Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    UG! I have tried copying numerous different video's in numerous different formats to the Pre and it either:

1) Doesn't show the file at all
    2) Shows the file, but when I try to play it, it errors

The manual has no useful technical information about what EXACT video formats are supported- they just list a few codecs. What we need to know is

1) What are all the codecs and versions of each?
    2) What CONTAINER FORMATS are supported?
    3) What AUDIO codecs are supported in each of the container formats?
    4) What max resolution is supported? (Or supported before player drops < 24/30 FPS)
    5) What max bandwidth/bitrate is supported? (Or supported before player drops < 24/30 FPS)
    6) Is there some magic file naming convention required?

PS: Anyone have links to any links to neat videos that will actually PLAY on the Pre?
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Ok I have messed around with this the last few hours - you only need one program to take care of all your needs - its called handbrake (google it - it is available for free in both PC and Mac versions). YOu may have to all install a codec pack, all the instructions are on the website.

This program is great and will convert pretty much any file format (DRM'd an exception) in any other format - it has many presets for settings. I used the iPhone/iPod Touch preset and it works incredible on the Pre! Files are typically around 500-700mb for a full movie (1.5-2.5 hours).

Specifically though you want something that is 480x320 (480 being the the important number if you choose to maintain aspect ratio, e.g. the 320 will adjust properly).

The codec I use is H.264 and I use the .m4v format (bitrate/quality doesn't seem to matter but 59% which is the default setting on handbrake seems to be the best balance for size and quality)

audio is AAC 48khz sample rate and 128khz bitrate.

I hope this helps.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pcorrado View Post
    Ok I have messed around with this the last few hours - you only need one program to take care of all your needs - its called handbrake (google it - it is available for free in both PC and Mac versions). ... I used the iPhone/iPod Touch preset and it works incredible on the Pre! ... The codec I use is H.264 and I use the .m4v format ... audio is AAC 48khz sample rate and 128khz bitrate..
    Thanks for the info! I am familiar with handbrake (and it is available for Linux also, not just MS-Windows and MacOS). I will give it a shot- I wasn't sure where to even start!

I still would like to know all the Pre's exact other capabilities. I certainly hope they (Palm) add some additional container and codec support... for example, everything I have is in 264 codec with avi container... and it appears the Pre HATES that combination, although every Linux player works just fine with it. The idea of always having to transcode everything, just for the Pre, is rather annoying.
    As far as links to videos, I know video podcasts that are for ipod played fine on the Pre.
    I'm still having trouble. I have saved a small .mp4v file (480x320)
    in several placed 1) just dropped in Palm Pre file 2) dropped in DCIM 3) dropped in Downloads.

When I open videos it says I have none???

PS: Is there anyway to open the downloads file?
    Last edited by simonj; 06/08/2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: forgot to subscribe
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by simonj View Post
    I'm still having trouble. I have saved a small .mp4v file (480x320)
    in several placed 1) just dropped in Palm Pre file 2) dropped in DCIM 3) dropped in Downloads.

When I open videos it says I have none??? PS: Is there anyway to open the downloads file?
    Well, that is the way it was behaving for me, hence, my request for more details on the actual specifications and naming.

I have discovered that it doesn't seem to matter where you put it. As for your last question- that requires a file manager. Unfortunately, the Pre also lacks a file manager of ANY type. Although, I assume that will be an application that will appear later (possibly by a third-party).
    I've tried encoding my home video files (taken in video mode with a canon digital camera) using the exact directions given above by pcorrado and I am still having trouble. The video is now showing up as an available video in the video app, but when I try to play it the video is really choppy and the audio goes crazy in a loud fuzzy pulsing fashion. I haven't tried syncing video with Itunes cause I hate Itunes (it slows my computer down.) Does anybody have any suggestions or any other way to get my videos working. I wish I lived in a world where I can just drag and drop videos into a $500 phone.(rolls eyes)
    As you are aware Pre uses mp4 to play videos. I have taken this route and it works just fine for me.

I have purchsed a conversion program from Handango it is called DVD Calayst 3. This program will convert any dvd or media file and convert it to fit onto your Pre. It actually has the Pre name on the conversion file and automatically converts it to an mp4 file. I then have the program to save it to a movie folder and then I drag and drop it onto the Pre. Movie plays with no problems.

This program costs 19.99. To me it is worth it. I frequently download movies to my phone to watch. I have now around 10 movies on my Pre.

I spoke with a Palm Tech today and he informed me that PocketGear will be making applications for the Pre too.
    Thanks w3nitro -- Just installed DVD Catalyst 3.8 (found it for $9.95 at Tools4Movies.com). It worked flawlessly. Great user interface -- movie (mp4) that didn't run on my Pre -- I ran through the encoder using the Palm Pre preset in DVD Catalyst 3.8 and bag - worked perfectly.

In addition I did a side-by-side comparison of the same movie on the Pre and my iTouch. The Pre image is sharper and has better contrast (and the iTouch already has a really good picture).
    I tried useing you direction to encode video using DVD Calayst 3 (with palm pre profile) and I still can't get the video to play. It shows up in my video app and when i click on it, i get the endless circle loading thingy. This happen no matter if i choose the pre or pre HQ setting and it happend no matter where i save it. Any ideas?
    I'm using the trial version....does that matter?
    There are a few encoders I use regularly, all of which encode video to H.264 and play fine on Pre:

Handbrake (FREE) Probably the most user friendly FREE encoder. Select "iPhone / iPod Touch" profile. Supports Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.

RipBot264 (Free) -- small learning curve but worth it because it's somewhat superior to Handbrake. I tested encodes using iPhone profile (480x320 res, same as Pre) and output to an .MP4 container (NOT .MKV) and playback on Pre was flawless. Ripbot264 accepts just about any input format (AVI, DVD's, even BluRay files).

Badaboom ($30) but requires an Nvidia video card on your PC, 8 series or higher. It uses the GPU to accelerate H.264 encoding. I converted a few DVD's using the iPhone profile (since Pre and iPhone have exact same 480x320 res) and playback on Pre was flawless.
    Last edited by odditory; 06/13/2009 at 02:00 AM.
    Ok....I have no clue what is going on, but I have tried 5 different video encoding programs and they all do the same thing when I load them on the pre (endless loading loop thing) I looked at my devise manager and it says I have an Nvida mcp61 controller. I'm assuming this falls under the Badaboom catagory mentioned above. I will try this program as a last resort and report back.
    Ok, I give up!!!! Badaboom says my system is not compatable since it is not a "CUDA capable Nvida card?) I've tried using videora ,spb mobile dvd, pocket dvd studio, DVD Calayst 3, handbrake and now Badaboom and I get the endless loading loop of death with every single one of them (except badaboom which basically tells me to F-off) What I don't get is that all these programs convert the video fine and the converted video plays on my computer fine (except handbrake which I explain in a previous post), but when I drag and drop to Pre it won't play (no matter where I save it) Somebody please rescue me from this torment since I'm one of those people who can't rest untill I get what I want.
    I'm only encoding 1 min videos that I took with my cannon digital camera and I'm saving it to a "video" folder that I created in the root directory. The videos show up in the video app with size and title, but when I click I get loop. Oh and the original files that I'm converting FROM are .avi files. I have the klcodec475b package installed (which I assume would have the H.264 codec included)<---how would I know?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input. I download DVD Catalyst 3.8 for $9.95 and it worked great. I have heard of cats paying $50 for software to convert video for the Pre...thanks for saving my wallet and my fustration.
    I just downloaded the media player codec pack 3.5
    the tried encoding again using dvd catalyst and it does the same thing!!!! Is it just Vista????
    I just downloaded the media player codec pack 3.5
    the tried encoding again using dvd catalyst and it does the same thing!!!! Is it just Vista????
    It's not Vista, and codec packs have nothing to do with an encoder - those are mostly to support playback of various formats. Most codec packs out there are evil, slopped together by amateurs, and usually do more harm than good to your system. While on the subject I'd recommend uninstalling any and all codec packs, and installing Shark's codec pack (www.shark007.net) as far as being able to play back any format on a Windows PC, but that's not required for ENCODING video for the Pre.
    Last edited by odditory; 06/13/2009 at 01:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    for example, everything I have is in 264 codec with avi container... and it appears the Pre HATES that combination, although every Linux player works just fine with it. The idea of always having to transcode everything, just for the Pre, is rather annoying.
    What you're describing is x264 encoded files output to .MKV (Matroska container) and renamed to .AVI extension. It's not surprising Palm may be purposely frowning on anything but the .MP4 container, since I've seen this dynamic with other companies as well- "ignoring" MKV support without specific mention, and exactly because it's the most common format of illegal downloads, torrents, etc.

Companies that produce player hardware or software have often gotten heat from the MPAA if they supported MKV, even though its arguably the most flexible container format from a technical standpoint.
    Last edited by odditory; 06/13/2009 at 01:34 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast