that this is not something that we, as end users, have created by root level hacks or by homebrew applications.

This type of open revelation of the core problems you, as developers, face is crucial to the end user to see where this is going. Prior to your further presence here in this forum I had every intention of going to Sprint, paying the ETF and moving on from Palm. Honestly, not being able to sync ITunes and my Pre are irritations to me, but nothing makes me hot like having a massive failure of applications I have relied on for years as a part of my work. This type of failure is similar to the misguided Microsoft upgrade structure for Windows 7. Almost every hospital I have worked in the past 10 years run Windows XP. How many IT professionals are going to wipe those machines, install Vista and THEN install Wiindows 7??

In the same fashion, none of us in the medical community could have forseen the issues with Classic 2.0. I was elated when Classic was initally released and worked with Epocrates. For me, the small size of the Pre is a godsend and the initial release was icing on the cake that I had made a good decision about the Pre. The subsequent problems with Classic 2.0 really has made a mess of things. I had every hope that things would only get better. To not have the ability to roll back to an earlier version of Classic really hurt as well.

I am so thankful for your honesty, your open communication here and the fact that you are obviously reading every post here and replying. I wish Microsoft would follow suit with it's endeavors. Thank you again for sticking with this and for trying to get to the bottom of things.

Kind regards,

Jim

Thanks for keeping all of us so well informed. In the past Palm has been particularly guilty about never responding to issues. Your reply here makes the process of finding the glitch more real and reveals that this is not something that we, as end users, have created by root level hacks or by homebrew applications.

This type of open revelation of the core problems you, as developers, face is crucial to the end user to see where this is going. Prior to your further presence here in this forum I had every intention of going to Sprint, paying the ETF and moving on from Palm. Honestly, not being able to sync ITunes and my Pre are irritations to me, but nothing makes me hot like having a massive failure of applications I have relied on for years as a part of my work. This type of failure is similar to the misguided Microsoft upgrade structure for Windows 7. Almost every hospital I have worked in the past 10 years run Windows XP. How many IT professionals are going to wipe those machines, install Vista and THEN install Wiindows 7??

In the same fashion, none of us in the medical community could have forseen the issues with Classic 2.0. I was elated when Classic was initally released and worked with Epocrates. For me, the small size of the Pre is a godsend and the initial release was icing on the cake that I had made a good decision about the Pre. The subsequent problems with Classic 2.0 really has made a mess of things. I had every hope that things would only get better. To not have the ability to roll back to an earlier version of Classic really hurt as well.

I am so thankful for your honesty, your open communication here and the fact that you are obviously reading every post here and replying. I wish Microsoft would follow suit with it's endeavors. Thank you again for sticking with this and for trying to get to the bottom of things.

Kind regards,

Jim
    I would like to echo Dr CJ's comments on this. as a student who is required to have epocrates, and who uses PDA functionality as a de-facto part of my day to day clerking, I appreciate that you are working on this openly. I hope for a speedy resolution. but for now I am glad i haven't sold my old Samsung Omina. it is a pain to carry two devices around, but as a medical clerk, carrying lots of things around is part of the territory.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    As the original starter of this thread, I simply ask why can't we downgrade to Classic 1.3 while we wait for ePocrates and MotionApps to fix this. I had ePocrates working very well in Classic 1.3 under WebOS 1.2, including working OTA syncs. I wouldn't at all be as ticked off if I could still use Classic 1.3. This delay is unacceptable for us medical professionals.
    x2

I was able to go through the last few weeks of my last rotation without using epocrates, but I can't imagine going through my next rotation, internal medicine, without it. Due to the long work hours I won't be able to study as much outside of the wards and I was planning on using epocrates heavily as a way to study on the go. I would also like to be able to downgrade to 1.3 while this issue gets resolved. While I would like to say that using the web to search for drugs, the truth is that it's not fast enough.
    @ABQMD: our versions releases are tied to updates released by Palm, which is why there is no option to downgrade the app version manually. It sure would be a “good” temporary fix, and if this was possible, we would have given you the info how to do it.

Additionally, we are aware of this users group need – medical professionals who depend on medical apps – and the fact that things have to run just perfectly. This is why we are doing our best to fix this ASAP.
    Follow us on Twitter

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    OK, I understand, and thanks for the straightforward reply. The funny thing is I had thought Classic 1.3 was much faster for the few days that it ran under WebOS 1.2. I remember how fast ePocrates synced OTA and how much faster both Classic and ePocrates opened and ran before Classic 2.0.

I will wait with everyone else for the solution to this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast