1.    #1  
    There are 2 new apps in the App catalog today that are similiar to homebrew apps: PhotoDialer vs DumbWaiter.

After a quick try of these, don't bother.
    1. Quick Contacts in Homebrew is about 100 times better than PhotoDialer
    2. Any of the tip calculators in Homebrew (Tip Calc redux, Cool Tip Calc) are better than the Dumbwaiter one.

but that's just my opinion... still havent tried the other apps yet...
  2.    #2  
    One quick update: It surely looks like the "Translator" app started as a homebrew app! Congrats!
    Hmm. I found Tip Calc not very user friendly and Cool Tip Calc very odd with its entirely custom UI.

What don't you like about Dumb Waiter or how could it be improved? I thought it was a nice twist on standard tip calculators.

Obviously I'm going to be a little biased since I wrote Dumb Waiter sometime ago but, seriously, if there is something lacking just let me know as it's a pretty easy application to update and expand upon. I have much better stuff in the pipe but Dumb Waiter was a neat little pet project, in my opinion .
    Last edited by Kasracer; 09/03/2009 at 06:51 PM.
    It's starting to seriously worry me that more 'clones' of homebrew apps are popping up in the real app store. Most of these clones are actually less good than the ones we have here on PreCentral. But yet they are in the app store and the apps from the good people here are not.

I guess there are corporate vultures circling this forum prying on our ideas. I really hate this but I think with the next apps I'll be working on I'm gonna be a bit more careful than I have been until now.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Well, the bonus with PhotoDialer is that I can add more then just 9 contacts! So, I am using both. Quick Contacts for my top 9 contacts, and PhotoDialer for my top 30 or so. PhotoDialer doesn't scroll too well though.
    I like Tip'Em better than any of the other options, even the homebrew stuff but yeah not a fan of Dumb Waiter at all, though it's a nice twist on the regular one.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    It's starting to seriously worry me that more 'clones' of homebrew apps are popping up in the real app store. Most of these clones are actually less good than the ones we have here on PreCentral. But yet they are in the app store and the apps from the good people here are not.

I guess there are corporate vultures circling this forum prying on our ideas. I really hate this but I think with the next apps I'll be working on I'm gonna be a bit more careful than I have been until now.
    Erm, I'm hoping you're not referring to me. I can't speak for the other developers but Dumb Waiter was a pet project of mine that helped teach me how to work with webOS quite some time ago.

Palm's process is very long (at least if you worked with them early) so they've known about Dumb Waiter, along with 2 of my other applications and a game I'm working on, for almost two months now.

Homebrew has no vetting to go through and didn't need to wait for Palm to get their process down. I'm not sure it's fair to call anyone a corporate vulture especially since all of these applications are free (unlike the two Tip Calculators in homebrew, I'm never going to charge for Dumb Waiter; it's a very simple app).

So please understand I never meant to step on anyone's toes. Dumb Waiter isn't the greatest application but I thought it was a cool idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Erm, I'm hoping you're not referring to me. I can't speak for the other developers but Dumb Waiter was a pet project of mine that helped teach me how to work with webOS quite some time ago.

Palm's process is very long (at least if you worked with them early) so they've known about Dumb Waiter, along with 2 of my other applications and a game I'm working on, for almost two months now.

Homebrew has no vetting to go through and didn't need to wait for Palm to get their process down. I'm not sure it's fair to call anyone a corporate vulture especially since all of these applications are free (unlike the two Tip Calculators in homebrew, I'm never going to charge for Dumb Waiter; it's a very simple app).

So please understand I never meant to step on anyone's toes. Dumb Waiter isn't the greatest application but I thought it was a cool idea.
    Didn't realize that was your app. It's an interesting concept but just wouldn't work for me in practice. Thanks for the effort anyway, it's definitely appreciated.
    Oh wait I'm not referring to anyone in particular. Don't worry!
    It's just a little something I'm noticing that worries me.

Not directed at anyone in particular for sure!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    On a device that essentially doesn't support anything except open source, it is definitely going to be problem protecting intellectual property.

I would like to think that Palm would be open to discussion with developers about their rights to the benifits from code which they originate. ie If something is submitted which is an obvious knock-off, it would not be accepted or even withdrawn. But then, maybe I'm just naive.

Bring on a low level SDK!
    Last edited by johncc; 09/03/2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added SDK comment.