Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love Word Ace, but have trouble coming up with words at times. To help I have created a word maker that will calculate the best scoring word for any combination of letters. The site is currently online at 7letterwords.com. Any and all feedback is welcome.

With the influx of iPhone users on Word Ace this should help us kick some iPhone booty.
    An example of the cancer that is killing Word Ace. Many people are stopping playing because people do this, and you're advertising a way to do it? It takes all the excitement out of the game, and I hope selfawaregames finds a way to reduce the number of people doing this, because it takes alot away from the game unfortunately.

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Yeah, stopped playing Word Ace because it's become all luck. Everyone cheats now, so you're left with the luck of the letters. Please delete this spam post.
  4.    #4  
    Wow, interesting reaction.

Without using any outside help I have been accused of cheating at the game and I am sure that many others have been also. I think that within the game many people unable to think of good words are too quick to assume that others in the game are cheating.

I love to code in PHP and built this generator to see if I could do it. It was quite challenging to compensate for negative words and letter values while dealing with a database of over 50,000 words. Just thought that I would share and find it a bit of a reach to assume that something like this would ruin the game. There are many guides and tools for various games that are still very popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by lcoff View Post
    Wow, interesting reaction.

Without using any outside help I have been accused of cheating at the game and I am sure that many others have been also. I think that within the game many people unable to think of good words are too quick to assume that others in the game are cheating.

I love to code in PHP and built this generator to see if I could do it. It was quite challenging to compensate for negative words and letter values while dealing with a database of over 50,000 words. Just thought that I would share and find it a bit of a reach to assume that something like this would ruin the game. There are many guides and tools for various games that are still very popular.
    While I'm glad that you're interested enough in the game to write an anagrammer for it, you're making money (from ads) using our trademark (Word Ace). We can't stop you from writing an anagrammer, but we can ask you to not use our trademark anywhere on your site.

Please remove any and all references to Word Ace on 7letterwords.com, or we'll be forced to have our lawyer get in touch with you.

Thank you.
    Seppo Helava
    Self Aware Games
    Quote Originally Posted by selfawaregames View Post
    While I'm glad that you're interested enough in the game to write an anagrammer for it, you're making money (from ads) using our trademark (Word Ace). We can't stop you from writing an anagrammer, but we can ask you to not use our trademark anywhere on your site.

Please remove any and all references to Word Ace on 7letterwords.com, or we'll be forced to have our lawyer get in touch with you.

Thank you.
    Seppo Helava
    Self Aware Games
    Busted!
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Didn't think that was in the cards...... No pun intended!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_ONE View Post
    Didn't think that was in the cards...... No pun intended!
    Yeah, he should fold.
    All in.... Trouble.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Best thread responses ever.

LOL!
    seppo
  11.    #11  
    Like I said before, this was just a proof of concept for me and was definitely not for profit. The ads were placed for filler and I honestly never expected to make any profit from it. I have taken the site offline. I will run it on my local server for myself. If anyone would like the a copy of the code and corresponding database for their own I use I would be happy to share. Just send me a PM.

I have no attachment to the site, but it still seems rather absurd for Selfaware to insist that the phrase word ace cannot be used on a site. If trademark laws were that strict there would be very few sites on the internet since I would guess that most words could be considered copyrighted. Can you imagine Precentral not being able to use the word Palm or Pre.

Regardless, consider this thread closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Yeah, stopped playing Word Ace because it's become all luck. Everyone cheats now, so you're left with the luck of the letters. Please delete this spam post.
    I strongly suspected this--the words some people were come up with repeatedly are just too obscure to be in their own mental lexicon. No way.
    Quote Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
    An example of the cancer that is killing Word Ace. Many people are stopping playing because people do this, and you're advertising a way to do it? It takes all the excitement out of the game, and I hope selfawaregames finds a way to reduce the number of people doing this, because it takes alot away from the game unfortunately.

The only solution I can imagine is coding Word Ace so that other cards can't be opened when it's active, but I don't think users would tolerate that, and determined cheaters would just be hammering words into a PC anyway.
    Just want to let people know - I sent lcoff a message thanking him for removing the site, with an explanation that anagrammers not only make the game less enjoyable for the players, but if people get frustrated and stop playing, it genuinely threatens our livelihood, and our ability to make games like this in the future.

--
    EDIT: I just want to mention that the response I received from him was both understanding and gracious, and I appreciate the work that went into writing the tool, and that he's willing to take it down to help us out.
    --

Yes, it's on us to make sure that the impact of anagrammers is mitigated - and we're working on ways of doing that. But the more widespread, and the more tailored to Word Ace such things become, the more difficult our jobs are. We're doing what we can, and I appreciate lcoff responding to our request, and helping us keep the game's integrity intact.

Thank you.
    seppo
    Last edited by selfawaregames; 09/11/2009 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    The only solution I can imagine is coding Word Ace so that other cards can't be opened when it's active, but I don't think users would tolerate that, and determined cheaters would just be hammering words into a PC anyway.
    Not to mention, I don't think Palm would be keen on us doing that. Multitasking is a core feature of the device, and even if it were possible, I'm pretty sure Palm wouldn't approve an app that restricted that. We have other avenues available, and we've been actively developing ways to mitigate the impact of anagrammers.

I've said in the other threads on Word Ace that Word Ace is a game we see ourselves playing 5, 10, 15 years from now. If the community becomes saturated with cheaters, that's not going to happen. We're working to make sure it does. Some anti-cheating features will happen in future software updates, but some things are already happening on the back end, invisibly to the players.

And in case there was any doubt, you should know that the online games are all logged. So if you see someone you suspect is cheating, please send an e-mail to support@(username).com. The more information we have, the better able we are to CRUSH OUR FOES.

Thanks!
    seppo
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Interesting all the way around.

I have had a lot of fun with this game. It really is a blast! I have been really angry just a few times, sure I had to be playing against a cheater. Of course, at first I am completely congratulatory. They are playing a great game. Sometimes they are suspect. But if I play against a cheater and get beat on a word, I will still remember that word for next time. I still have to look up what FEZ means (and I don't think that came from someone cheating). I was also surprised when PEZ was not accepted. I accepted that this guy was smart when he beat me with "nth". I didn't know it was a word, but knew how to use it in a sentence when it was accepted. But when the same guy beat me with PHT, I had to check the web for how people cheat. Even moreso when I had a textbook definition to another word I joking wrote (define it) when he used it. It was something with electricity. it is hard to tell, though. Sometimes I think I am able to create words that people might question (and innocently). I don't think I have ever been questioned, but I felt like someone might when I used APNEA last night. But I will pocket PHT and NTH if vowels don't show up.

I also wonder about an update with a voting feature to vote a suspected cheater off the table. Of course, would this get out of hand if someone is just good?

And of course, it is still fun when you take a few hands from cheaters. I mean, they still have to get the letters.

Thanks for making the game,
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by DKatman View Post

I have had a lot of fun with this game. It really is a blast! I have been really angry just a few times, sure I had to be playing against a cheater. Of course, at first I am completely congratulatory. They are playing a great game. Sometimes they are suspect. But if I play against a cheater and get beat on a word, I will still remember that word for next time. I still have to look up what FEZ means (and I don't think that came from someone cheating). I was also surprised when PEZ was not accepted. I accepted that this guy was smart when he beat me with "nth". I didn't know it was a word, but knew how to use it in a sentence when it was accepted. But when the same guy beat me with PHT, I had to check the web for how people cheat. Even moreso when I had a textbook definition to another word I joking wrote (define it) when he used it. It was something with electricity. it is hard to tell, though. Sometimes I think I am able to create words that people might question (and innocently). I don't think I have ever been questioned, but I felt like someone might when I used APNEA last night. But I will pocket PHT and NTH if vowels don't show up.

I also wonder about an update with a voting feature to vote a suspected cheater off the table. Of course, would this get out of hand if someone is just good?

And of course, it is still fun when you take a few hands from cheaters. I mean, they still have to get the letters.

Thanks for making the game,
    Dave
    You make a good point that made me think of something...maybe they could start "ratings" where opponents can rate the cheater factor of each player. Call it "reputation."
    There is not way to keep people from cheating but you need to just quit playing when it becomes obvious someone is cheating... when someone has $10,000 in a $40.00 table its likely they are cheating not one gets that lucky. There is always another table to play at. Please don't stop playing I use this game to relax while laying in bed at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by DKatman View Post
    We're implementing something similar to this - the concern really is what you've said - that if someone's legitimately good, that people will potentially abuse the system. It's a difficult balance to strike, but we're working on it.

Thanks!
    seppo
    I really enjoy this game.but like others I get discouraged when them obscure words come up. I consider myself a smart person but a terrible speller and I just use common words. The challenge of the game for me is to have fun first and challenge my brain. It has been mentioned in the past to friend people and try only to play with non cheaters, I think this is a great idea, I have accepted and requested friends, and have weeded out the ones
    That are way above my level weather they are cheating or not its just not fun when someone has that much of an advantage.
    Well just my two cents worth
    And BTW Seppo thanks so much for the effort in trying to keep the integrity of the game, it means alot to me that you monitor these fourms and are actively involved..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast