1.    #1  
    How similar are the 2 Linux Distributions and can anyone extract 2 programs and check the similarities and differences?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    WebOS uses html/javascript, android is Java based. Totally difference programming languages.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    WebOS uses html/javascript, android is Java based. Totally difference programming languages.
    But they are both Linux and therefore should be able to run eachothers software as long as required languages are installed.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Nope - totally different APIs per OS. So even if you could run Java on the Pre (which you can't right now), the internal apis that Android provides would not be found in WebOS. And Android doesn't provide the Mojo toolkit.

Linux is just an OS, not an app provider.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Nope - totally different APIs per OS. So even if you could run Java on the Pre (which you can't right now), the internal apis that Android provides would not be found in WebOS. And Android doesn't provide the Mojo toolkit.

Linux is just an OS, not an app provider.
    Java IS running on the pre. The package manager service for preware is written in java. Some of palm's services are written in java.

But even so, you are correct in that android apps won't run on the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    But they are both Linux and therefore should be able to run eachothers software as long as required languages are installed.
    You have to remember that the Pre is only running linux "underneath" webOS, in much the same way that Windows 3.1 ran on top of DOS.

The programs for the Pre, with the possible exception of some of the built-in apps, are not running code for the linux kernel and ARM processor. (I think the Pre is using ARM....)

They are written in javascript that is only interacting with WebOS.

For comparison, you can look at two different linux distributions for the desktop, Ubuntu, and Mandriva. Ubuntu runs a gnome desktop by default, and Mandriva runs KDE.

Now, a lot of the software they run is obviously native linux, and not in any way dependent on what you're using for a nice pretty front end. However, let's look at their file managers. Nautilus (gnome) and Konquerer (KDE).

You can't run Konquerer on a default Ubuntu distribution without also installing half of KDE along with it, because it depends on all sorts of QT and KDE specific libraries.

Installing an android app on WebOS would be the same thing. You would have to install half (or more) of the android platform to get it to run. Even then, you'd still need to find a way to make it play nice with the UI of WebOS, which is non-trivial in a big way. In fact, it would be even more complicated because while Nautilus and Konquerer both depend on a lot of things that are more or less universal, such as the X server, there wouldn't be any shared dependencies between an android app and a WebOS app.
  7.    #7  
    Now that we have seen that this is possible to transform app's from other device platforms to the Palm WebOS platform... Should we be excited or are all the good developers gone?
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Now that we have seen that this is possible to transform app's from other device platforms to the Palm WebOS platform... Should we be excited or are all the good developers gone?
    There's plenty of good developers around, but again, it's just not that simple.

We are not seeing apps from other platforms simply moving over to WebOS, and we never will. It simply doesn't work that way.

Every single app you have ever seen on another platform, and then seen on WebOS was either re-written for WebOS, or at least ported.

In some instances, the process of porting the apps to WebOS is very simple. Sometimes it's very very complicated, and sometimes it's impossible in all practical terms and the app has to be re-written.

The number of apps for WebOS is growing steadily, and growing much faster than a lot of other platforms grew. If it's not enough, you've got 4 options.

1. Learn to program and start contributing. (Or contribute financially to those who can do the real work)

2. Move to another platform that has been out longer

3. Accept it for what it is and be happy.

4. Do none of the above, and be unhappy for ever.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    There's plenty of good developers around, but again, it's just not that simple.

We are not seeing apps from other platforms simply moving over to WebOS, and we never will. It simply doesn't work that way.

Every single app you have ever seen on another platform, and then seen on WebOS was either re-written for WebOS, or at least ported.

In some instances, the process of porting the apps to WebOS is very simple. Sometimes it's very very complicated, and sometimes it's impossible in all practical terms and the app has to be re-written.

The number of apps for WebOS is growing steadily, and growing much faster than a lot of other platforms grew. If it's not enough, you've got 4 options.

1. Learn to program and start contributing. (Or contribute financially to those who can do the real work)

2. Move to another platform that has been out longer

3. Accept it for what it is and be happy.

4. Do none of the above, and be unhappy for ever.
    Thanks for the input... My point exactly was PORTING... Not exactly just dropping the files in and running them. I am not understanding the whole last part of your response... Are you telling me your unhappy, because "I am not", I am just curious on the development from "Developers".
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    yea, that's what I thought you meant. I think porting from the iphone will be easier using the ipk, since it's the same language.
    Well first is you need the source to be able to port, which means you'd need to contact the developer, second it is exactly what everyone else has said, Mojo is nothing like Java, the only reason we can port code from the iPhone is because those games are already written in objective C which the PDK supports, and is a very simple process.

The compiler used in the PDK actually supports Java (though Java in android phones make calls to the completely different API), but Palm has said they do not have any plans to support Java.

Just assume its not possible until Palm releases additional support in the PDK.
  12.    #12  

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    one could port the android subsystem to the palm pre. would be a lot of work
    // Aaron Ardiri
    Mobile 1UP, http://www.mobile1up.com/
    Caveman, Caveman HD (touchpad), Cronk and GW Series available on web OS
    would webos internals get involved in this? i have 2 or 3 apps that i would love to see ported to pre but unfortunately are free but not open source and i cant seem to contact the dev..
    Last edited by scoutcamper; 05/13/2010 at 04:54 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcamper View Post
    would webos internals get involved in this? i have 2 or 3 apps that i would love to see ported to pre but unfortunately are free but not open source and i cant seem to contact the dev..
    I'm not gonna flame WebOS Internals, I just doubt they will help.

it would be much easier with an iphone app. Iphone apps are written in c++, palms pdk supports c++... Which is what makes webos great, you can port current apps easily, and make web ones really quickly to.
  17.    #17  
    So who thinks there will be a change big enough to allow this to happen once we receive WebOS 1.4.5?