Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    For those who don't know, the current app Intuit:GOPayment does not permit the use of a bluetooth/hand held card reader. I have been told by Intuit that there are no plans to correct this limitation and that the GoPayment app currently will be only direct data entry.

Also, I have been told by Palm Support that the limitation for using a bluetooth card reader is not with the Palm Pre but with the APP Development. To quote Palm: "If developers develop it then we may be able to use it."

Does anyone know of an App that works with the Palm Pre and a bluetooth reader? And if not, can it be done? Is it a hardward or software issue? If its software, then it sounds to me like a good place for a developer to solve this problem. I am already spending money for Credit Card transactions. I would love to make those payments to a WEBOS developer instead.
    Merchantanywhere.com has a system that may be compatible with your needs. Check it out and let me know what you think.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    thanks! but this is the information from Merchantanywhere on the Pre
    "PALM PRE: A new OS, unfortunately they are not fully compatible with Palm OS apps. We are offering Keyed only support for this model."

Palm Pre doesn't seem to have the ability to do the BT reader/swipe. So much for a smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qigate View Post
    thanks! but this is the information from Merchantanywhere on the Pre
    "PALM PRE: A new OS, unfortunately they are not fully compatible with Palm OS apps. We are offering Keyed only support for this model."

Palm Pre doesn't seem to have the ability to do the BT reader/swipe. So much for a smartphone.
    Someone just needs to develop the ability. Has nothing to do with the phone.
    no 'Thanks'
    Check out merchantid.com
    Have you found something that works for you yet?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by itsallgood View Post
    Merchantanywhere.com has a system that may be compatible with your needs. Check it out and let me know what you think.
    From the WebOS page at merchantanywhere.com

NOTE: This is a KEYED ONLY application, users will not be able to swipe or print.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Someone just needs to develop the ability. Has nothing to do with the phone.
    That's not exactly true, unless you are separating "the phone" from "the OS running on the phone"

WebOS does not have any of the 'standard' bluetooth stacks installed, and unless something has changed since I sold my old BT keyboard, there is no practical way to install one, as it would require a MAJOR overhaul of WebOS.

Most card swipers, regardless of how they connect to the system, are just keyboards as far as the host system is concerned. You can take most any system with a credit card scanner, exit out of the software used for transactions, open up a text editor, and a swipe will print out all of the information on the mag stripe to plain text.

There is no way to fix this until one of two things happens:

1. Palm releases a WebOS update with a more capable bluetooth stack.

or

2. Some enterprising home-brew developer manages to find a way to patch a proper BT stack into webOS, which I'm guessing, would be one of the most complex and technically difficult patches ever made.