Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I got a new pre this week and started to download some new apps to see how it works.. I was playing video poker, the one you can get for free on the apps download page on your pre and while playing I hit a link at the bottom when I was going to hit the draw button. all the suddon a new window opened up and something was downloaded onto my pre. I closed out the window and when I try to find out what it was I cant seem to find any new apps or where that would be. I did a full erase but when it came back up my pakm profile downloaded everything back. when I did the full erase is there anyway that whatever got downloaded is still on there? Also where can I do to see what has been downloaded ?? I am worried that was some type of trojan or something. It was so strange it opened up a blank new page and just started downloading. then said download done. please if anyone can point me in a good direction it would help. Thanks
    Paranoid Much?

it was most likely an update to the video poker app.

100% no chance you got a virus!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Paranoid Much?

it was most likely an update to the video poker app.

100% no chance you got a virus!
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Let's look at the facts.

1. The Pre is a smartphone, and while they have cropped up, viruses on smartphones are practically non-existent.

2. WebOS is new, and not a likely target for those who would create a virus.

3. Underneath WebOS, the Pre runs Linux, and while there have been a very few targeted linux attacks, and a few proof of concept linux viruses, there is no such thing as a linux virus "in the wild."

4. This was not a homebrew app, or something you downloaded from unknown website. This was part of an app from the official Palm App Store. You don't get a more trusted source. Do you really think Palm just let's peole toss whatever they want in the app store without testing it first?

On a virus worry scale of 1-10, this should be a zero for normal people, and a 1 if you're incredibly paranoid. Doing a full erase over this is, quite frankly, worrisome.

On a funny side note, years ago my ex father in law was living with my ex wife and I. (We were still married at the time, but it's a long story anyway)

So he really like to play solitaire on my computer, but he was convinced that the government could watch him though my webcam, so he'd always have it turned around backwards and tucked behind the monitor, or put a ball cap over it.

And when he wasn't using the computer, he'd always shut the door because he was sure that "hackers" could remotely turn it on over my 56k dial-up modem and listen in.
    this is good stuff keep up the good stories please,lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Ok, I guess when I look at some of the things you guys mentioned it makes sence. Maybe I over reacted a bit. I wouldnt say I dont use a webcam to avoid the man but I like to avoid issues. I can see how the original post was alittle frantic. I opened up the the app again (Video Poker) and noticed what I clicked on, there is a add bar right above the "Draw" or Deal" buttons. It keeps changing what is displayed there but always asks you to "Click Here". I was wondering if anyone knows when something is downloaded from the web, where its's placed on the phones memory. If there is a way to go to that location and manualy delete the downloaded file. By the way THANK YOU for taking the time to help out a paraniod.