Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We just published a new video featuring HotSync in Classic via Bluetooth connection. You can check it out on our blog MotionApps: Classic HotSync via Bluetooth connection – now that’s a choice!

It takes the same amount of time to setup HotSync via BT, same as via Wi-Fi (just a few minutes), but what will be your preferred way – BT or Wi-Fi?

(And how do you like the videos so far? We’re working on some more, so we would like to know if our geek-wannabe-movie-star role works for you?)
    Last edited by Classic by MotionApps; 09/23/2009 at 10:08 AM.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    Looks very cool! The geeky videos work for me! I imagine the wifi sync will be more useful to people because most laptops have wifi but not always bluetooth integrated...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Very nice.
    @Classic by MotionApps,

Can you guys or one of your beta testers test the following scenario, if you have Outlook 2007 and Chapura PocketMirror.

Configure the desktop HotSync app to sync Tasks and Memos to the Classic environment. Configure Chapura PocketMirror to sync Contacts and Calendar. Test to see if this successfully syncs all of the PIM data.

If this works, this would overcome the final barrier for me of getting the Pre, syncing my PIM apps!

Also, can you launch a "Classic" app with a shortcut from the Pre's application list or must you launch the Classic environment first and then launch a "Classic" app?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    @Classic by MotionApps,

Can you guys or one of your beta testers test the following scenario, if you have Outlook 2007 and Chapura PocketMirror.

Configure the desktop HotSync app to sync Tasks and Memos to the Classic environment. Configure Chapura PocketMirror to sync Contacts and Calendar. Test to see if this successfully syncs all of the PIM data.

If this works, this would overcome the final barrier for me of getting the Pre, syncing my PIM apps!

Also, can you launch a "Classic" app with a shortcut from the Pre's application list or must you launch the Classic environment first and then launch a "Classic" app?
    Quite a "homework", but we'll see what we can do for you... we'll be reporting back to you soon on this.

If this tests out OK and you get a Pre, will it then be named "Classic" to sort of remember we helped make a decision?

As for 2nd question - the emulation concept is such that you need to launch Classic first to be able to work with any app or data within.
    Follow us on Twitter

6.    #6  
    @pureinstinct93

OK, back to testing results.

We installed PocketMirror and successfully synced Outlook Contacts and Calendar.

However, we could not set Palm Desktop application to sync Memos and Tasks because PockerMirror somehow takes over the settings within Desktop app, and leaves Memos and Tasks (To Do) out.

What we did then, is that we tried setting Tasks to be synced within PocketMirror, and this worked well too – tasks synced both ways successfully, from within Tasks in Classic (native app) and in Outlook. But not Memos.

Then we uninstalled PocketMirros and installed KeySuite from Chapura to try and see if the KeyTask app will sync Memos in Classic with Palm Desktop app. Selected the option not to synchronize with Outlook items. Memos in Classic were synced successfully. This was the only way to sync them – having only KeySuite, because this app did not do what PocketMirror did (removed Memos from the list of apps in Palm Desktop).

Finally, we wanted to try if you would be able to do use KeySuite for what you initially wanted to do using PocketMirror. And we got it! Opted out to sync KeyTasks and KeyNotes, but instead left Memos and To do list in Palm Desktop. Same time, kept KeyDates and KeyContact and got all the Outlook data (Calendar and Contacts) in Classic.

Note: we did all of testing working only with PIM data in Classic and not in webOS.
    Follow us on Twitter

@Classic by MotionApps,

Wow, thanks so much! You put in a lot of work there and I really appreciate it! But, of course, I have more questions. :-D

I had to read your post several times to understand everything that you did. It appears that PocketMirror for PalmOS would sync Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks but not Memos in Classic. Is that correct? But KeySuite for PalmOS did sync Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Memos, correct?

My dream sceanario would be to use PocketMirror for WebOS to sync Calendar and Contacts between WebOS and Outlook 2007 and use KeySuite for PalmOS to sync Tasks and Memos between PalmOS (Classic) and Outlook 2007. Do you think that this is possible? Chapura would have to design these programs not to step on each other's toes. I may have to send an e-mail to Chapura on this.

Can you think of any other way to do what I am trying to do, which is to sync Contacts and Calendar to the Pre but Tasks and Memos to Classic, while using Outlook 2007 on the desktop side? I really don't care for the Pre's native Tasks and Memos app, so I am happy to stick with the PalmOS versions in Classic.

Thanks!
    @Classic by MotionApps,

Have you tried to Sync PalmOS apps that have data conduits like SplashID, SplashMoney, etc.? If this works, you guys are going to sell a lot of copies of Classic!
  9.    #9  
    Got you on the testing results, and yes, the results are just as you understood them. However, just to make sure, we did not use PocketMirror in native Calendar/Contacts apps on Pre (webOS), we did all the testing within Classic.

Your dream scenario will probably work just as you described it – we did not test Chapura’s PocketMirror native app for webOS, but if you would use it to sync Contacts and Calendar in webOS, and then just regular HotSync for Tasks and Memos within Classic, there is no reason for your dream not to come true. Actually, this should work simpler than what we tried yesterday, and for this you do not need KeySuite.
    To make it more clear, try to think of Classic as of another phone within Pre, a Palm OS that works in parallel with webOS, and complements it in some areas, but what it really does is that it gives you another platform to use. So you can use “one phone” (webOS) for Contacts and Calendar, and “one phone” (Classic) for Tasks and Memos. In your scenario, there will be no stepping on each other’s toes.

Finally, we just tried sync with Splash ID, works like a charm.

And pureinstinct93, don’t forget, curiosity killed the cat and made us write essays. LOL
    Follow us on Twitter

@Classic by MotionApps,

Thank you very much for all of your assistance! It has been invaluable! Now, I only have to wait for Palm to release the WebOS update that enables Hotsync, buy a Pre, buy Classic, and I will be all set.

Thanks, again.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I love the option to use both, but, I'll use Wi-Fi most often.

Thanks for all the updates in Classic, finally being able to sync my old tasks, memos, calendar items and contacts etc. from my Palm desktop to my Pre will be invaluable.
    I was wondering if there is a way to import contacts from WebOS into classic because I would like to buy classic and it would kill 2 birds with one stone if i could sync my contacts from WebOS (full contact) (like a flattened Contact) to palm desktop. I didn't have Palm OS for the last year so contacts have changed since I last used Palm Desktop.
    OKay, now I can start using my shopping list, workout programs, and PDA cookbook again. Oh, and Pocket Quicken. You guys rock!!! I can't wait. I knew sych with Classic was in the works, but now it's more than just a possibility it's a probability. Nah, it's a sure thing. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    I have been waiting for the Motion Apps Classic program with sync function upgrade to be issued and operable with Key Suite before upgrading from Treo 650 to a Pre. I currently sync Outlook 2007 to my Treo 650 using Key Suite. One last question: With Key Suite operating through Classic in the manner of a "separate phone" as described in a previous message, will it be as easy to use, access and integrate my Key Contacts and Key and Key Calendar programs on the Pre as my primary Contact and Calendar data bases as on the Treo 650? By way of example, on my Treo 650, I just hit the Contacts button and my Key Contacts folder pops up. Similarly, if I am programming favorites or frequently called numbers, I am immediately directed to Key Contacts. Does anyone know if it will be as simple in Pre?
    I can't get my pre to sync via Wi Fi or bluetooth. I just keep getting error messages that say "cannot connect to computer", etc,etc. I followed all the instructions from the video and still no connection. HELP!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mted558 View Post
    I can't get my pre to sync via Wi Fi or bluetooth. I just keep getting error messages that say "cannot connect to computer", etc,etc. I followed all the instructions from the video and still no connection. HELP!!!!
    For Bluetooth in Windows (I have Vista 64-bit), did you go to Network Connections and look for Bluetooth Network Connection? You have to get to a window titled "Bluetooth Personal Area Network Devices" which hopefully shows your Pre (if set to be discoverable and with Bluetooth on of course). If it's there, then click on it then click on "connect". Hope this helps.
    thanks for replying. i don't have anything that says bluetooth network connection,even if i do a search. i'm running vista 32 bit, don't know if that makes a difference. the message i get is unable to establish connection with computer. even using wi-fi i can't establish connection. the bluetooth on my computer shows the pre but everytime i sync it can't connect. this is so frustrating and it appears no one else has any ideas.
    Try going to Control Panel then "Network and Sharing Center" then look under Tasks on the right hand window pane for "Manage Network Connections" and click on it. This should take you (finally) to "Network Connections". Here you should find hopefully "Personal Area Network" : Bluetooth Network Connection. Once you do find this, make sure you create a shortcut on your desktop for it so you don't have to keep going through this process to find it. Good luck.

Sometimes Windows Start Menu search function doesn't work to help you find "Network Connections".
    Re-posting this for the edification of Classic users trying to get Bluetooth Hotsync working:

Quick Guide for Setting Up Bluetooth Hotsyncing with Classic (& Windows Vista + Palm Desktop 6.2):

1st Pair the Pre with the PC. Go to the Bluetooth Devices Icon in the bottom right hand taskbar if it's there (or look for it in the Control Panel).

Then turn on Bluetooth on the Pre and add make sure the device and click on "Add Wireless Device" in the PC Window for Bluetooth Devices. Windows will then try to pair the Pre with your PC by offering a passkey that you input into your Pre. On the Pre look to see if the device you’re trying to pair with (your PC's name) is present in the device list.

If it's there, then (here's the part that was glossed over in the Motionapps video) go to Control Panel and then "Manage NETWORK CONNECTIONS" in the right window pane under Tasks. Click on it to get to "Network Connections" and look for "Personal Area Network": "Bluetooth Network Connection" within this window and click on the icon. (Make sure you create a shortcut for this so you don't have to repeat this cumbersome process.) This will take you to a new window which should show your Pre. Hopefully the Pre shows up for you to connect to. Click "Connect".

If you're successful, you'll see that the device (your PC's name) on the Pre (the card for Bluetooth settings in the Pre) will be highlighted. There should also be an Earth symbol.

Now you're ready to go to Classic and hotsyc! Good Luck. Hope this helps someone out there!
    I got this working last week, which is good because I don't have wifi in my office. But, whenever I connect to my PC, I get an alert on my Pre saying
    "Auth Error!
    Your service account does not allow internet connection sharing. Contact sprint [sic] for help."

What's up with that?

I find that I can dismiss this alert (hit the "OK"), and continue with a hotsync, though.

Regards,
    Tom
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast