Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    FULL SCREEN!!!!

A visor neo was my first palm in 2000? i think. i have so many palm apps it's not even funny. i would buy classic if it supported full screen, but have no interest in a treo screen on my pre...none at all.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Must say, Full Screen... then all else from there. That would be nice...
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I am going to transition over to a Pre from a Centro in a few months and had some Classic questions. Does the Pre require a specific user/synch ID like the old palm OS devices in order for registered applications to still function in full version mode or how is that handled? Will it be difficult to transfer data that I have in various applications on my Centro into the Pre? I am guessing not if it is actually a Centro emulator, but you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post
    I am going to transition over to a Pre from a Centro in a few months and had some Classic questions. Does the Pre require a specific user/synch ID like the old palm OS devices in order for registered applications to still function in full version mode or how is that handled? Will it be difficult to transfer data that I have in various applications on my Centro into the Pre? I am guessing not if it is actually a Centro emulator, but you never know.
    Any software that you had for the Centro that required a user name for registration will need to see that user name on the Pre. Now that syncing "mostly" works with Classic, you can probably assign a user name when you sync for the first time, just like with previous Palm devices.

There is an "on board" approach that you can take, though, using the Classic-supplied application Hotsync ID. In this app, you can simply type in whatever user id you want Classic to have. Then, when you load your software via USB and run it, it will see the correct hotsync ID.

If you've been syncing your Centro, and plan to switch over to syncing with Classic, do a little research, and feel free to ask questions here to make for a painless switch.

Regards,
    Tom
    We’ve decided to turn some of the most requested features mentioned here in the forums and in support requests into the list of FAQs on our website – check it out here Customer Support - MotionApps

Those FAQs give the status and the reasons for why we are not able to support some of the features you’d like to see in Classic.

Also, we addressed the fact many of you were not able to find Classic in the App Catalog – here is the explanation and a workaround that should help Customer Support - MotionApps
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    We’ve decided to turn some of the most requested features mentioned here in the forums and in support requests into the list of FAQs on our website – check it out here Customer Support - MotionApps

Those FAQs give the status and the reasons for why we are not able to support some of the features you’d like to see in Classic.

Also, we addressed the fact many of you were not able to find Classic in the App Catalog – here is the explanation and a workaround that should help Customer Support - MotionApps
    Thank you MotionApps for your support page that explains why Classic CANNOT support 340X480 full screen. It took 3 months, but, afterall, it is an answer we've been waiting for. It's interesting that the Palm TX used Palm OS Garnet v.5.4.9 at 340X480...which would have been much better to emulate. Even the Pixie has a better Classic UI then the Pre. The more alternate solutions that become available for the Pre, the less I find Classic a useful app. I hope that the next revision/upgrade will prove to be a welcomed and less buggy solution choice to those still loving the Palm OS. Cheers to you!
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    My requests for future Classic:

Better support of alarms. DateBk6 alarms still do not reliably play, after all this time.

Stability. If you can't avoid crashing, at least don't take the whole Pre with you.

Speed up starting. Remove splash screens. I'm not launching Classic for your logo, I'm trying to get to an app.

I'd ask that you concentrate on fixing the broken things with Classic, rather than working on new features. This is especially important with your updates being tied to Palm's releases. When you put out a broken build, we are stuck with it for a long period of time.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    my requests for future classic:

Stability. If you can't avoid crashing, at least don't take the whole pre with you.

I'd ask that you concentrate on fixing the broken things with classic, rather than working on new features.
    +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
    I've been using Classic for about a week now.
    I agree with the DateBk alarms - need to be reliable.
    The lack of copy-paste integration with WebOS is not good either. I need to be able to copy info between Classic apps & WebOS apps.
    I've noticed an issue with the 5-way. If I touch up or down, either via the 5-way or via the keyboard (when activated), the cursor jumps to the top or bottom of the screen, instead of going 1 line at a time. This happens in memos, notes fields in DateBk and ToDo.
    Anyone else seeing this?
    PalmOS (aka Classic) can start a program so fast that it's running before your fingers move from the start button to the keyboard. webOS' Contacts app, on the other hand, demands an embarrassing 5-10 second delay before it's ready for data entry (ditto for iPhone, Android, etc...).

PalmOS/Classic, on the other hand, doesn't even interrupt the conversation. In 2 seconds it's ready to go and remains the only PDA to compete with a paper notepad for data entry speed. Performance is KING and PalmOS rules the performance world. iPhone, Android, webOS, and Windows Mobile remain shamefully slower than Palm's original 1996 Pilot 1000. Those PIM apps, using a mere 16MHz cpu and 128kb of memory still run circles around "modern" OS's. Kadak's AMX real time kernel was superior.

I'll stay with Classic until the folks at Palm figure out how to drop the bloat from webOS and tune it to compete with a Palm Centro. If the Centro included a WebKit based browser, I would never have left PalmOS.
    Last edited by mwarren_us; 02/07/2010 at 05:01 PM.
    I'm torn here. There are some apps that I rarely used in PalmOS, but they were handy when I needed them; for those, I'll keep them in Classic. There are other apps that I used on a regular basis; when those come as a WebOS version, I'll stop using the Classic version.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    My requests for future Classic:
    Stability. If you can't avoid crashing, at least don't take the whole Pre with you.
    webOS needs to run processes under more than one userid. Giving every process root privileges pretty much negates the safety features the Linux kernel offers and is particularly bad in the case of BrowserPlugins. When Flash arrives next month, hopefully it will be walled off under a low privilege userid.
    Last edited by mwarren_us; 02/09/2010 at 02:00 AM.
    I agree that stability should be a priority. With the last release it's been somewhat more stable than before, so I've been trying to keep the Classic app open all the time. However, about once a day, it'll crash so badly it either freezes the system or permanently prevents me from running other apps, even though the "too many cards" error does not appear. And recently, even if Classic didn't crash, I often got the "too many cards" message. Once I closed Classic, then I could run other apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwarren_us View Post
    PalmOS (aka Classic) can start a program so fast that it's running before your fingers move from the start button to the keyboard.
    Yeah. Nice going on that webOS calendar there, Palm. Here's one example of why Classic must remain a destination:

-How to extract important details from a PDA appointment 6 months from today's date-

PalmOS via Classic running inside webOS: 1.CONTROL>2.SHIFT>3.KEYWORD>4.OK = In less than 2 seconds an entire list of calendar entries containing the target keyword appears, most recent entry at the top of the list.

WebOS: 1.LAUNCHER(WaitForLoading)>2.GOOGLECalendarSearchApp(WaitForLoading)>3.KEYWORD>4.POPUPARROW> 5.SELECTbackward/forward/both>6.SEARCHICON>7.WaitFor1-2MinutesForSearch> 8.TakeNoteOfApptDateAndMemorizeForNextSteps>9.MINIMIZESearchWindow> 10.LAUNCHER(WaitForLoading)>11.CalendarApp(WaitForLoading)>12.TapTopBar>13.EnterMONTH> 14.EnterDay>15.EnterYear>16.SelectJUMPtoDATE(WaitForLoading) = In a total of approximately 3 1/2 minutes a blank Google Calendar page will appear where your appointment should have been. And don't even think about searching for a keyword in the Google "description" field for an appointment. Not possible--even if you just entered the information yesterday. You cannot do a webOS calendar search of any text or details you enter into that field.

How can a webOS software engineer even begin to defend the webOS calendar trainwreck?
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Motion Apps- Is there any way you guys might consider an IPad-IPhone emulator app, so we can run all those great IPhone apps that will never be available on the Pre? Are the OS's so different that this can't be done?
    Quote Originally Posted by metzia View Post
    Motion Apps- Is there any way you guys might consider an IPad-IPhone emulator app, so we can run all those great IPhone apps that will never be available on the Pre? Are the OS's so different that this can't be done?
    Completely different OS Architecture, and Apple would eat them alive :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristanlogd View Post
    Completely different OS Architecture, and Apple would eat them alive :P
    ROFL

something like that, yeah
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    I know you said 320x320 and Centro emulation only but seriously, if you can somehow emulate 320x480 as does the TX which runs Garnet 5.4.9 as well, then Classic will really rock.
    Please do consider it.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma Slingplayer and Kinoma

any smartphone that doesn't have olivetree bible reader, kinoma and slingplayer working. ain't really that smart.

1 out of 3 won't cut it. until sling and kinoma play treogangsta no pay
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast