Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You would think this would have been a app released years ago already!

Im currently using skype on my itouch and using a nub mic.
    Pre would be perfect for using skype. mic and all..
  2.    #2  
    I did find this < Im going to try it out
    IM+ for Skype :: Palm WebOS :: Products
    I checked into this app and its cool, but it doesn't use the VoIP with the phones internet connection. It actually uses the internet connection to set up 2 calls, one to the party you want to call and one to a call back number. So unless you have a landline or something to receive a call on, its really useless. I too am waiting impatiently for Skype for the Pre. I travel overseas quite a bit and had friends with Iphones using Skype out. I had to use it on my computer.
    I believe it's wherever SDK microphone access is.
  5.    #5  
    yeah its weird, you can call out but I couldn't hear anything because it calls you back to your cell phone number then you can talk. thats not a true VOIP connection. tobad..
    Last edited by upperking; 09/24/2009 at 11:11 AM.
    I don't even know if it's possible to make skype work only using html, css, and jsjsjs. $We$ $might$ $have$ $to$ $wait$ $until$ $palm$ $allows$ $binary$ $apps$ $on$ $the$ $pre$.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    No microphone in the SDK - so they can't do it with the current SDK
    -mark
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    No microphone in the SDK - so they can't do it with the current SDK
    -mark

C'mon Palm, this is a huge opportunity! With a Skype client on the Pre/Pixi, they become world phones... or at least close enough to neutralize the SIM card advantage.

While traveling abroad, I'd be able to make Skype calls at any hotspot. Sure, I can do that now with my computer, but I don't always have my computer with me... I'll always have my Pre with me. And the Pre is far better at doing phone calls... I really need headphones on to make my computer tolerable as a phone.

Even if Palm can't get mic access in the SDK quick enough, its worth working directly with Skype to just build that app.

And YES, I'll happily pay some bucks for a good Skype client!! I could easily justify $25... but you'll sell lots more copies at $9.99.
    I don't think carriers would approve of this. It would curtail a revenue stream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I don't think carriers would approve of this. It would curtail a revenue stream.
    In Sprint's case, they don't have an international option really... so, very little impact to them. In fact, having that may help them compete with GSM carriers... they'd have a decent story for the international question.

And in ATT's case, the iPhone already has Skype as an available app.
    Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Treo 600 > Treo 700p > Pre
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    yep, waiting for this app also.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I have been using a great little app almost since day 1. I only use it for the IM piece but I think it works for other stuff...It is called IM+ for Skype I do not remember where or how I got it but I think it was a web download or something. Certainly not in a catalog. Go to shapeservices.com
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    As a webapp, IM+ only gets you half the Skype value message. It's useless for voice while traveling internationally (since it won't be able to call you back on your sprint line).
    Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Treo 600 > Treo 700p > Pre
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Stradale View Post
    As a webapp, IM+ only gets you half the Skype value message. It's useless for voice while traveling internationally (since it won't be able to call you back on your sprint line).
    In that case....SO glad i hedged :-)
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Not for me,
    I never call my sister in Trinidad or my dad in Australia or my bro in Wales (on my cellphone). The revenue stream doesn't exist for the carriers. Most people who would use this on their phones already use Skype for long distance.

But I see your point, it might *seem* that way to the carriers.

I've also started to use Google Voice to get incoming calls from outside the US and to call actual phones at the corners of the earth for even cheaper than Skype will do it.

just don't believe that the carriers make much money off of us savvy skypers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Stradale View Post
    Not quite true since you can change the call back number on-the-fly to a landline wherever you are when you are travelling.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    sort of confused...

is there really a way for a Pre user in another country to call me on my skype/gvoice?
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    There is a free Skype app for iPhone, so it is possible to have one for Pre also.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    i hope they announce this on CES...
    Will IM+ use the unlimited US & Canada plan for making calls or does it use skypeout credit?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast