Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    There are a few encoders I use regularly, all of which encode video to H.264 and play fine on Pre:

Handbrake (free) Probably the most user friendly FREE encoder. Select "iPhone / iPod Touch" profile. Supports Windows, Mac OSX and Linux.
    ^I've gone this route as well... the encoding isn't the quickest, but it works quite well. Using the recommended "iPhone / iPod Touch" setting listed above, I haven't had any issues converting DVDs, TV episodes and the occasional podcast that isn't using some form of MP4.

Just my .02... L8R
    So as you read through this thread, you can tell that I'm getting increasingly frustrated with trying to get video clips onto my pre. I have tried every single suggestion (to a T) and still I get the "endless loading loop". I have even tried doing every program on my laptop and also on my father computer and each time i get the same result. So I'm left to assume that the problem rests squarely on the Pre's shoulders. Is there some setting that I am missing on the pre? After I drop the mp4's on to the pre, I go to the "video" app and I see my videos there and when I click on them, it just keeps loading forever. If I go to a Sprint store (an advanced technician store) and ask them, do you think they will even begin to be able to help me.
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    If I go to a Sprint store (an advanced technician store) and ask them, do you think they will even begin to be able to help me.
    Not a chance in hell. There is no way a phone tech/salesman would know about containers, codecs, formats, etc.

I'm about to head out for the day but when I get home I will check out a few free encoding packages and see what I come up with. I have lots of pro encoding software that would work but I imagine people here aren't trying to pay for a copy of Sorenson Squeeze or whatever.
    OK....so I finally got my avi files to convert to mp4 and play on the Pre. I used media-convert.com and picked the iphone/ipod preset format (like everyone else was doing with the other programs.) The crappy part is that it takes forever to encode one little 60 sec video. Armed with this new information, can anyone give a guess as to why none of the other programs worked, but media-convert.com did? Does it have anything to do with the fact that it is web based? I would think that this new fact would mean that there is something wrong with my computer, except for the facet that I tried the previous 8 different programs on three separate computers and they were always unsuccessful. Is there a program out there (that I can download) that will do the EXACT SAME THING as media-convert.com. There got to be something being encoded into the media-convert.com program that is missing in the others. Any ideas?
    I use handbrake H.264 doesn't seem to work on Windows. It does seem to work on a Mac. (?!?).

.MPV (ffmpeg), iTunes will import and will show in the player.
    480x272 with 640kbs in my video settings.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    add it to itunes and sync it
    Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
    I use handbrake H.264 doesn't seem to work on Windows. It does seem to work on a Mac. (?!?).

.MPV (ffmpeg), iTunes will import and will show in the player.
    480x272 with 640kbs in my video settings.
    h.264 works fine on Windows. I installed the ffdshow codec and my Windows machines play any mpeg 4 you can throw at it. My entire media center is loaded with movies I ripped in high quality h.264 and I ran Vista and now 7.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
    Works great under Linux; both the command line and GUI version. As mentioned, the "iphone" preset does create video that plays on the Pre.

It is unfortunate that everything has to be transcoded. I was hoping the Treo could handle more containers, codecs, and bitrates. I am still unable to find ANY real technical specifications as to *exactly* what the Pre will support. (Saying "mp4" means almost nothing).

I assume if we knew the specs, that mencoder and ffmeg should also work fine. Handbrake seems to use H.264 (960bit 480x) + MP4 + AAC (128bit/48kHz), 2 ref frames + mixed,
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    OMGosh!

Thank you w3nitro. I downloaded DVD Catalyst 3. This program cost only $9.95, it was simple to install and run. It has a Palm Pre output template.

I've never uploaded a DVD to anything in my life and this took two minutes to setup. It takes roughly 40 minutes to convert a DVD and upload it to the Palm. I am flying to Hawaii next week (roundtrip 17 hours in the air) and I'm going to load up the Palm with movies to keep me occupied.
    Carter Patterson
    Quote Originally Posted by carterpatterson View Post
    OMGosh!

Thank you w3nitro. I downloaded DVD Catalyst 3. This program cost only $9.95, it was simple to install and run. It has a Palm Pre output template.

I've never uploaded a DVD to anything in my life and this took two minutes to setup. It takes roughly 40 minutes to convert a DVD and upload it to the Palm. I am flying to Hawaii next week (roundtrip 17 hours in the air) and I'm going to load up the Palm with movies to keep me occupied.
    I hope you plan to bring lots of extra batteries. With the reported Pre battery life will need one at the end of the first movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by macintoshse View Post
    I hope you plan to bring lots of extra batteries. With the reported Pre battery life will need one at the end of the first movie.
    Usually if I'm on Amtrak or whatever and watching movies on my phone I have it plugged in (same as I would with a laptop). If you are just out and about there is no reason a full battery won't last 2 or 3 hours of video playback. You would probably want to charge afterward but it would work fine. There aren't many large touch screen smartphones that can play back several hours of video without a decent amount of battery drain. Hell, lots of laptops can't seem to do it either.

Anyway, one free option for DVD to Palm Pre is to use Fair Use Wizard. I use it to rip my DVDs to my media center in high quality h.264. There is apparently an iPhone preset so that ought to work for Pre videos as well.

FairUse Wizard - Easy DVD to iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Classic, AppleTV, Zune, Xbox 360, PS3, Standalone DivX Player, TiVO HD. Encode with DivX, XviD, H.264, VP7 and ffVFW codecs!
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macintoshse View Post
    Or just bring your car adaptor and plug your Pre into your chair's socket? :P
    I'm not worried about battery life as the plane has 110 and USB ports according to SeatGuru.com.

The battery life is awful, but I've been able to compensate with the "put a touchstone everywhere" philosophy. I have 3. One in my office, my home office and my nightstand. When they develop a touchstone car charger, I'll buy one of those. For now, I have the standard car charger which works, but its awkard.

I do not like charging it on the side microusb. I wish they would have put it at the bottom of the phone.
    Carter Patterson
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by carterpatterson View Post
    I do not like charging it on the side microusb. I wish they would have put it at the bottom of the phone.
    You can say THAT again. I find the little door almost impossible to open at times. And even when open, even getting the cable connected is sometimes tricky. The Touchstone is so much more convenient.

I just hope that the display doesn't wear out on the charger. There is no reason to have it running all the time, and there is no setting to tell it to go off after a while. Plus, having the display on and the unit "awake" probably slows charging time.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I just hope that the display doesn't wear out on the charger. There is no reason to have it running all the time, and there is no setting to tell it to go off after a while. Plus, having the display on and the unit "awake" probably slows charging time.
    You'll switch to a new phone long before the LCD backlight burns out, with how low they put the backlight while it's on the Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcorrado View Post
    Ok I have messed around with this the last few hours - you only need one program to take care of all your needs - its called handbrake (google it - it is available for free in both PC and Mac versions). YOu may have to all install a codec pack, all the instructions are on the website.

This program is great and will convert pretty much any file format (DRM'd an exception) in any other format - it has many presets for settings. I used the iPhone/iPod Touch preset and it works incredible on the Pre! Files are typically around 500-700mb for a full movie (1.5-2.5 hours).

Specifically though you want something that is 480x320 (480 being the the important number if you choose to maintain aspect ratio, e.g. the 320 will adjust properly).

The codec I use is H.264 and I use the .m4v format (bitrate/quality doesn't seem to matter but 59% which is the default setting on handbrake seems to be the best balance for size and quality)

audio is AAC 48khz sample rate and 128khz bitrate.

I hope this helps.
    Great tips. Simple to follow and they work!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    The video app lacks control, but as I was messing around with it I figured out that while watching a video, if you swipe on the screen up, accross or down, it will fast forward in 30 second intervals.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    You can say THAT again. I find the little door almost impossible to open at times. And even when open, even getting the cable connected is sometimes tricky. The Touchstone is so much more convenient.

I would think this could go without mentioning but I read in another thread that the idea was new to some people... are you sliding your phone open and THEN opening the microUSB door? Some folks in that other thread were prying it open with the phone in the closed position Haha Even with the phone slid open, I agree it's still a little cumbersome popping the door open. Some users have already ripped the door off on purpose.
    Just verified from Sprint that the Pre will not play any file (music or video) that is not DRM free.

So all those videos that iTunes offers for free are NOT DRM free as I found out.

What Sprint said to do is when in iTunes goto 'properties' or 'get info' and look to see if it's DRM free. It was the first line of info on that page.

And Palm's website does list all the supported formats on the Pre:

For music it said:

You can play music that you copy from your computer or stream from the web in the following formats: MP3, AAC, or AAC+ format. For files received as email attachments, you can play files in the MP3, AAC, AAC+, WAV, AMR, or QCLEP format.

For Video:

You can view videos in the MPEG4, H.263, H.264, MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3GPP, 3G2, and 3GP2 formats. Videos play on your phone in landscape orientation.

DRM free!

Hope this helps!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

OK I tried converting a movie that I had already converted to .WMV for my Windows Media Center.

I purchased the DVD Catalyst 3.80 (or what I think people are calling Handbrake).

I select the Pre (non HQ) and converted the movie Galatica.

When played back, it was as if everything was in fast forward and the audio of course did not match up.

So is anyone having this problem?

I have other Video Converters on hand to try if this product can't be worked with.

I did not try converting a virgin DVD movie. I was converting from one format to another here, so that might have been too much?

Thanks for the help!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast