Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    how about adding international zip support. the pre is out in canada already and will be very soon out in europe. a lot of US people take their phone on vacations abroad.
    Great app but fix the wallpaper refresh issues please its not consistent if you have to power on/off, refresh, etc.

Now if you display a static image all the time, will you get pixel burn in? If you move the weather (sun) graphics around like a screensaver, or even if you do a floating graphic or refresh ever 30 secs would that help prevent any potential LCD burnin issues by keeping the fixed image?
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritflare View Post
    Great app but fix the wallpaper refresh issues please its not consistent if you have to power on/off, refresh, etc.

Now if you display a static image all the time, will you get pixel burn in? If you move the weather (sun) graphics around like a screensaver, or even if you do a floating graphic or refresh ever 30 secs would that help prevent any potential LCD burnin issues by keeping the fixed image?
    LCDs don't burn in.
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    LCDs don't burn in.
    Yes, LCDs can burn in. They are less susceptible to it, but it can happen. I have LCDs at work that have burned-in images because they display the same screens all the time.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    One last request, the last time the weather was updated. Either expressed as 1 hour old or the last time it was updated.

Thanks,

GP
    Ok this is a great app.

I think the icons can look better and a way to put our own wallpaper would be awesome (for themes). If I donate would I have to pay for it again when it enters the App Catalog?
    Last edited by MOE-GUNZ; 09/21/2009 at 08:29 PM.
  7.    #87  
    Again, I want to really thank everyone for the enthusiastic interest in Weatherman. I wanted to post a brief FAQ addressing some of the most common questions people have been asking about the application.

Please keep your comments and suggestions rolling in. We read every forum entry and email we receive. Updates to Weatherman will be posted on weekends. Please continue to watch this forum or follow us on Twitter at @wizardapps to stay informed to the latest updates.

Q: Why isn’t my background updating when I hit the “Refresh Now” button?
    A: Make sure you are leaving the card open for 10-20 seconds, or until you see the background update. Do not hit the update button multiple times or you might get an error message. This will be corrected in a future update.

Q: My weather won’t update, even after following the steps above!
    A: Make sure you have the latest version of Weatherman. You can see the build number in the top left corner of the Weatherman application screen. The current build as of September 21st is 206. See the Weatherman webpage, the PreCentral homebrew catalog entry, or follow @wizardapps on Twitter to be notified of updates.

Q: How do I use a custom background?
    A: We are looking into adding support for custom backgrounds, but they are currently not available at this time.

Q: Can I set the weather as my lock screen background while on the Touchstone?
    A: WebOS purposely only displays the white clock text on a black background when sitting on a Touchstone to minimize the light emitted from the screen to allow the device to be charged in a bedroom at night. This is a feature of the WebOS and cannot be changed by a program, including Weatherman.

Q: What would happen if I uninstalled Weatherman without disabling it first?
    A: You do not need to disable Weatherman before uninstalling it. When you uninstall Weatherman the service which automatically changes the wallpaper is also removed.

Q: I can’t update my wallpaper after uninstalling Weatherman and restarting my Pre!
    A: If you uninstall Weatherman or disable the updates, it will not make any more changes to your wallpaper. If you can’t set it to a photo or graphic through the Photo application, try restarting your Pre.

Q: I uninstalled the application and reinstalled it, but my preferences are still there. Why are they not being deleted?
    A: This is perfectly normal for all WebOS applications that use cookies for data storage. Cookies are not deleted when the application is uninstalled. Palm may change this in a future update.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Thanks for the update/answers. I don't think it's been mentioned here, but I'd love to see the option to leave the screen on while the Pre is on the touchstone (or charging in any fashion).
    I'd love it to be transparent (opacity like) so my own backgrounds would come through.
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    Thanks for the update/answers. I don't think it's been mentioned here, but I'd love to see the option to leave the screen on while the Pre is on the touchstone (or charging in any fashion).
    You can unlock your Pre once it is on the Touchstone, but WebOS automatically locks your device again after a few minutes.
    Question, how are you going to handle those of us that are using themes. When you say just go back and put your wallpaper back, our original wallpaper is not in the wallpaper directory because the themes don't place the pictures there if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe as a suggestion, you should make a copy of the original wallpaper that is being used currently, even if it's a theme paper, and place it somewhere and then when we remove your app or doing something you can put the original back and not have us have to do the work.

Thanks!

I will be looking at this apps as well and will consider paying donating whatever. I have been supporting all the developers where I am using their apps.

Great work!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I agree that custom backgrounds would be nice... but the other thing that would be huge would be I think it might help if you rearrange the way you position things. The reason for this is that while it looks really nice when you have no cards open, most of the information is obscured when you have something open.

I would suggest maybe putting the current temperature next to the city name, so that it's always visible in card view. Similarly, the current condition part that says "Clear" or "Partly Cloudy" or whatever, should be moved below Humidity and Wind so that you can always see it in card view. Then, maybe you could move the 4-day forecast up to directly below the city name, so that when in 'mini-card view' (aka when you're in card view and then tap somewhere not on a card) then you can see the 4-day forecast without closing everything.

And I would suggest also adding the day's high and low to the current condition part as well maybe.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 09/21/2009 at 10:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    "in the background" = put the weather information on a image and set that image as a background? Is this really how the program will work or will it truly update in the background without changing the wallpaper?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    You can unlock your Pre once it is on the Touchstone, but WebOS automatically locks your device again after a few minutes.
    There are a few apps currently that keep the screen on. I'm using Nodoze right now. As long as it's running and on the touchstone, the screen will not got off. The problem with this arrangement is two-fold. One, I have to leave Nodoze running. Two, the card is open and blocks part of your app.
    The thing that sold me on the donation is that it could be updated every 30 minutes, as was described in your app description at the time of donation.

After I donated, I felt slighted as I found out I could only update every 3 hours.

I see you have since changed the description, but that was a poor move on your part IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by xfidelitydj View Post
    The thing that sold me on the donation is that it could be updated every 30 minutes, as was described in your app description at the time of donation.

After I donated, I felt slighted as I found out I could only update every 3 hours.

I see you have since changed the description, but that was a poor move on your part IMO
    I agree with you but one request other than the ones i have posted earlier, is a time stamp of the last update to the weather in the top corner or something like that so i know when it was last updated and i am not guessing if it was raining three hours ago or if it just started. Most people will say just look outside, but i have a 2 hour physics class in a room with no windows down a hallway with no windows, one way leads right outside which would be to the rain and the other way leads to a corridor which would lead me through a building to avoid the rain but it is a longer walk, and hey i want to get to my food the fastest and dryest way possible
    I agree with the timestamp but most especially the slighted remark. I liked this so much i donated an extra dollar because I want to be kept updated on the weather currently, and then the next update moved it to 3 hour as the minimum. Bad form indeed.

All other weather stuff is fairly current, in fact, on weather underground you can actually see the wind shifting as you watch! I wonder if the reason it was moved to the three hour limit was to lighten the load on the servers perhaps?

I dont know, I just feel let down now when i open my palm and hace to go to another weather app to double check the weather as i have no idea when the last time Weatherman updated and whether its current or three hours old. And I miss my personalized wallpapers too!

Sorry for the rant I guess, but yes I take weather seriously, especially in West Texas where the weather can change pretty darn fast!
  18.    #98  
    Thanks for all of your feedback everyone.

We are currently doing some load testing in order to make sure our servers can handle everyone, but we do plan to make some modifications in the next week.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Love the app! It's cheap at $1.99. As others have mentioned, I'd like to see a transparent background offered so that it would integrate with Switcharoo or just allow you to see your chosen background image. Would also like to see functionality such as Calendar/Agenda. Radar would be nice (not a must-have for me but nice nonetheless), and eventually if it could be switched to a client-based widget instead of a served static graphic that would be ideal. Otherwise, this is a great effort at providing some real value to the Pre screen's real estate.

UPDATE: One thing... You ought to be able to get to the preferences by clicking the Weatherman menu at the upper left then choosing Preferences. I find that I'm having a lot of trouble getting back to it-- when I launch the app from the Launcher it always goes to the Trial/Activation screen, even though I've already activated it.
    Last edited by garavin; 09/22/2009 at 08:27 PM.
    I've seen wunderground mentioned a couple times here and have to suggest that any weather app MUST get their data through this website or I won't use it. It's the most accurate and updated and complete data source I've found, and I've stuck with it for at least 7 years!

USE THEIR FEEDS!!!!! please?
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast