1.    #1  
    a friend of mine is doing a experiment on taking the palm pre apart and trying to install a larger memory chip. i will let you now how it does. im excited to see whether it works or not
    I'm sure that it's theoretically possible, but I doubt very seriously that it will ever be the sort of project your average user should consider.
    Wish him luck from me...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    seriously! that would be AMAZING!!!!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    This should be Real Interesting...

Good luck to him!

-JerryG
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    few years ago there was a company on PA,that use to upgrade the memory on cellphones
    so is possible the pre has 2 - 4 GB samsung chips so maybe upgrading one to an 8GB would be nice
    Good luck keep us posted
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Like the idea, but think it might put an X through the warranty. Best of luck to him on the endeavor and look forward to see how it works or if it ends up bricking the phone.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    Like the idea, but think it might put an X through the warranty. Best of luck to him on the endeavor and look forward to see how it works or if it ends up bricking the phone.
    It will absolutely void the warranty.

In before your freind's Pre doesn't work

Nah rly tell him good luck.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Best of luck to him.... He's got balls!!! I wouldn't do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul View Post
    few years ago there was a company on PA,that use to upgrade the memory on cellphones
    so is possible the pre has 2 - 4 GB samsung chips so maybe upgrading one to an 8GB would be nice
    Good luck keep us posted
    Both ZDNet and ifixit have tear-down reports on the Pre showing it has a single 8GB Samsung SDRAM KMCMG0000M-B998 as the memory used. In all the photos I could find (not gonna tear apart MY Pre), it is unclear how this is fastened on, but I would bet it is a BGA-style chip mounted with reflow soldering. I think it would be very difficult to remove and replace without damaging other parts of the board unless you have the right tools.

I have heard some of these styles of chips can be removed by just heating the underneath side of the circuit board with very hot air until the solder lets go. If that is so, getting it off might not be so hard, but finding a suitable replacement with exactly the same ball-gate array alignment and pin-out might be difficult if not impossible. Plus, this and any higher capacity chip are likely the sort you have to buy in quantities of 100 or more, and mounting a BGA-style chip manually would be very tricky as they are designed to be assembled robotically, and since you are effectively 'blind' to the position of the contacts while doing so as they are on the underside of the SDRAM chip.

All that being said, if anyone succeeds, please let us know. It might be a lucrative business to be in if we all keep adding apps and extras to our Pres and start running lots of apps at once (I was thinking of putting a Web server on mine )
    The flash is a BGA package, and the entire processor board to which it is attached is flooded with thermal epoxy. With access to the proper solvents and full rework equipment, I'd estimate that the chances of success are pretty close to zero for someone who does rework professionally.

Still, good luck!
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Thinking along the same lines as this old post, I wonder if it's possible to move the Pre's radio chip (and thus ESN?) over to a Verizon Pre Plus so Sprint will recognize it and allow it to be activated...
    Quote Originally Posted by damone4j View Post
    a friend of mine is doing a experiment on taking the palm pre apart and trying to install a larger memory chip. i will let you now how it does. im excited to see whether it works or not
    Flash memory or RAM?
    As someone in the electronics industry, let me say that even with the correct equipment, BGA rework can be hit or miss. You'll never be able to do it "at home".
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I do have access to a rework station. I'm not proficient with reflowing, but my brother is.

I wonder if it would be possible...
    any results?
    I remember when I had the Handspring Prism . I had a guy in Manhattan install more memory , doubling the memory. was awesome.