Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1.    #101  
    Thinking more of this issue, if search results open in a separate Pre browser window, would that be more acceptable to Epocrates and other drug data info providers?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Aw man!

That's lame. I guess that saves me the pressure of trying to find a workaround from that disclaimer. So, good news to me! hahaha I'm sorry to hear that. I did think there would be a problem with using the (copyrighted) images on the main search page... *SIGH*. I think if we remove that for Epocrates, and then if the database picked is Epocrates, make it launch a webpage by itself, that might go over smoother with them.

You should suggest/request that.

Well, that saves me the trouble. . haha.
  3.    #103  
    I have and the application has been updated with changes which I think Epocrates will allow
    - no Epocrates logo
    - results open in a separate Browser window. Somehow the section links still do not work (they work in a full browser) so I think the script does not play well with the Pre's browser and it's not the fault of the Webview widget.

Hope everyone is happy now
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 09/25/2009 at 06:13 PM.
    Well that is really deflating news. Seems to me they are just being a bit overzealous trying to protect their IP when all drugview is doing is linking to their already available web portal. It doesn't seem like epocrates really understands what kind of application Drugview is... sigh...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #105  
    So gfunk, definitely NO caching of data
    Should we make ALL search results open in a separate browser window and hence avoid future issues like this? This has the added advantage of having side by side comparison of data for each drug.
    I think we should also add links to the data providers home page - perhaps this would make it less contentious.
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 09/25/2009 at 06:31 PM.
    Doc,

Alright, I guess if that's the safest way to do it, then so be it. Instead of the image on the search page, you could just turn it into a link for each website...

And opening up a browser would probably be the safest thing I guess. We can think up other benefits of a "multiple drug database searcher" as time goes on and you guys use it more often. I guess as of now, launching all of them into a separate web page would be best.

If you get any ideas or need something added on, let me know!
  7.    #107  
    What about your excellent drugs.mobi viewer? Should we turn that back into a plain browser view?
    haha bah that's a tough one... I say if it really makes a difference to your use of the app, keep it for now. To be honest, it wasn't a lot of work, so don't feel bad about discarding it. I honestly don't think it looks too good and I really wanted to make it better... but... it's up to you. If you think its helpful/aesthetically pleasing enough, keep it for now. If it doesn't really affect the browsing too much, it would be better to go the safe route.

Whatever you feel is best.
  9.    #109  
    v 0.2.2 up. All the logos have been removed. Links to provider homepages created, and search results for Epocrates, MIMS and Wikipedia open in separate browser windows
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I think you are a little paranoid. I would remove the epocrates logo and wait for their response. I wouldn't do any more changing. It is easy to search for the drugs the way it is. Besides, a new browser would cause a memory leak reducing the number of cards I can have open. I would not recommend it. The current setup works best. Haven't tried the update yet.
  11.    #111  
    Appreciate your input thanks. How do others feel? Would you prefer results in a separate browser or an internal webview?
    Separate browser views do allow side by side comparison & also full browser navigation controls.
    Hey palmdoc2005,
    I like having the information open in the app, that is the reason I removed the iphone spoof. It gave it a consistent look and feel. Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Appreciate your input thanks. How do others feel? Would you prefer results in a separate browser or an internal webview?
    Separate browser views do allow side by side comparison & also full browser navigation controls.
    I think you should just wait until you get a response back from epocrates before you change the result to separate browser. Seems like an over reaction to me. I would prefer if the results were maintained in the internal webview. That is the main advantage of the app in my opinion...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14.    #114  
    Alright guys, you win. Internal webviews reinstated in v 0.2.3. Let's see what Epocrates has to say and I am inviting Sean to participate in this discussion.
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 09/26/2009 at 07:48 PM.
    I don't think you have "no choice" but to comply. You are not crossing their borders so to speak since you are just doing what other users with other web-enabled phones do... View the webpage of tjeir free oine tool. I think it is only fair that you continue to use this, and it is fair to take down the epocrates option ONCE THE NATIVE ePocrates app appears.

Who's with me?
    Eh... I think they asked with a lot of respect, and should be returned the favor. Better safe than sorry. It is THEIR information that you are using. Same as Palm claiming the phone syncs with iTunes. The phone does, but it's Apple's choice. Same, the app may be able to direct the user to the site but it can't "advertise" it I guess.

I think that's a bad analogy. hahaha... but either way, I think the safest thing to do would be to launch a separate browser card. I truly don't understand why they aren't happy about it... but... whatever. It's their site, their information.

I like the fact that you requested to AT LEAST keep it up until their app is officially released. I think that's only fair. But anyway, it's up to you guys... whatever you find more convenient, you should fight for.
  17.    #117  
    I think the point about opening up in separate browser views means opening up more cards (and hence taxing the device's memory) is a valid point. I hope Epocrates (and Sean if he jumps in this thread) will see this and allow Webview rather than a separate browser instance.
    I have clearly put this in the text message in the search page with a clear link to Epocrates mobile (and the others as well).
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I think that is the best decision. If Epocrates still disagree, then just remove epocrates and we can just use the remaining three. The drugs.mobi has a better interface as it is. Have you tried PMing the Epocrates crew here? They posted here http://forums.precentral.net/webos-apps-software/201821-where-native-epocrates.html

Still, I do prefer the current setup vs. the webpages. Webpages just hogs the memory. Thanks for changing back
    Well... while we're at it... any modifications/improvements to the GUI on drugs.mobi search results?

I personally think it's kind of simple/primitive. I'd be willing to spruce it up a bit if I got any suggestions...

What would people like to see?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Well... while we're at it... any modifications/improvements to the GUI on drugs.mobi search results?

I personally think it's kind of simple/primitive. I'd be willing to spruce it up a bit if I got any suggestions...

What would people like to see?

Not sure if this is possible but... what about the option of linking a search result for a drug from one formulary to another? For example in the current setup: if search "drug x" in drug.mobi database, then to search same drug x in different formulary you must first go back to main screan and enter search again on different search site. Is is possible to link search results from one site to another without going back to the main search screen? Also could it be possible to search all sites simutaneously and then display all results in a table for easy and simple comparison. Such a feature would truely make Drugview a unique and useful tool for searching multiple online drug sources (especially since it won't be caching results now )

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast