Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 409
  1. #161  
    Gaah all I want is video recording and message forwarding. Also, email search, I'm not sure if its a full-on search or limited, the one that's coming
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Well I understand your point and I agree this could be an issue. I assume at some point once the app catalog is up and running as a full fledged store that the number of apps heading to the cydia would decrease dramatically unless it is a person looking to get feedback while developing their app. I would also assume developers have the option to make the app stop working after a certain date or number of uses. I would also say that if you make a high enough quality app that people are willing to purchase, then people would choose that over the less functional, beta type free app. As far as the code goes, there will always be shady people who spend the effort ripping off code. Its always happened at it always will. I would not be upset if the option to download the homebrew apps via a program like filecoaster was disabled once the app catalog is no longer beta.
    Firstly, there is no 'Cydia' for the Pre - please let's leave iPhone terminology for the iPhone users. The Cydia-like open standard installer repository system for the Pre is Preware. It can install advanced homebrew applications with capabilities that cannot be achieved with the official webOS APIs.

    Secondly, the assumption that all homebrew is in some way inferior to apps in the official Palm App Catalog is a false assumption. Some will be, some won't be.

    Thirdly, why are you incorrectly associating homebrew with ripping off code? All homebrew I have seen so far has been original work (particularly as there are so few apps in the official Palm App Catalog).

    You may not be concerned about the removal of the ability to install advanced homebrew applications on the Pre which use facilities that are not exposed by Palm, using an open standard package, repository format, and installer like Preware, but many other people are.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'd doubt that they have the capability to delete anything that hasn't been installed via the App Catalog, though I could be wrong on that one. I suppose we'll see in the coming weeks.
    Palm can write an OTA update script which can do absolutely anything on your Pre. They have the capability to do whatever they want.

    But with great power comes great responsibility. I expect Palm will exercise that power wisely. They have made sensible choices in using Linux and not locking it down in the first place, so I have an optimistic outlook.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4. #164  
    The majority of homebrew apps at the momment are app catalog style apps there is only a had full of true homebrew apps out there few i can think of off the top of my head are mytether, ACE (auto correct edit), and preware those never make it to the app catalog no matter what. i am excited to see app catalog to come in and clean out some of the none true homebrew and make room for real homebrew style apps. as for superjudge... i cant judge him for his ignorance in the subject but i do advise him to do a little research and learn a little about homebrew. he is right the curent "homebrew" apps will move onto the app catalog. which is where they should be.
    MatterOfFactJack
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Palm can write an OTA update script which can do absolutely anything on your Pre. They have the capability to do whatever they want.

    But with great power comes great responsibility. I expect Palm will exercise that power wisely. They have made sensible choices in using Linux and not locking it down in the first place, so I have an optimistic outlook.
    Yeah, my thought was that Palm probably can't know the app IDs of the homebrew that you have installed, because it can be changed to anything, but I suppose they could always look at all the stuff in /var/ and subtract out the official apps you've installed and delete the rest... but yeah, I agree that I don't think they'll use it any more than they absolutely have to.
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by TCCCCnME View Post
    From what I have read there is a paid and a free version of My Tether. So if anyone has the paid version then that is not a "donation". I would want and expect that if I was told something would work fine and I actually paid for it, then it better work fine.

    Now if someone has the free version and did make a legit donation then you can't expect anything in return. You donated to a cause because you found it useful.
    you cant expect anything from true homebrew to work perfectly all the time considering it is one of the major things palm is trying to stop from happening because sprint doesnt want it to exist. it is indeed a donation considering the free version is not much different than the donor version.
    MatterOfFactJack
  7. #167  
    rod... in all realitly mytether is true homebrew. kinda like the homebrew scene of the psp. all others can easily be submitted to the app catalog and palm said before pre launch they will pretty much accept anything as long as they work. real homebrew usualy has to be homebrew because it violates terms of service or some other limitations placed by the manufacturer.. which is why i cant wait till all the other apps are out of the homebrew scene.

    very uncalled for saying mytether is tainting homebrew.. it went to the extent that others were too scared to do. that is the whole point of homebrew my friend.

    i feel like if any other app can fall into the same "stigma" of my tether than it is an honor to that app
    Last edited by jack87; 09/05/2009 at 10:22 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    ...
    Sprint has invited WebOS Internals developer Rick Boatright to give a presentation at the Sprint Developers Conference.

    ...

    -- Rod
    Yes, and then was asked by Yahoo if PreCentral developer Marco could join in the fun. And the WebOS team said "The more the merrier" so there will be a DISTINCT homebrew team at the Sprint Developers conference in Santa Clara in October.

    -- Rick
  9. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #169  
    Damn, that sounds like it woudl have been interesting. Too bad I never found out about it until they got rid of it.
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    rod... in all realitly mytether is true homebrew. kinda like the homebrew scene of the psp. all others can easily be submitted to the app catalog and palm said before pre launch they will pretty much accept anything as long as they work. real homebrew usualy has to be homebrew because it violates terms of service or some other limitations placed by the manufacturer.. which is why i cant wait till all the other apps are out of the homebrew scene.

    very uncalled for saying mytether is tainting homebrew.. it went to the extent that others were too scared to do. that is the whole point of homebrew my friend.

    i feel like if any other app can fall into the same "stigma" of my tether than it is an honor to that app
    We'll need to respectfully agree to disagree on what "homebrew" really means then :-)

    I just wonder: If mytether ever causes Palm to react and lock down the Pre as tight as an iPhone, will it be worth sacrificing all the other homebrew apps, services, plugins, tweaks, and patches for that end?

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/05/2009 at 10:56 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We'll need to respectfully agree to disagree on what "homebrew" really means then :-)

    -- Rod
    agreeded. haha couldnt have said it better myself. i was just about to say something similar.
    MatterOfFactJack
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    I'm excited to hear about all the new changes, but I would like to know if the phone functionality improved at all. I've read how people have been missing calls because the Pre did not respond quickly enough to commands given, etc. Is this still the case, even though this is just a leaked version of the impending 1.2 update? Is the 'phone' part of the Pre more reliable now?
    Not sure about 1.2, but in 1.1 the (simple) workaround is not to have like 7 cards open at a time. If you have say 3 (or 4 at the max) opened, you will not have problems. I suspect Palm will have tweaked the phone regarding the issue you're speaking of. It's an important area for them to fix (as telling users not to open more than 3 or 4 cards is not something their marketing department would be happy with them having to say).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  13. rcram's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #173  
    What about Selecting Multiple Emails? Has that been added in the 1.2?
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    you donate to them today...this could change in the future.

    my point remains...if you've paid for or donated to a homebrew (or other unofficial) app, how can Palm refund you if they delete the app?
    Since the only place you should be paying for apps is in the app store, Palm doesn't have to worry if you donated money somewhere else. Homebrew and webos-internals stuff is never charged for. Think of it really as a testbed for beta versions of apps before they are accepted into the app catalog. The app store will be an important revenue generator for Palm. When you consider the R&D costs for the phone, Palm really isn't making money on the phone itself. It's kind of like the XBOX, they need to make money (at least get a 5-10% cut) on the games and other apps. I don't mind that they do this provided that the apps aren't needlessly limited or that the vendor does not extract too big of a cut from the developers.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  15. #175  
    I suppose turning off the display while on the touchstone isn't in this release either. I hope they add that at some point.
  16. cashen's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    #176  
    Can someone test to see if this update includes actually silencing the phone when the "silence" slider is on? ESPN Zone and others would make noise on 1.1. thanks
  17. #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We'll need to respectfully agree to disagree on what "homebrew" really means then :-)

    I just wonder: If mytether ever causes Palm to react and lock down the Pre as tight as an iPhone, will it be worth sacrificing all the other homebrew apps, services, plugins, tweaks, and patches for that end?

    -- Rod
    This is the reason why those who have downloaded MyTether' whether free or the "Donate" method should NOT use this Homebrew as their number one resource to the internet. Perhaps the controversial "Donate" for this particular App. is a good idea, not to mention that this Homebrew will never be picked up by Palm.
  18. #178  
    Was mytether ever anything more than a GUI front-end for iwconfig and usbnet anyways?
  19. #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We'll need to respectfully agree to disagree on what "homebrew" really means then :-)

    I just wonder: If mytether ever causes Palm to react and lock down the Pre as tight as an iPhone, will it be worth sacrificing all the other homebrew apps, services, plugins, tweaks, and patches for that end?

    -- Rod
    ouch rod... your edit with the bit after the smiley face kinda contradicts your wonderfully put sentence above it.

    Like I said I feel like apps like MyTether define Homebrew. As new as webos i feel like palm is learning a great deal from the pre community. in a way its almost like free labor from them. no way they will be putting a closed lid on it. too much valuable knowledge is gained without the need for hiring engineers or programmers. it would not be a wise business call on their part as we all know the pre appeals to many because of its ability to expand its capabilities.
    MatterOfFactJack
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    Was mytether ever anything more than a GUI front-end for iwconfig and usbnet anyways?
    It also allowed easy setup of DHCP, allowed for turning on WEP, and a few other things.
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions