Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 409
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I think it can be agreed by most that removing apps without good reason would be PRPRPR $suicide$. $Not$ $that$ $anyone$ $here$ $is$ $gonna$ $go$ $all$ $chicken$ $little$ $about$ $this$. $But$ $somehow$ $I$ $think$ $that$'$s$ $gonna$ $make$ $engadget$ $or$ $BGR$.
    Yeah. I have no problem with them doing anything to protect their phone and their customers from malicious programs or faulty programs that could hamper the functionality of the phone. That is fine with me. But lets say they start removing homebrew apps that conflict with similar apps in the app catalog that they want people to pay for or something like my tether because the carrier wants them to. That would be a different situation. Like I said before, until they actually do this for other reasons besides protecting their phone and the users then I won't worry about this function.
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Yeah. I have no problem with them doing anything to protect their phone and their customers from malicious programs or faulty programs that could hamper the functionality of the phone. That is fine with me. But lets say they start removing homebrew apps that conflict with similar apps in the app catalog that they want people to pay for or something like my tether because the carrier wants them to. That would be a different situation. Like I said before, until they actually do this for other reasons besides protecting their phone and the users then I won't worry about this function.
    Agreed. However quick thought: Would developers feel more comfortable developing for webos knowing that a "cydia" or Free app store app could be pulled right from the device? With the ???'s about how easy it is to see the code, could this give comfort against ripoffs and cheats?
  3. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    This is horrible news. By far the worst thing I have heard if Palm actually uses this to remove homebrew apps especially something like my tether. If they use this power, it better be to remove apps that they have found to be malicious but leave everything else alone. It would be horrible feeling of violation to go to launch an app and find that Palm went into your phone and removed it. That could be a game changer for me a far as keeping with the Pre and I can only imagine the immense backlash that would happen if they did this for no other reason than money or at the prodding of their carriers. As of now I wont care too much unless we start hearing stories that this is happening.
    I doubt Palm could remove App store programs but it could be possible. I think it would be even more difficult and risky for them to remove home-brew apps. Does Palm/Sprint want to deal with people whose phone was bricked because Palm/Sprint removed apps?
  4. #124  
    I have a question. Since the animations are sooooo smooth now, do you think Palm is now utilizing the GPU for animations?
  5. #125  
    you cant brick ur phone man unless you physically break it or fry its internals thats what web doc is for . and thats right from the mouth of webos internal administration developer.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6. #126  
    can someone check if the LED notifications occur when you connect the Pre to your computer and receive the "Charging Battery" notification?
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Agreed. However quick thought: Would developers feel more comfortable developing for webos knowing that a "cydia" or Free app store app could be pulled right from the device? With the ???'s about how easy it is to see the code, could this give comfort against ripoffs and cheats?
    Well I understand your point and I agree this could be an issue. I assume at some point once the app catalog is up and running as a full fledged store that the number of apps heading to the cydia would decrease dramatically unless it is a person looking to get feedback while developing their app. I would also assume developers have the option to make the app stop working after a certain date or number of uses. I would also say that if you make a high enough quality app that people are willing to purchase, then people would choose that over the less functional, beta type free app. As far as the code goes, there will always be shady people who spend the effort ripping off code. Its always happened at it always will. I would not be upset if the option to download the homebrew apps via a program like filecoaster was disabled once the app catalog is no longer beta.
  8. DNic's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    #128  
    Good info. Seems some basic "fixes" are still not being added though.
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Well I understand your point and I agree this could be an issue. I assume at some point once the app catalog is up and running as a full fledged store that the number of apps heading to the cydia would decrease dramatically unless it is a person looking to get feedback while developing their app. I would also assume developers have the option to make the app stop working after a certain date or number of uses. I would also say that if you make a high enough quality app that people are willing to purchase, then people would choose that over the less functional, beta type free app. As far as the code goes, there will always be shady people who spend the effort ripping off code. Its always happened at it always will. I would not be upset if the option to download the homebrew apps via a program like filecoaster was disabled once the app catalog is no longer beta.
    they wont get rid of the homebrew filecoaster ,excuse me they could but you will always have the preload type of program or preware or filecoaster one or the other will still b around.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  10. #130  
    @dnic they will b sooner or later wether its by application or update or homebrew you will get what you want on ur phone for sure lol i know i will and have most of what i want already and the update takes care of a couple too lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11. tozfeekum's Avatar
    Posts
    43 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    can someone check if the LED notifications occur when you connect the Pre to your computer and receive the "Charging Battery" notification?
    No it doesn't
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    they wont get rid of the homebrew filecoaster ,excuse me they could but you will always have the preload type of program or preware or filecoaster one or the other will still b around.

    True. I could see them wanting to make it not an OTA option like the app catalog and getting rid of filecoaster but yeah you could still do it other ways. It will be interesting to see how this develops both from Palms and the developers perspectives.
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Well I understand your point and I agree this could be an issue. I assume at some point once the app catalog is up and running as a full fledged store that the number of apps heading to the cydia would decrease dramatically unless it is a person looking to get feedback while developing their app. I would also assume developers have the option to make the app stop working after a certain date or number of uses. I would also say that if you make a high enough quality app that people are willing to purchase, then people would choose that over the less functional, beta type free app. As far as the code goes, there will always be shady people who spend the effort ripping off code. Its always happened at it always will. I would not be upset if the option to download the homebrew apps via a program like filecoaster was disabled once the app catalog is no longer beta.
    cydia is not a beta store. Its ripped full version apps. Devs are losing alot of $$$ because of it.
  14. #134  
    The one thing I started thinking about is that the unistall might deal with piracy. When you buy and App in the Catalog, your Serial Number is tied to an App purchase. If the App in a specific version is on a WebOS device that doesn't have a purchase record, they could detect it.

    This is cool as a developer and kinda scary as a user.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Well I understand your point and I agree this could be an issue. I assume at some point once the app catalog is up and running as a full fledged store that the number of apps heading to the cydia would decrease dramatically unless it is a person looking to get feedback while developing their app. I would also assume developers have the option to make the app stop working after a certain date or number of uses. I would also say that if you make a high enough quality app that people are willing to purchase, then people would choose that over the less functional, beta type free app. As far as the code goes, there will always be shady people who spend the effort ripping off code. Its always happened at it always will. I would not be upset if the option to download the homebrew apps via a program like filecoaster was disabled once the app catalog is no longer beta.
    If Palm removes a homebrew application that you've paid for, how would Palm be able to provide a refund? I'm not sure they can.

    Their intent here might be to have the option to remove malicious or any other programs from their official app store. What do you think?
  16. ujsc's Avatar
    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    #136  
    Can anyone please explain the procedure for updating to 1.20 if you have so many apps you can't download any more "Palm derived" ones. I realize I have to remove the tweaks and the virtual keyboard. Do I have uninstall my tether as well (I hear Wifi no longer works). Does the memory allocation prevent me from downloading the update and do I have to delete apps to get down to the 60 or so "Palm" cap limit to get the update to work? What do you think?
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    If Palm removes a homebrew application that you've paid for, how would Palm be able to provide a refund? I'm not sure they can.

    Their intent here might be to have the option to remove malicious or any other programs from their official app store. What do you think?
    you dont pay for homebrew apps , you donate to them .there is a big difference there lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  18. #138  
    @ ujsc i would get rid of mytether if it does not work in 1.2 , they will restore that app quickly enough so no worries there. all you need to really worry about is tweaks and any rooting you have done thats it!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you dont pay for homebrew apps , you donate to them .there is a big difference there lol
    you donate to them today...this could change in the future.

    my point remains...if you've paid for or donated to a homebrew (or other unofficial) app, how can Palm refund you if they delete the app?
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I don't know....why did they take the email pinch away (according to your list.) I found that very useful.

    At the very least, maybe Palm will see this thread, realize someone accidentally disabled the email pinch and then add it back in.
    My guess is that they removed it so the email app would load fasted. It's much less work to just list the headers. It was a neat feature but probably not widely used.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions