Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Foursquare is a site that let's you check in an see where your friends are at. I know quite a few people with iphones that use it.

Would you like to see a version for the Pre?

If so, go to this link, and you can vote for the Pre:

foursquare[dot]com/mobile_beta

At the time of this post, the current stats are:
    Blackberry 805 71%
    Palm Pre 90 8%
    Series 60 23 2%
    Other 219 19%

With enough votes from here, we can push past the blackberry!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    This just came to my city, so I've been playing around. I can easily navigate foursquare.com and m.foursquare.com to both create locations and then check-in at them, but the feature I'm missing is finding things to do near me, i.e. tying this into the GPS, which iPhone users have with their app.

I'd love to see a full app for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Definitely hope to see this on the Pre.
    Someone please develop something using the API that you can get from them (this is if I understood what I read on some forum elsewhere).
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Bump for more votes
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Voted. Hope to see an app soon!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    It's coming guys, it's coming, I promise.
    I can't wait for a foursquare app on the Pre.
    They're already working on one. I tried it myself, couldn't get it to log in.

foursquare's foursquare-palmpre at master - GitHub
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They're already working on one. I tried it myself, couldn't get it to log in.

foursquare's foursquare-palmpre at master - GitHub
    I just tried installing it to my Pre a few days ago. It wouldn't locate any check ins yet, but I do like the Launcher Icon. haha
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Guys,

We're in alpha mode right now, but we'll need beta testers soon. We'll be letting you guys know.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Was just checking this out and was very happy to find it logs in fine, then pops over to nearby-venues, pulling what I'd expect to see :-) Excellent! Couldn't get to venuedetail, but really excited to see this and hoping to get to check it out more after cooking some turkey tomorrow. Awesome job and very interested in beta testing this if possible!
    let me know about beta testing
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I used the latest all afternoon and evening and works really well. I did manage to lock it up once. Believe I had just added a shout and then checked into the location and it locked up when the dialog came up to log in... only happened once with 11 checkins and only when I did it after posting a shout prior to checking in, although no idea if there was any connection. I just closed the app and started it back up.

Otherwise, searched (pretty please all the search text box to submit info with the enter/return instead of only pressing the button), checked in, viewed profiles including my own and even added two locations. Aside from being rough around the edges and obviously a work in progress, the only other real issue I think I ran into was when adding a new location. I would bring up the scene for adding a new location and start entering info. I wanted to go over to the browser where I had the address and telephone number, but when I did, it would close the scene for adding a new location and go back to the search scene. If I brought the add a location scene back up, the previous info I'd entered would be gone... so pretty much, I couldn't look up any details for the location I was adding.

Great work!
    Hey guys, I'm doing the bulk of the coding on the app. (I'm zhephree on github) Thanks for the feedback. It is truly a pre-alpha, w-i-p application. Almost a proof-of-concept.

For those interested, here's our tentative roadmap:
    1 - Develop all major features
    2 - Fine tune major features; add in additional features
    3 - Beta Test
    4 - Clean up UI and look-and-feel
    5 - Continue Testing
    6 - Release

We're still a ways off, but I want to release by year's end. We're working closely with Foursquare themselves, so I'm not sure exactly what their plan for release is, but if they've got a schedule, we'll be adhering to that.

I've made some great strides in the last week and expect it to move faster from here.

You are all welcome to try out the code that's on Github, but please be forewarned: the application is a work in progress and no guarantees can be made in terms of its functionality or safety. The application is harmless (only writes cookies), however, I've done very little error-catching and I've done zero checks for memory leaks. As a result, if the application does slow down your device, let me know, but also, don't get flustered.

And please let me know of any problems you have using it.

cebellevie: I'm aware of some of the issues you're describing. the reason for the "freezing up" is actually that two dialogs are being displayed and the event for the click of the buttons are attached to the first created instance, meaning that the second one that is on top has no actions tied to it so the buttons are useless. This is a known bug I have to work out.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgeoph View Post
    Hey guys, I'm doing the bulk of the coding on the app. (I'm zhephree on github) Thanks for the feedback. It is truly a pre-alpha, w-i-p application. Almost a proof-of-concept.

For those interested, here's our tentative roadmap:
    1 - Develop all major features
    2 - Fine tune major features; add in additional features
    3 - Beta Test
    4 - Clean up UI and look-and-feel
    5 - Continue Testing
    6 - Release

We're still a ways off, but I want to release by year's end. We're working closely with Foursquare themselves, so I'm not sure exactly what their plan for release is, but if they've got a schedule, we'll be adhering to that.

I've made some great strides in the last week and expect it to move faster from here.

You are all welcome to try out the code that's on Github, but please be forewarned: the application is a work in progress and no guarantees can be made in terms of its functionality or safety. The application is harmless (only writes cookies), however, I've done very little error-catching and I've done zero checks for memory leaks. As a result, if the application does slow down your device, let me know, but also, don't get flustered.

And please let me know of any problems you have using it.

cebellevie: I'm aware of some of the issues you're describing. the reason for the "freezing up" is actually that two dialogs are being displayed and the event for the click of the buttons are attached to the first created instance, meaning that the second one that is on top has no actions tied to it so the buttons are useless. This is a known bug I have to work out.
    Glad to hear that the freeze up was something you were aware of :-)

Again, even at alpha stage, this is looking good and really excited using it. I even managed to briefly top Seattle's leaderboard yesterday thanks to the ease of checking in.
    Glad to hear it! I started writing it because I was tired of using the web interface myself!
    Finally downloaded it last night, about to grab so many mayorships today.
    Which ipk(s) should we be installing from the github site?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast