Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. BigKenW's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hey all,

    As an avid user of my Amazon Kindle 2, I would love to have a Kindle Reader on the Pre. I saw a post by PreCentral a while ago about it. I know the iPhone has a version. Has anyone heard if the Pre is going to get this? Officially or unofficially?

    Thanks,

    Ken
  2. #2  
    It would be great to have ebooks on the Pre. I hope it isn't just Amazon's pathetically controlling kindle DRM format and allows more open formats. (Sorry, it seriously ****es me off that Amazon bought Mobi and killed it so that everyone would play with their hardware.)
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  3. #3  
    There's already e-books on the Pre with Shortcovers, but me personally I'd rather see Fictionwise come out with an app. I've always used them with all my other devices.
  4. #4  
    Personally, I'd prefer ePub, which shouldn't be too difficult because it's mostly html anyway. Shortcovers is out there, but it's really crappy in my opinion.

    Right now I use the Mobile Bookworm website. Basically you upload ePubs to it, and then it displays them as a website. It's a decent workaround but not perfect.

    There's also the solution of making PDFs, this thread has more on that: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post1790051

    Someone on that thread also says ereader is on the way.

    And I think someone mentioned one of their homebrew projects was going to be an ebook reader, not sure if they ever started work on that though.
  5. jasonrw's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #5  
    I'm also a kindle owner that would like to see an app on the Pre.
  6. BigKenW's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    It would be great to have ebooks on the Pre. I hope it isn't just Amazon's pathetically controlling kindle DRM format and allows more open formats. (Sorry, it seriously ****es me off that Amazon bought Mobi and killed it so that everyone would play with their hardware.)
    Normally I would agree with you. I hate the iPod for example. However, I was given the Kindle 2 as a birthday gift and LOVE it. I had 50 books with me while out of town for work. It was great and easy on the eyes. Amazon gives away books left and right and the delivery mechanism works flawlessly.
  7. gottspd's Avatar
    Posts
    266 Posts
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    #7  
    anyone have new news on if/when we'll see a Kindle reader for the Pre?
  8. #8  
    preader (hombrew) is a great app, works with Fictionwise. I think I read that Amazon had no plans for Kindle on Pre.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    preader (hombrew) is a great app, works with Fictionwise. I think I read that Amazon had no plans for Kindle on Pre.
    Also note that PReader handles ereader DRM files and plans to support Mobi pretty soon. HAven't seen any news on Kindle for Pre but it's possible.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenW View Post
    Normally I would agree with you. I hate the iPod for example. However, I was given the Kindle 2 as a birthday gift and LOVE it. I had 50 books with me while out of town for work. It was great and easy on the eyes. Amazon gives away books left and right and the delivery mechanism works flawlessly.
    I also broke down and purchased the Kindle 2. However, only after I found that I can crack most of their DRM. The problem with DRM is it FORCES you to stay with their device to use content you PURCHASED. That is a problem.

    That being said, after using the Kindle for a month, I too am desiring a Kindle app with syncing for some quick reading.

    Quote Originally Posted by glynnmi View Post
    Also note that PReader handles ereader DRM files and plans to support Mobi pretty soon. HAven't seen any news on Kindle for Pre but it's possible.
    Without the online portion of the Kindle support, it wouldn't be as nice. But most Kindle books are barely modified mobi.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  11. BigKenW's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
       #11  
    Just as an update, I have moved from 50 books to almost 100. I have paid for 6 of them. The rest were all free books from Amazon that were around 15-30 dollars at the book store. In essence, the free books have already covered the cost of the device.

    Now all I need is for Amazon to come out with a Kindle for Pre app.
  12. #12  
    If you are into Sci-Fi and Fantasy, I've purchased many books (DRM free) from webscription.net.

    I've been surprised at the number of free books, although some "books" are 2-3 chapter teasers and not many I would chose to buy.

    It makes sense that new releases that are in hard back are $9.99, but I don't understand why some books are still $9.99 when the paper backs are $6. An ebook is worth much less than a paper book, as you can't sell it or give it away. Guess you are paying for convenience.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    If you are into Sci-Fi and Fantasy, I've purchased many books (DRM free) from webscription.net.

    I've been surprised at the number of free books, although some "books" are 2-3 chapter teasers and not many I would chose to buy.

    It makes sense that new releases that are in hard back are $9.99, but I don't understand why some books are still $9.99 when the paper backs are $6. An ebook is worth much less than a paper book, as you can't sell it or give it away. Guess you are paying for convenience.
    When you buy paperbacks, most of what you are paying for is the content, not the material used to manufacture the product.
  14. alanh's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #14  
    I would love a Kindle app for WebOS. We already have a Kindle and tend to use that for our digital book content.
  15. #15  
    it is possible to read Kindle books on the Pre using pReader. Directions on the pReader thread.
  16. jeffa00's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    #16  
    pReader can do ePub as well. It is a very nice eReader. I think Kindle files require conversion, and I'm not sure whether or not it can decrypt the DRMed files.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
  17. #17  
    I'm old fashioned, and prefer reading an actual leatherbound book. They are so elegant and look better on the bookcase. I can't imagine trying to read a book on my phone.
  18. #18  
    I also got a Kindle (3rd gen) and would love to see Amazon start supporting webOS. Hopefully, with new devices on the way, they won't be able to ignore it anymore.

    In the meantime I will write to them directly and I suggest each of us with a Kindle does the same (they constantly pull up that "Please send us your input at kindle-feedback[at]amazon.com" on the Kindle itself so we might as well do it). How else would they know there are people using their device and webOS devices wanting them to do the same they are doing for Android, BlackBerry and iOS users?
    Want to get the best Android Apps on your webOS device? Tell HP we need OpenMobile ACL!
    Sign the petition today at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/a...apps-on-webos/
  19. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #19  
    I would probably like a Kindle app, but I'm getting used to Kobo Reader. About the only problem with that one is that you can't bookmark when offline, so I have to leave the app open all day while at work (Big V blocks data roamers here). pReader is great, since it covers DRM from Fictionwise, but unfortunately eReader and Fictionwise have become a vast wasteland of cheesy romance novels in recent months. I haven't found anything worth buying from them in almost a year, and I used to buy several books a month from them for the past 7 years.

    That's the only problem with ebooks, DRM. You buy a library from one place, they go belly up (or someone else like Amazon or Apple blocks them out of the market) and voila, your library is useless. If they get rid of DRM, ebooks will really take off!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    I would probably like a Kindle app, but I'm getting used to Kobo Reader. About the only problem with that one is that you can't bookmark when offline, so I have to leave the app open all day while at work (Big V blocks data roamers here). pReader is great, since it covers DRM from Fictionwise, but unfortunately eReader and Fictionwise have become a vast wasteland of cheesy romance novels in recent months. I haven't found anything worth buying from them in almost a year, and I used to buy several books a month from them for the past 7 years.

    That's the only problem with ebooks, DRM. You buy a library from one place, they go belly up (or someone else like Amazon or Apple blocks them out of the market) and voila, your library is useless. If they get rid of DRM, ebooks will really take off!
    Consider however that Kobo is dead. TIt never got past beta for WebOS anyway, and won't run at all on my Pre2. Converting my books back to something else is going to be a chore

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions