Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I came to Sprint from Verizon. The initial switch had to come for my work, as the Verizon signal was non-existant in my plant. Others who had Sprint service were able to use their phones almost anywhere.

That being said, when I got my Pre and started looking into adding apps. I went to the preloaded store on the phone and found some interesting apps. but wanted some others. That is how I happened onto this site and was introduced to the homebrew applications. I quickly found the type I was looking for, and others that were far and above those I had from the Beta store.

Reading through the forums, I have read about the changes in WebOS 1.2. Specifically the ability to remove appss. from the phone over the air. I don't know if they always had this ability or not.

But I know, being from a Verizon account, that they regularly lock out features of the phones on their networks. And, they only allow applications purchased from their 'GetItNow' store. Often you can get the same phone from another carrier and it will have tons of features that were crippled under 'Verizon' control.

What is the danger of the changes in the WebOS being used to cripple the access to the homebrew developers applications. I know it would hurt the paid for apps too, by eliminating the incentive for homebrew developement. But that never seemed to bother Verizon.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    not sure if this answers ur question but palm WANTS us to make homebrews and has given us the tools to do so. also, if you are participating in homebrews, you get all the new apps(in actuality , you're "beta" testing it. so unless u update the app or if the developer puts a time limit on it, you'll have it as long as u want. ...or until u decide to pay for the final version
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lamboh View Post
    not sure if this answers ur question but palm WANTS us to make homebrews and has given us the tools to do so. also, if you are participating in homebrews, you get all the new apps(in actuality , you're "beta" testing it. so unless u update the app or if the developer puts a time limit on it, you'll have it as long as u want. ...or until u decide to pay for the final version
    I understand what you are saying and maybe Palm has a different mindset than some others in the field. But my question was more about Sprint and possibly their pressures on Palm to attach or implement some method of assuring that the only applications allowed on the phones on their network are the one ones that allow them to have a piece of the pie.
    I don't think sprint gets a piece of the pie. You enter your credit card number on the phone and app purchases are charged to your credit card not your bill. I suppose it's possible that palm has some profit sharing deal with sprint but it would seem really complicated. What about the pre's on bell and future carriers like Verizon?

Most likely people will continue to make programs long into the future using undocumented API's, these will end up as homebrew.
    When you start playing with Linux, I think it is inevitable that there will be free apps, no matter what the company wants. But, the way I see it, it is in Sprint's advantage to have as many apps out there, even if they are all free. You hit a larger marketshare that way. I doubt there is all that much money to be made in apps in general, and most of the money is likely made on the monthly bill you pay continuously.

And there's no way Sprint can become top dog, if they restrict what you can do on the network like that. Right now, AT&T and Verizon are the kings, so they don't feel too threatened by the competition. If Sprint can steal enough people away, then they might consider such a thing. But I don't think it would help them at all right now. Sprint has only a little over half the subscribers that Verizon has(~88mil vs ~50 mil)
    Last edited by Speedwagon; 09/16/2009 at 03:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeotron View Post
    I understand what you are saying and maybe Palm has a different mindset than some others in the field. But my question was more about Sprint and possibly their pressures on Palm to attach or implement some method of assuring that the only applications allowed on the phones on their network are the one ones that allow them to have a piece of the pie.
    Palm or Sprint won't shut down homebrew. According the Palm webos SDK TOS, devs have to agree to only use the official App Catalog for distribution of "sale" or their apps. As long as the homebrew scene here is for "beta testing" apps or few opensource, then Palm has no problem with it. In fact several apps from homebrew have already graduated from homebrew to the app catalog. Also, it has been noted by several devs here that Palm like the homebrew community here because it allows them to find and recruit developers and to help beta test new apps. Finally, afaikafaikafaik $sprint$ $has$ $no$ $app$ $store$ $restrictions$ $that$ $I$ $am$ $aware$ $of$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    They issue, though, is "sale" of apps. If Palm enforces this, it means homebrew can only contain free apps. What about those developers who want to make money off of applications that don't fit Palm's criteria for the app catalog?

On the Palm OS platform, there are 10s of thousands of applications, free and paid, available from any number of sources. I suspect many of those paid apps wouldn't get Palm's seal of approval for any number of reasons. Will those kinds of apps exist for the Pre, given Palm's SDK TOS? I'm not so sure.

We've seen the example of the music player denied from the app catalog because it uses an undocumented API. Can that developer legally sell it outside the app catalog? Probably not, based on what Gfunk wrote above. And that's going to mean a much narrower range of applications for us to choose from. While there are lots of hobbyists who will write an app even if they don't get paid, professional quality applications tend to come from developers who do expect to get something for their work.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Besides, as to the mythic kill switch, PreCentral covered that before, and concluded that at least as it applies to 1.2, it is a line of text, not a coded function that Palm can actually execute. In future versions this may be a genuine issue, but given the quality homebrew scene we have, you can bet somebody will figure out how to disable their kill switch, and soon enough there'll be a tutorial guiding novice users through process too. So much as I dislike the concept of one, I'm not terribly concerned about it yet, nor should you be.
    Not worried here....as you can tell Palm is really profitting from the Homebrew section...most have graduated from here to the catalog. Without homebrew Palm wouldnt have any apps...so I think it will remain side by side and the people will probably do what Rick (Boatright) did with his app.

As you can tell Reversi is in the app catalog, but if you download that one, PreUpdate says there is an update to the app...the Reversi in the Homebrew catalog is a newer "beta" test version and will soon be updated to the app catalog, but we get to test first. I really like how he has done this. Thanks RBoatright!

So you get the best of both worlds...you get stability and cost with Palm catalog, and techy first see, maybe unstable, but free beta test on homebrrew.

I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!!!!