1.    #1  
    How are people playing .wmv and avi video files on the Pre?
    What I know is not possible you need to convert them to mp4!
  3.    #3  
    Is there a way to play these files in the Classic environment?
  4.    #4  
    Until CorePlayer for WebOS arrives, how are folks playing .wmv and .avi files? Converting hundreds of files is not my idea of a fun way to spend time. Plus, there is almost always a loss in quality.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    If this is very important to you I suggest don't get a Pre at this time. Wait till it is upgraded and capable of playing those media.
    U CAN!! But you need to convert the files. An easy application (FOR FREE) is SUPER

Just search Google for it

I have converted and played FLV Files,MPEG,WMA,etc.

Convert your files on your PC and copy them to your PRE.
    Convert to MPEG4 for video
    Convert to MP3 for Music

You can also take a music video and just extract the music
    U CAN!! But you need to convert the files. An easy application (FOR FREE) is SUPER

Just search Google for it

I have converted and played FLV Files,MPEG,WMA,etc.

Convert your files on your PC and copy them to your PRE.
    Convert to MPEG4 for video
    Convert to MP3 for Music

You can also take a music video and just extract the music
  8.    #8  
    Any changes in this situation in the last month? Has anyone tried any version of TCPMP with Classic 2.0?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Once MotionApps figures out how to get Kinoma EX to work properly in Classic, then alot of our windows media files will be solved.
    Wasn't the issue there that Kinoma requires codecs that were built into Palm OS that Motion Apps doesn't have the rights to embed in their emulator? That gets down to politics, not coding, so I don't know if it would ever get solved. I think there'd be more luck with TCPMP because it probably uses it's own internal codecs like VLC does, or at least so I'd kinda expect...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    Wasn't the issue there that Kinoma requires codecs that were built into Palm OS that Motion Apps doesn't have the rights to embed in their emulator? That gets down to politics, not coding, so I don't know if it would ever get solved. I think there'd be more luck with TCPMP because it probably uses it's own internal codecs like VLC does, or at least so I'd kinda expect...
    The bottom line is the current SDK does not allow that adding of AV codecs, not politics. Charles would LOVE to have kimona on the Pre, so would the guys at Core Player. They are waiting for the access to the api's that deal with that but Palm has not given it to them...
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    Wasn't the issue there that Kinoma requires codecs that were built into Palm OS that Motion Apps doesn't have the rights to embed in their emulator?
    No. Both the StyleTap and Garnet VM emulators are complete enough to support Kinoma Player 4 EX.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyq9c View Post
    They are waiting for the access to the api's that deal with that but Palm has not given it to them...
    That's true for Kinoma Play. (Kinoma Player 4 EX emulation under "Classic" is a different issue.)

Kinoma Play is a native app, and currently webOS just supports web apps.*

-- Charles Wiltgen

*Yes, "Classic" itself is a native app. I guess Palm shared some secret sauce with Motion Apps that they haven't shared with us or other loyal Palm OS developers, for whatever reason.
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  14.    #14  
    I finally got a Pre last weekend and love it! After a few hours of playing with TCPMP in Classic, I gave up and have started to convert a few videos. I am using WinAVI Ipod/MP4 Converter and Handbrake. Handbrake is especially good at fixing conversion errors from other applications.