Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks for the update. Could the app remember the last used database at startup? I only use Epocrates and it always starts on Mobi. Thanks!
    Visor->650->Pre
  2.    #82  
    I'm sure that can be done with cookies. Have to read up on that one unless anyone (Sirata?) can quickly chip in.
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 09/20/2009 at 10:21 PM.
    Wow.

Hey Palmdoc! This is looking REALLY good. I downloaded 0.0.7 on my Pre. It works perfectly for me... I will update to 0.1.0. I've been kinda slow on the working on development lately... some personal stuff going on, as well as the fact that I just got my Pre so i've been spending some time playing around with it and rooting and whatnot. Anyway, I hope to start up on DrugView this week and see where I get.

Sorry about the delay... : /
  4.    #84  
    Congrats on getting the Pre!! Damn, I am still waiting for mine - when will the GSM version come out?!?!?!
    Source code for v 0.1.0 is in the first post.
    I am not sure how to so could you add the cookie thing again for users to keep their search preferences?
    Thanks
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Wow.

Hey Palmdoc! This is looking REALLY good. I downloaded 0.0.7 on my Pre. It works perfectly for me... I will update to 0.1.0. I've been kinda slow on the working on development lately... some personal stuff going on, as well as the fact that I just got my Pre so i've been spending some time playing around with it and rooting and whatnot. Anyway, I hope to start up on DrugView this week and see where I get.

Sorry about the delay... : /
    Warning, modding the Pre is addicting. I have found myself spending hours trying to get it just right!!

Congrats on the Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Congrats on getting the Pre!! Damn, I am still waiting for mine - when will the GSM version come out?!?!?!
    Hahaha hang in there! I know the painful feeling. You're coming up close though... fingers crossed.

I am not sure how to so could you add the cookie thing again for users to keep their search preferences?
    Thanks
    Yeah, I actually left most of the code in there, commented out. I can go in and finish that up soon. I'll upload just the main search-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $so$ $that$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $to$ $download$ $the$ $entire$ $thing$ $again$.

I'll have it up by tonight.
    Hey palmdoc,

couldn't wait.

Here's the attached search-assistant.jsjsjs $file$. $I$ $havn$'$t$ $done$ $anything$ $except$ $introduce$ $the$ $cookie$ $that$ $saves$ $which$ $search$ $engine$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $use$. $We$ $COULD$, $if$ $wanted$, $save$ $the$ $last$ $search$ $and$ $automatically$ $fill$ $it$ $in$, $however$ $I$ $assume$ $when$ $you$ $people$ $use$ $this$ $thing$, $it$'$s$ $not$ $for$ $the$ $same$ $drug$ $over$ $and$ $over$ $again$. $If$ $you$ $really$ $wanted$ $to$, $we$ $can$ $throw$ $together$ $a$ $quick$ $preferences$ $page$ ($see$ $my$ $RIPTA$ $app$) $with$ $a$ $toggle$ $for$ &$quot$;$save$ $last$ $search$&$quot$; $or$ $something$ $like$ $that$. $It$ $wouldn$'$t$ $necessarily$ $save$ $the$ $information$ $received$, $just$ $the$ $search$ $string$ $so$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $to$ $type$ $it$ $again$.

In the meanwhile, you can integrate this (I assumed it would constitute v0.1.2 of the app) into your app:
    Attached Files Attached Files
  8.    #88  
    Thanks Sirata. I have updated it and hey, why not go all the way and put it as a major version 0.2.0
    The cookies work well, so know you get back the last data source provider used.
    I have added more menu items - disclaimer, help, issues(bugs)
    Sirata: could you please check the code in the about-assistant.jsjsjs $and$ $see$ $why$ $I$ $can$'$t$ $jump$ $to$ $the$ $bugs$ $page$ $from$ $within$ $the$ $about$ $page$ $rather$ $having$ $it$ $as$ $a$ $separate$ $menu$ $item$? $Thanks$

Some questions I'd like to pose:
    1) Should this app be submitted to the Palm App Catalog?
    2) I am concerned about copyright issues since on one hand we are accessing data from the various sites but on the other hand we are essentially using this app like a mobile browser. Comments?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    palmdoc,

thanks for the app, just downloaded and installed 0.2.0. definitely would not have much use for looking at the same drug over and over, although a history of the last 5 or so searches would be helpful. it is very helpful to have the search engine saved
    This developing very nicely! One suggestion...what about adding wikipedia as one of the search sources? Using the mobile wikipedia site works quite well for drug searches and I imagine it would work quite nicely with Drugview as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Hey doc,

so I realized the app only saves the info after you press Submit. I'll change that to save whenever you select a new formulary. As per your questions:

I think this app should definitely be submitted to the App Catalog. However, I really think it would essentially be pointless to submit it if it only shows webview. We need to offer a better alternative than just a WebView of the sites needed. Personally speaking, I think the app needs a LOT more work before its ready for "prime time". That being said, we really need to think up functionality to add, after of course, the main issues with displaying the page correctly are solved. I think the app should be a more meaningful, user friendly, and purposeful way of browsing the site. Frankly speaking, and not trying to demean the app in anyway, but if it just shows the webpage I don't personally see the reason for having an app. I hope you understand what I'm saying and don't take offense.

Speaking from my own experience, I have tried to make many an app that takes basic information clearly displayed on a website and tried to think up apps to make it seem more logical and display it clearly with easy navigation. When I found that it wasn't of significant enough benefit of having an app solely dedicated to accessing the site, as in, going directly to the website worked just as well, I abandoned the project. : /. That's just my own opinion though. You guys probably use these sites a lot and it would probably make a lot more sense for you to have a unified launching point. We can see what other people think... but I think it needs a LOT more work before we're ready. However, if we do make significant progress, it should DEFINITELY be submitted.

Moving on, I will look into the code and see what problems there may be.

You want a link to the bugs page right on the "Help" page? I'll eventually look into doing that then.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    what about adding wikipedia as one of the search sources?
    LOL gfunk. you're late to the party! doc's already implemented it... quite nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    LOL gfunk. you're late to the party! doc's already implemented it... quite nicely.
    ooops... been busy...haven't had a chance to checkout the new features! but thanks!

I think this app should definitely be submitted to the App Catalog. However, I really think it would essentially be pointless to submit it if it only shows webview. We need to offer a better alternative than just a WebView of the sites needed. Personally speaking, I think the app needs a LOT more work before its ready for "prime time". That being said, we really need to think up functionality to add, after of course, the main issues with displaying the page correctly are solved. I think the app should be a more meaningful, user friendly, and purposeful way of browsing the site. Frankly speaking, and not trying to demean the app in anyway, but if it just shows the webpage I don't personally see the reason for having an app. I hope you understand what I'm saying and don't take offense.
    There are a few features that could be added to this app to make it more than just a webview for various sites. Number one of course has already been implemented...that is the ability to search multiple online drug soruces which is great! I think the next step should be the ability to save searches and also to be able to make notes on certain drugs/searches. That would be a really nice feature. Another thing to consider is the ability to download or cache formularies from these sites. However, I do not know the legality of this though... Since most of these sites are free, would they care if an app like Drugview did this? What I am basically suggesting is the ability to actually download and cache the entire drug formulary databases from these sites for offline viewing on Drugview... what you all think?
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/22/2009 at 01:01 AM.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14.    #94  
    @Sirata I appreciate your comments on Webview. I agree it would be nicer if the data could be reformatted for the Pre rather than a plain Webview. Perhaps we'll leave it in Homebrew till the app is more "mature".
    Someone has also suggested that the search result first gives a report like"your search has found x results)

I think though we should be careful about crossing line between "browsing" and caching drug data on the Pre.Regarding the latter I would be more concerned that the data providers would not be too happy about.
    It is a good idea to be able to save search histories though I am not sure how to go about that.

I think though we should be careful about crossing line between "browsing" and caching drug data on the Pre.Regarding the latter I would be more concerned that the data providers would not be too happy about.
    It is a good idea to be able to save search histories though I am not sure how to go about that.
    I understand you concerns. However, isn't that exactly what other offline viewers like plucker and isilox already do?
    Plucker: The best HTML and ebook reader for Palm and Windows mobile devices
    iSiloX
    On my old palmos Treos I used isilox all the time to download and save html from various websites for offline viewing. I imagine Drugview could do the same thing, the difference being that drugview would be caching drug formularies. I wish there was an isilo reader for webos so I could try this myself...

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I have to agree with gfunk. Look at the official app catalog. Infopedia is just a view for wikipedia. This actually have 4 options you can use to look for a drug in a nice format. It won't be useful as a paid app, but it could definitely be a free app.

I like how the app has been developing. It is really nice. I almost have no need for micromedix.

The only expansion would be something that would compete with Epocrates. Like having symptoms you can look up, or checking compatibility for IV drugs. I'm sure you don't want to wonder off into that arena, but it would be great it you did.
    Gfunk,

I think with what you're saying, the companies might be a little offended. As of now, we are increasing their site traffic, getting them hits, and referring users who want to know about drugs to them. This will most probably make them happy. However, if we start saving the data and make the app self-reliant, we make it unnecessary to contact or use the sites anymore, this, I assume, would not make them happy. We COULD try to just have a list of "recently searched terms" for easier access... but I don't think we can actually cache the results... : /.

Also, I really like the "taking notes" on certain drugs... that's a good point. I'm not too positive how that would go about being implemented... but we can consider that for a bit down the road.

doc,

After my coursework settles down a bit I can look into saving the last maybe 5 or 10 searches...

shotyme,

those are great ideas but we really need to get the basic functionality of the app down first. Addons and extra features would be great to make the app robust, but that's after we get the core purpose of the app functional.
    While I agree that it needs to be more "mature" to be in the catalog, I think that eventually it could be a 2.0.0 update to MediPDA. I see no reason why this couldn't be another part of that app, and it would significantly broaden the scope of its capabilities.
  19.    #99  
    Hi davis. I appreciate your input but personally I would prefer to keep MediPDA as a medical calculator to work out medical equations and algorithms, and not involve drug referencing.
    Drugview has potential and if it develops further it should be a separate application IMO.
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 09/25/2009 at 04:25 PM.
  20.    #100  
    Epocrates has taken note of Drugview and I have received a polite take down notice. This is the email which I am obliged to post here as it concerns all Drugview users and I view this app as a concerted Homebrew effort:

I head up the Epocrates product management team responsible for Epocrates Rx and other subscription products. I don’t think you and I have met before, but I know you’ve been a strong supporter of Epocrates over the years and a strong advocate for medical applications on the Palm devices and platforms. We sincerely appreciate all you’ve done in that regard.
    I’m writing to you today about the Drugview app that you recently posted. While we at Epocrates are very flattered that you would include our drug database in your Drugview application, we have some concerns about its inclusion there and would like to respectfully request that you remove Epocrates from the application.
    We do know that there are a large and growing number of Palm WebOS users out there looking for a comprehensive drug database, and we are working hard at developing a native version for WebOS. Hopefully that news has reached you already. In the meantime, we are asking our existing users to be patient, knowing that the native Epocrates application is on its way for WebOS. We are working toward a December release of the free Rx application with Essentials and other premium versions to follow later.
    I did look at the Drugview application and have some concerns about it that I would like you to consider. First, the application is not fully representing Epocrates content in the manner we would like. Because of the inherent limitations of providing a drug comparison tool without having access to all of the native drug content, the user interface that displays the Epocrates content is not as user friendly (in my opinion) as we would like to see when we release applications to our users. For example, some key functionality such as multi-check (interaction checker) is not represented. Also, use of the Epocrates logo and content were never approved by us, and we are obligated to ensure that they are only used in authorized and appropriate ways.
    We really do appreciate the support you’ve given us over the years and hope you respond to this email in the positive way we intend. We are working very hard to port our applications over to WebOS and would like the first impression our users have of our content on that device to be as positive as possible. We would appreciate your support in that regard.

Sean Handel
    This is my reply (with typos corrected - it's 5 am over here):

Hi Sean

Thanks for your email and indeed I appreciate your views and concerns from Epocrates' standpoint
    I would however like to point out some things which I'm sure you are aware of:

1) Drugview is not a standalone drug application. It uses Webview which is essentially a WebOS browser widget so it is in essence a browser application
    2) The search bar is like a short cut search bar which will produce a result in a browser
    3) The result is essentially the same as a search using the Epocrates Medsearch tool
    Online medical reference tool by Epocrates
    and displays the Epocrates drug monograph for each drug search
    I believe Epocrates is encouraging use of this tool by other website/content publishers
    4) Drugview is driving traffic to Epocrates and creating user awareness of Epocrates

As Drugview is a free tool which appears to be well received by the PreCentral Homebrew community I shall have to highlight your request and my reply in the PreCentral Homebrew forums.

What I would like is an amicable solution which will benefit WebOS users as well as Epocrates.
    1) I hope Epocrates will officially allow us to continue to use the Drugview search facility to direct results of drug searches to Epocrates
    2) Drugview could cease linking to Epocrates once a native WebOS Epocrates is available

Please let me know your views
    If Epocrates still insists on a take down then I think we have no choice but to comply. Sorry guys.
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 09/25/2009 at 04:33 PM.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast