Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    So I finally took the plunge and purchased the Pre this weekend. I had been holding out for a native Epocrates program before switching from my 700p. However, it finally bit the dust. I successfully installed Classic and got Epocrates up and running. As my fat fingers are having trouble hitting their on screen targets, I began wishing for an iPhone-like Epocrates experience. I could have sworn I remembered reading a blog entry here at PreCental before the Pre was released about just that. A quick search and I found that on Feb 11, 2009, the blog entry read "Palm CEO Ed Colligan Talks Pre with Investors" in which he talked about having Epocrates being ready at Pre launch time. I wonder what happened?
    me 2....i am waiting for a native epocrates app. Does anyone know if it is in the works at all?
    Last I heard, ePocrates released a statement they were going to make an "official" version of ePocrates to work on the Classic.

There was not much mention of a native app, but I believe that same memo on their website mentioned talks of a possiblity of a native app.

I decided to bite the bullet and just pay for Classic to get epocrates and other skyscape programs to work so I wouldn't have to carry two huge devices while rounding in the hospital.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    we need a native ePocrates, My girlfiend who is a nurse really wants this badly
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    yeah, native version of epocrates has been "pending" for a long time now...mobile website: m.epcorates.com works pretty well if u have a good connection at work though
    When one is forced to use Classic, then one has only a Palm OS device and that is a factor to consider. I went with the TP2 on the 4th and today spent a few minutes on the way home playing with the Pre - one of the kids needs a phone. I really liked it, but without the necessary applications, there is no way I can see getting one. Incidentally, Epocradead works really well on the TP and TP2.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I found information while browsing the website that Skyscape medical software are available as native version. However, we need classic app which can be purchased from Motion apps to install them on palm pre device.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    This seems to be terrible news for those of us who use Epocrates regularly. Read the email I just recieved from Epocrates.

"Thank you for being a loyal Epocrates member since 12/18/2000. In appreciation, we’re giving you special advance notice that we're beginning to phase out support for older Palm® and Windows Mobile® devices.

We've supported older devices for years, but are moving on to exciting, new developments to provide all our customers with the best Epocrates experience.

It means you'll need to get a new device soon to continue using our comprehensive clinical content. We want to help you get there, so we've created a great deal for you - get an iPod touch with our premium Epocrates Essentials software for just $199! It doesn't require a new carrier and is a perfect complement to a cell phone you may have already. Just enter code in the shopping cart to get the deal.

With a large-screen device that provides the fullest Epocrates experience, you’ll really enjoy the fast, easy access to our rich content. Epocrates Essentials will:

Provide you with the most reliable disease information, including crisp disease images
    Show you important safety information, plus pill pictures, for Rx, OTCs, and alternative medicines
    Give you a hand with lab prep, interpretation, and follow-up
    Guide you to specific/empiric treatments for infectious diseases
    Help identify “mystery pills” with our pill identifier tool

Don't forget! You'll need to enter code in the shopping cart to get this great deal.

Need help? Contact Us

You are receiving this mailing to notify you of upcoming changes to your Epocrates access. Update your current email address (sign in withyour username and password and modify your profile). Unsubscribe. Epocrates will not sell or share your personal information without your permission or as required by law. Read our full privacy policy.

To add insult to injury, they suggest I buy an iPod Touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    ...we're beginning to phase out support for older Palm® and Windows Mobile® devices.

To add insult to injury, they suggest I buy an iPod Touch.
    sounds like they are phasing out the palmOS not necessarily the pre, just like they may be phasing out WM (probably earlier 5.1 devices and the like, cannot imagine phasing out 6.1/6.5 devices which are still forthcoming would be a smart idea, considering how many WM phones there are)

Don't freak just yet.

also, I am confused by what they are suggesting, do they offer a ipod touch as part of the subscription renewal (I am a subscriber, and will renew, and wouldn't turn down an ipod even if it was 40 bucks (essentials is 159 right now for me)

Anyway, i am going to take this as meaning they do intend to develop for the new webOS

I am certain that they mean to develop for the new WM OS's because it would be just plain stupid not to.
    There are four lights.
    Ugh that would suck! I've using epocrates with classic lately and EOL of epocrates on Palmos would negate one of the major reasons I purchased classic in the first place! That's too bad. Also, I'm not sure why they would do this because I still see a lot of docs/students/nurses etc using old PalmOS devices still. Same goes for WM. In my opinion they might be trying to wean off all the free subscription users by enticing them with a bundled iPod touch with subscription. If so, that would be a blow to a lot users who don't have epocrates subscription and rely on it as a free formulary/pharmacopeia.

I hope in the meantime the developers here can keep improving Drugview:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...iew-webos.html

Hopefully this will evolve into a good free epocrates alternative...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    You make two very good points. However, I'm a little peeved as I just renewed my Epocrates subscription and paid the Classic surtax to be an "early adopter."
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    I hope in the meantime the developers here can keep improving Drugview:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...iew-webos.html

Hopefully this will evolve into a good free epocrates alternative...
    Thanks for the mention. Please do try out this app and let us know in the forum what you think, provide suggestions etc.
    ePocrates may eventually come out with a native WebOS version but we don't know when. Drugview provides you with the ability to search for drug information from 3 free online resources, including ePocrates online.

Download DrugView from Homebrew
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know Epocrates is not ceasing support for all Palm and Windows Mobile devices, only a handful of older operating systems that do not have the memory or power to run future content and feature enhancements we have in the pipeline. Some of the devices affected include Palm Zire and iPAQ 3835.

Palm continues to be a prominent platform for us, and we will continue to support the majority of Palm OS devices as well as work to develop a native application for the Palm Pre. We are here to help subscribers on these older devices migrate to new platforms over the next 4-6 months. Please contact Epocrates support at support[at]epocrates.com with any questions, we are eager to help.

Best wishes,
    The Epocrates Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Epocrates View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know Epocrates is not ceasing support for all Palm and Windows Mobile devices, only a handful of older operating systems that do not have the memory or power to run future content and feature enhancements we have in the pipeline. Some of the devices affected include Palm Zire and iPAQ 3835.

Palm continues to be a prominent platform for us, and we will continue to support the majority of Palm OS devices as well as work to develop a native application for the Palm Pre. We are here to help subscribers on these older devices migrate to new platforms over the next 4-6 months. Please contact Epocrates support at support[at]epocrates.com with any questions, we are eager to help.

Best wishes,
    The Epocrates Team
    Thank you for the response. Do your have and ETA of when you might have a native WebOS application available for the Pre? thanks!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    There is no official ETA as of yet but we promise we're working hard to get it to you! Also wanted to mention (in case there are some out there that don't know) Palm Pre owners can access Epocrates with the MotionApp Classic emulator.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.
    The Epocrates Team
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I would like to inform all that I have installed the Skyscape Medical Resources on palm pre device as well as iphone device and the product are perfectly working on both the devices. Skyscape products do not require Wi-Fi or Internet connection while accessing the product. Also I can continue use the product, if the subscription expire.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Just had a chat with an Epocrates reprentative online, here it is:

Epocrates: Hi, my name is *****. How may I help you?
    Me: I currently own Epocrates Essential, I own a Palm Pre and am using Epocrates via the Classic App, however I was wondering when a native Epocrates app would come out for the Palm Pre?
    Epocrates: We are working on Developing this.
    Epocrates: We just announced it.
    Epocrates: Last Week.
    Epocrates: Would you like to receive an email when it is offered?
    Me: Yes please.
    Me: Where did you announce this?
    Epocrates: They just told us and updated our responses.
    Epocrates: No public announcement.
    Me: Well thank you for your help.
    Epocrates: Thank you for contacting Epocrates.
    Epocrates: Enjoy your day!
    Epocrates has disconnected.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I stopped using Skyscape years ago after they expired on me. Maybe I'll have to try again, now.