Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I was looking at the GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr the other day an I thought this $100 unit could be easily replaced by a simple pre app. All it does is record gps coordinates and a time stamp. Then you synch that log with you photos. I could also do this with my Garmin, but the Pre would be much easier to carry around.

Are there any apps out there that do this?
    There is already an option for this built inside the Pre. Just go to Location Services and then enable Geotag. Any pictures taken with the Pre will then be tagged with coordinates.

Or you could be asking for a separate Pre app that will log your current GPS coordinates (at the press of a button) when you take a picture with a different camera.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Yeah, the device he's talking about basically records your GPS coordinates all day long.

Then, when you get home, you can plug your memory card directly into the device, and it'll update the geotag information automatically before you download the pics to your computer.

I think it'd be pretty slick for the Pre, but it would be some work (and a desktop app of sorts). Also, the Pre won't pull down GPS coordinates when its "asleep". The PreTracker (FitTrack now) had the same problem. I don't know if it was ever resolved, but I assume so.

EDIT: nevermind, the above mentioned unit doesn't have an integrated card reader but basically with desktop software it syncs up the time of the picture with the GPS data stored on the other unit you also carry with you.
    Last edited by nKoan; 10/04/2009 at 06:43 PM.
    Nikon's geotagging GP-1 dongle now available

If you shoot Nikon, the above unit is designed to do what you're talking about. Of course, it sells for over $200, so you have to have a pretty strong need. I believe that most regular devices have the ability to record a track during a day, though I think most do it by taking a point periodically rather than continuous. Good idea about linking the time on the track with the time the photo was taken! Synchronizing "watches" would be a must-do, of course.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies to my rather short post. Typing on the pre makes my thumbs hurt..

There already is a windows interface that can take GPX files and then inject that data in to the EXIF header of the jpeg.

Can't post urls yet, but the name of the software is gpicsync

code.google.com/p/gpicsync/

Since my Garmin can log gpx data I can take that log and inject it in to the photos. I have never done this, but but in theory that's the way it should work.

So really all that's needed is an app on the pre that would record GPS data with a time stamp into a any of the available gps data formats, and then gpicsync would do the rest.

From the looks of it FitTrack would do this if it would just write its data out to a text file. I hadn't see that before. I will have to take a look at that app.

I was only looking in the location section of the app library. I tried Go To Tool, but the log button didn't quite do what I had hoped.

Some other apps that are close are the where's my pre and longitude apps. Those are designed to upload instead of write a file, but it would be nice if they could just write a file, code-wise that would be much simpler.

Not sure what having the GPS on all the time with any of these apps would do the battery life.

flips
    Bump. I would love there to be a GPS solution between my DSLR and Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizelbs View Post
    Bump. I would love there to be a GPS solution between my DSLR and Pre.
    +1
    +2 Canon 5DMK2
    A manual entry solution is to just take a 2nd photo with your Pre when you need the data. Match the images/time stamp and look at the Pre pic EXIF. It records GPS coordinates for photos if location svcs are on. Not the auto transfer you are looking for.
    This is definitely #1 on my list of desired apps.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I would really want this as well. It has been a long time and this is a pretty basic app.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I stumbled upon this new app this evening (still in beta) called trackspace, Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further. it will log and export in gpx. GPSPhotoLinker seems to have no problem with the file and it seems to work pretty well. It does seem to drain the battery fairly quickly, it went from 100 to 20% in about 5 hours, but I did turn down the "minimum" velocity and other stuff to make it to log since I was sitting at home not moving and the default values I believe would not log unless you are in motion.

Going to have to play around with this a little bit more to really check it out (their site is in German, so it's going to be a challenge)
    Silly question but i have the geotag opton turned on, but where do i check that EXIF info everyone is talking about? Do i check that on the phone?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cl191 View Post
    I stumbled upon this new app this evening (still in beta) called trackspace, it will log and export in gpx. GPSPhotoLinker seems to have no problem with the file and it seems to work pretty well. It does seem to drain the battery fairly quickly, it went from 100 to 20% in about 5 hours, but I did turn down the "minimum" velocity and other stuff to make it to log since I was sitting at home not moving and the default values I believe would not log unless you are in motion.

Going to have to play around with this a little bit more to really check it out (their site is in German, so it's going to be a challenge)
    +1 for trackspace! Thanks for that recommendation! I tried it after I saw your post and it does a great job creating a standard GPX file. I used gpic sync and it accepted the file format fine. I haven't actually tagged, photos, but I will give that a try soon.

There's another app out there, I don't recall the name which was made for this purpose, but it didn't create a standard file format, it instead created a proprietary file and then use an author's windows program to modify the exif tag. I didn't like this as much as you are tied to that program. I tried searching for it in the app store, but I wasn't able to fine it, sorry I can't remember the name.

I much prefer trackspace as you create a standard GPX file which you can load in to google maps, etc, and do all sorts of things with it besides geotag your photos. Money well spent!

Quote Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
    Silly question but i have the geotag opton turned on, but where do i check that EXIF info everyone is talking about? Do i check that on the phone?
    I don't believe you can view it on your phone. You would have to use an external program. Picasa with google earth for example..
    picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=43900

Edit: I just came across a great program called GeoSetter. This allows you to view an image over google maps and you can synch to a gpx file. This is easier than trying to use picasa with google earth if you want to just try it out.
    geosetter.de/en/

flips
    Last edited by flips; 06/07/2010 at 11:56 AM.