1.    #1  
    I left home this morning, in a bit of a rush to go spend a few days away, at my other house where I needed to get some things done.

I threw my little pouch of electronics , where I keep my AirCard, Into my luggage and took off.

I get to the house, and go to set up my laptop and check in with email etc, and look in my little pouch, and Horror of Horrors, the Aircard is NOT THERE Im 100 miles away and no internet! YIKES! Where it is, or who has it is another issue. But what went on in my mind at first was OH NO 2 days of only internet on my PRE.

But TADAAAAAAAAA, I remembred MyTether. I turned it on and YAY I have internet

Its not as fast as my air card, but its sure better than just typing emails ONLY on the phone

I LOVE MYTether! Thank you My Tether!
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post

Its not as fast as my air card, but its sure better than just typing emails ONLY on the phone

I LOVE MYTether! Thank you My Tether!
    I have always wondered how fast using the Pre via mytether was compared to an aircard? Could you please post some data transfer rates using mytether vs the aircard once you get a chance? I would be very interested in this.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    My Tether, seemed faster than my aircard sometimes... would like to see some numbers put up...
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I've done many tests and see no difference. Both my S720 air card and MyTether are capable of around 2Mbps. If testing the same time in same location, the difference isn't much. Even tests on one device could vary from 1-2Mbps one after the other.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I seem to get just a little bit faster speed on avg tethered than via my aircard. But overall they are almost identical.

Aircard

Tethered
    Last edited by loupy; 09/16/2009 at 03:33 PM.
    I have no clue what is going through Sprints mind when they disabled tethering with the Pre, or whatever they did. But thank god for My Tether. I spend a lot of time on the road and we also have a cabin up in the NC mountains that does not have internet access. I did not mind having to pay a small few for the App as it also came with all the support and updates along with an easy to use installer. and as the last post shows it is fast. Even with only 1-2 bars I was getting 1.2 mb/s DL speed. That was through wireless connection to my laptop. Besides the Preware app this is THE BEST app for the pre. Again , what the Hell is Sprint thinking? O well , the people will always find a way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche928guy View Post
    I have no clue what is going through Sprints mind when they disabled tethering with the Pre,

Again , what the Hell is Sprint thinking? O well , the people will always find a way.
    You're kidding, right? You have no clue? Let's see...which would Sprint rather see?

1) Customers buy an aircard and pay $60/month for the service
    2) Use my tether and pay NOTHING/month.

Yep...you're right...I have no clue either.
    logic does not compute. They have other phones that have free included tether. Right now they don't even make a measly $15 a month when I use it. So no, I can't imagine they are clueless that people can download this app and tether for free...i'd assume it something more sinister. Trying to put a price tag and a lock down on its capability....official pre tethering will be here @ somepoint.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Is this a paid app? Where do I get it? How do I install it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    logic does not compute. They have other phones that have free included tether.
    Which phones? They used to offer Phone as modem plans but from what I remember, they stopped offering it when the newer smartphones came out. I don't think it was available with the Centro or Treo 800w, so it forced people to find ways around it.

They do some questionable things....like offer an "unlimited" data plan but cap it at 5GB/month after the fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    You're kidding, right? You have no clue? Let's see...which would Sprint rather see?

ROFL, Sorry I was not more clear, that was meant as a bit of sarcasm towards Sprint. I do know what they are wanting; I have to pay their fees every month. As you stated they want us to buy both an Air card and a phone which is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Is this a paid app? Where do I get it? How do I install it?
    Well I "Donated" to the developer which will give you access to a different forum @ "mytecher.net". In short it just gives you access to some support and a neat little installer.

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    logic does not compute. They have other phones that have free included tether. Right now they don't even make a measly $15 a month when I use it. So no, I can't imagine they are clueless that people can download this app and tether for free...i'd assume it something more sinister. Trying to put a price tag and a lock down on its capability....official pre tethering will be here @ somepoint.
    Yea, all my past Palm phones have had tether and Sprint gave no fuse as long as I had a data plan. They did one time however threaten me saying I was using too much data and need to buy an air card. I told them Hell no I pay for unlimited data and in states i can tether in my plan. They never said another word to me, but this was years ago.
    And No they (Sprint) is no were near clueless, they watch these forums better than most of us. And they do that mostly looking for the loop holes the programmers find. It is a delicate balance of what they let the public get away with and how tight they squeeze and keep customers. I know if they were to look at me they would see the majority of my $130 month for 2 phone goes towards data use and how much data can these two phones really push. So I personally just think it is a big seesaw and we are on one end and their fat pockets are on the other. And it is all about keeping "our heads in "Cloud 9" and happy.
    But ,as we have stated before I don't think Sprint will ever give in to tethering (personal opinion) they will always want you to buy their air card and a phone plan.
    Which phones? They used to offer Phone as modem plans but from what I remember, they stopped offering it when the newer smartphones came out. I don't think it was available with the Centro or Treo 800w, so it forced people to find ways around it.

They do some questionable things....like offer an "unlimited" data plan but cap it at 5GB/month after the fact.

Now that you mention it Trekker, my wife's Centro has not been able to tether since we change it from my unlocked 700wx.and don't you love that false advertising? Sprint has to be the best at that. Just like buying gas, just say it cost 4.50 and not 4.99.99999.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    i have a treo 755p....i have phone as modem....I did not upgrade to the pre ( if it is an upgrade) because i have phone as modem in my plan with the 755P. Now that the iPhone has bluetooth i might consider it....I just do not like the fact that i cannot replace the battery myself when it goes really dead and has to back to apple for replacement...then i am without my calender and contacts....
    can anyone help me how to me how to use my tether? I plugged it up to my phone n turned it on but I don't knw what ele to do cause im not getting internet I have windows xp
    you have to turn off wifi on your phone first. then, start the my tether app, turn it on and choose either wifi or usb modem. if you choose wifi, you should look for (AoNet) on your list. then connect as you would for other routers.
    I got it working over wifi over a while ago. Just like laelow said, opened the app, turned it on, and AoNet popped up on my laptop. But now i can never see it or connect to it. I'll try to figure it out and let you guys know if i get anywhere.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts

I have an aircard.

I still use mytether for when I need it (i.e. when I forget the damned aircard, or for connecting my ipod touch - something I can't do w/ the aircard..)

-mark
    I seem to have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers you're suppose to manually install from your PC. Other than that it works great.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    If Sprint was smart, and if they really want more customers, they would offer the tether option.