1.    #1  
    We really need a Text completer like the old TextPlus for Palm or like WordLogic for Desktop PC and windows mobile devices. It would save key strokes and keep us from having misspelled words and phrases.

Dictionaries are nice, but I rarely use them if I have a text completer.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    I agree. After having windows mobile the last few years I was blown away at first that the pre didn't have this feature. I'm used to it now but it'd sure be nice...
    +1
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I forget where, but somewhere on these boards a user was working on something like this. There is a dictionary file somewhere in the filesystem that includes some BASIC spelling errors / fixes IE; u=you, havent=haven't. Whoever was working on this put together a whole giant list of words that could be "fat fingered" and spelled incorrectly. The file was very large as it contained a ****load of possible combos. Search for it and see what comes up...
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e_town View Post
    I forget where, but somewhere on these boards a user was working on something like this. There is a dictionary file somewhere in the filesystem that includes some BASIC spelling errors / fixes IE; u=you, havent=haven't. Whoever was working on this put together a whole giant list of words that could be "fat fingered" and spelled incorrectly. The file was very large as it contained a ****load of possible combos. Search for it and see what comes up...
    Actually it's a tweak you can apply in WebOS Quick Install. It's called "Improved Auto Correct Dictionary". It's nice but not perfect. Basically it looks at any mispelled word and finds if it matches a real word if you change one letter for one that's next to that key. Basically if you mistype a letter off by one key from what you meant. Something like that anyway. It works well but it also changes some words that I don't want it to.

I'd still prefer an on screen type ahead feature.
    The problem with the tweak is that it REALLY slows down WebOS when loaded with a sizeable word list. For something like this you need a fast data structure with preloaded lists.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  7.    #7  
    Also, a text completer goes beyond misspelled words. It uses your keystrokes to determine what words I use most. For example, I type ex and example, exit, extremity appear. I simply tap on the word I want instead of typing the full word before I discover if I spelled it correctly or incorrectly. In addition, I can add other words just like a dictionary.

This App is sorely missed and I'd be willing to pay $10-$15 for it.
    I too miss this feature. If you do a lot of typing on the phone (especially as a business user), having the auto-correct/auto-complete capabaility is great. I used to send a lot of meeting requests (which admittedly is still a missing part of activesync on the Pre), but I would type "mrq" and it would write out "meeting request". It used to save a lot of time when I was writing long emails.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73 View Post
    I too miss this feature. If you do a lot of typing on the phone (especially as a business user), having the auto-correct/auto-complete capabaility is great. I used to send a lot of meeting requests (which admittedly is still a missing part of activesync on the Pre), but I would type "mrq" and it would write out "meeting request". It used to save a lot of time when I was writing long emails.
    Ah, that part that you're talking about is short-cuts and that is still available through Homebrews. It's an App called "Auto Correct Edit." I love the app, but I can't purchase it for the rest of the family. They'd never remember their shortcut phrases. Thus, I'm waiting for the Text Completer for everyone else. But with Auto Correct Edit, I'm sitting pretty compared to many in Pre land.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Here is the link to the post i was talking about above. I just installed it and tested it quickly and its KILLER..... I don't think i will be able to live without this in the future....

"http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/187993-autoreplace-upgrade.html"

stupid URL codes not working right....
    Last edited by e_town; 10/06/2009 at 05:11 PM.