1.    #1  
    Have been really busy lately and havent been able to consume my self in my pre, just got on preware and i notice there are some new apps but i have no idea what the do or what they are for?? did a search on pre central and came back with nothing? can anyone help with this?
    OpenSSh
    Nano
    Dropbear SSH
    it appears that i would install the optware bootstrap first but dont really know? any help would be great......would hate to be missing out on something that would make my pre even better than i already think it is!!
    If you see an application of type "Optware", then it is a Linux command line application with no GUI. Unless you are comfortable on the Linux command line, you should just ignore them at the moment.

In the future, we expect people will be able to add front-end user interfaces to some of these Linux command line tools.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    if 'front-end user interfaces' are added, what can that do? How would it effect the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by supervillain View Post
    if 'front-end user interfaces' are added, what can that do? How would it effect the phone?
    Anything a Linux desktop computer can do.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Anything a Linux desktop computer can do.

-- Rod
    aircrack/airmon?
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    In theory, but you would need to have the full specs of the wifi chipset, and the chipset itself needs to be able to support the functions of aircrack. It is possibly but highly unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you see an application of type "Optware", then it is a Linux command line application with no GUI. Unless you are comfortable on the Linux command line, you should just ignore them at the moment.

In the future, we expect people will be able to add front-end user interfaces to some of these Linux command line tools.

-- Rod
    I have installed openssh-sftp-server using these instructions:

webos-internals.org/wiki/Setup_SFTP and
    webos-internals.org/wiki/Next_steps

(Sorry about the poor links. The forum won't let me post links because I have less than 10 posts!)

I assume that the Optware apps and the Bootstrap app are being created to make installing these apps simpler.

Should I install the Optware Bootstrap app, Dropbear SSH and OpenSSH, even though I already have from the command line? If I attempt to, will it first check to see if they are already installed? Would I get better notification of updates if I use Preware to install such apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    I have installed openssh-sftp-server using these instructions:

webos-internals.org/wiki/Setup_SFTP and
    webos-internals.org/wiki/Next_steps

(Sorry about the poor links. The forum won't let me post links because I have less than 10 posts!)

I assume that the Optware apps and the Bootstrap app are being created to make installing these apps simpler.

Should I install the Optware Bootstrap app, Dropbear SSH and OpenSSH, even though I already have from the command line? If I attempt to, will it first check to see if they are already installed? Would I get better notification of updates if I use Preware to install such apps?
    It would be best to wait until there is a wiki page or an official post here about them, since there will need to be instructions on how to transition.

I always wonder why people are so keen to install every new app (no matter whether it's in alpha, beta or whatever state) that just happens to pop up in the installer. The descriptions even say that it's binaries only, and no configuration yet ...

-- Rod
    speaking of these apps, i cant find them. i wanted to install bootstrap so i didnt have to do the next steps procedure on command line. Am i just missing it or is it gone?
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    speaking of these apps, i cant find them. i wanted to install bootstrap so i didnt have to do the next steps procedure on command line. Am i just missing it or is it gone?
    Set the "Show All Package Types" preference, or look in the List of Everything.

-- Rod