1.    #1  
    As I continue to hold out until I buy my pre (for just a few reasons), I know that sometime in the next 0-6 weeks, I'll be the proud owner of a new Pre....

One of my current Treo apps that I will be sad to leave behind is ProfileCare by GoTreo Software. It's an app I rarely actually "use" these days because it just works behind the scenes very seamlessly to make my day easier. For those who are not familiar, essentially ProfileCare allows you to define profiles which set things like (but not limited to) ringer, ringer volume, notifications & volumes, vibration settings, bluetooth on/off, screen brightness, etc. Then you can define which profiles are activated / deactivated based on a highly configurable set of criteria: Individual profiles could be time-based such as early morning, commute, work, commute, early evening, late evening, and overnight (based on any schedule you define). Configuration also included days of the week to allow for a different schedule on the weekends. You could also apply a profile any time you wanted manually for an indefinte or pre-determined length of time before the default profile would kick back in. With the companion app Schedulecare, you can also put certain tags into the notes or titles of your calendar events... to set a sound profile based on your calendar too.

I know there was also a very similar and popular application called simply "Profiles" by an Italian fellow.

Anyway, from following the threads, I realize at this point that the 'customizability' of the Pre's ringer/notification/vibration settings isn't quite what we were expecting / used to with the Treo line, but I'm wondering if there has been any talk of such a Profile application for the Pre... I did a search and didn't see anything that indicated so. Clearly, an application like this could be so much more with location-based profiles in addition to the time-based profile settings... Any thoughts on this? Anyone working on something like this in Homebrew?
  2.    #2  
    Wow. I've been here for nearly 6 years. I'm not a heavy poster, but definitely an active reader and put in my 2 cents when it's relevant. I've definitely never bumped my own thread due to no response, but I can't resist.

Is the non-response because:

• others don't agree that automated / manual profile functionality would be worth having?
    • no developers are working on anything like this yet?

Anyone else a strong supporter of PalmOS apps "Profilecare" or "Profiles"?
    yes, i am looking for profiles too, but just have a lot of other higher priorities on my mind. i think it is already on the app wishlist. someone will get to developing it, i'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    One of my current Treo apps that I will be sad to leave behind is ProfileCare by GoTreo Software. It's an app I rarely actually "use" these days because it just works behind the scenes very seamlessly to make my day easier. For those who are not familiar, essentially ProfileCare allows you to define profiles which set things like (but not limited to) ringer, ringer volume, notifications & volumes, vibration settings, bluetooth on/off, screen brightness, etc. Then you can define which profiles are activated / deactivated based on a highly configurable set of criteria: Individual profiles could be time-based such as early morning, commute, work, commute, early evening, late evening, and overnight (based on any schedule you define). Configuration also included days of the week to allow for a different schedule on the weekends. You could also apply a profile any time you wanted manually for an indefinte or pre-determined length of time before the default profile would kick back in. With the companion app Schedulecare, you can also put certain tags into the notes or titles of your calendar events... to set a sound profile based on your calendar too.

I know there was also a very similar and popular application called simply "Profiles" by an Italian fellow.

Anyway, from following the threads, I realize at this point that the 'customizability' of the Pre's ringer/notification/vibration settings isn't quite what we were expecting / used to with the Treo line, but I'm wondering if there has been any talk of such a Profile application for the Pre... I did a search and didn't see anything that indicated so. Clearly, an application like this could be so much more with location-based profiles in addition to the time-based profile settings... Any thoughts on this? Anyone working on something like this in Homebrew?
    That would be an app I'd pay for!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I use Profiles on my Treo 680 today. This type of app is actually a deal breaker for me (at least a basic type version). Today I have office and home profiles that are set at certain times of the day and others I can set as needed. The basic Nokia phones that I carried for about 10 years all had the ability to create ringing profiles that I manually selected when I was in the office, in a meeting, outside or at home so I've at least somewhat automated that functionality on my Treo. When I looked at the iPhones, the only choice is silent or not using a switch. You had to go into the options every time if you wanted to change the ringer volume. Because of this (and a few other reasons), I walked right out of the Apple store.

At this point I'm sticking with my Treo until it breaks or I find some new non-Sprint phone that meets my needs (unfortunately my front porch is the only place to get close to two bars with Sprint). I hope someone is considering developing this type of application for webOS so I can consider another Palm in the future.