Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Just verified from Sprint that the Pre will not play any file (music or video) that is not DRM free. [...]
    And Palm's website does list all the supported formats on the Pre:
    Well, it goes without saying that it doesn't deal with DRM, which is fine by me... DRM is evil, period.

But they do NOT list video specifications, just a jumbled mix of codecs and containers. It does not list video bitrates, resolutions, codec details (types of frames), nor exact combinations of WHICH codecs inside WHICH containers. That is the main problem with their "specs".
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    I tried useing you direction to encode video using DVD Calayst 3 (with palm pre profile) and I still can't get the video to play. It shows up in my video app and when i click on it, i get the endless circle loading thingy. This happen no matter if i choose the pre or pre HQ setting and it happend no matter where i save it. Any ideas?
    I have been using a program called DVDfab.
    It is a free 30 day trial and than $20 after
    I have used the settings for blackberry and the work perfectly.
    You can adjust the bit rate and resolution depending on if you perfer to save file size or picture quality.

I was able to hammer out about 80 movies as well as 3 sepearte television series in my 30 days.

If needed I can try to put together a detailed instructions, maybe even with screen shots. Haven't posted pictures here before but could give it a go.

In that program I have the option to split the dvd's into chapters.

If you would like I will take one of my movies and create files of the chapters.

Than I will try to post one of the chapters on a file hosting site and link it.

Not sure if we are allowed to do this. I figure if I can get a file to you that I know works on my Pre, than you could rule out user error and that maybe there is somehting wrong with your actual Pre it self.
    Last edited by Rkolodz1; 06/16/2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkolodz1 View Post
    I have been using a program called DVDfab.
    It is a free 30 day trial and than $20 after
    I have used the settings for blackberry and the work perfectly.
    You can adjust the bit rate and resolution depending on if you perfer to save file size or picture quality.

I was able to hammer out about 80 movies as well as 3 sepearte television series in my 30 days.

If needed I can try to put together a detailed instructions, maybe even with screen shots. Haven't posted pictures here before but could give it a go.

In that program I have the option to split the dvd's into chapters.

If you would like I will take one of my movies and create files of the chapters.

Than I will try to post one of the chapters on a file hosting site and link it.

Not sure if we are allowed to do this. I figure if I can get a file to you that I know works on my Pre, than you could rule out user error and that maybe there is somehting wrong with your actual Pre it self.
    Chapters, that sounds cool. Does this mean that when you tap on forward/previous it goes thru the chapters instead of to the next movie in your library?
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmfood View Post
    Chapters, that sounds cool. Does this mean that when you tap on forward/previous it goes thru the chapters instead of to the next movie in your library?
    Not sure I ahve not actually tried it yet.
    I am sure when it splits it into chapters it would make each chapter it's own video file, if you hit next it would just go to the next video file. would probably work if you name each file in sequential order. Might have to give that a try as well.

Might have a busy night tonight, but if i get time i will try all this stuff tonight, If not for sure on wednesday night.
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    What you're describing is x264 encoded files output to .MKV (Matroska container) and renamed to .AVI extension. It's not surprising Palm may be purposely frowning on anything but the .MP4 container, since I've seen this dynamic with other companies as well- "ignoring" MKV support without specific mention, and exactly because it's the most common format of illegal downloads, torrents, etc.

Companies that produce player hardware or software have often gotten heat from the MPAA if they supported MKV, even though its arguably the most flexible container format from a technical standpoint.
    You are so right. I love my .mkv HD files. I have hundreds of TV shows and movies that I torrented. No problem for Me! I'm using a beautiful program from Xilisoft, called "Video Converter Ultimate", and it too, has a setting for the iPod touch, using a lovely .mp4, h264 encode, and the videos are stunning to watch on my new Pre. I just Watched the first three episodes of the new True Blood show as well as Deadliest Catch on my pre, and have no problem playing my own videos recorded with a Canon Powershot camera. Now, Do you think a codec package will be available for the pre? I kinda miss the Kinoma Player, and the Pocket Tunes that I had on my Centro...
    you can try with this one is free and can converte ! wwwkoyotesoftcom look for video converter 2.1 i converte the movie im a legend to format iphone and is working perfectly in my pre . good luck!!!
    This is a great post. I am going to give all these ideas a shot and see if I can get some videos working on this puppy. I love the Pre to no end and want to utilize the everliving crap out of it!!!!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123