Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Jason, for quick install, do I simply delete the old one and download and run the new one?
    Delete the old one and put the new one in the same folder as the old one used to be (next to WebOSDoctor.jar).

Quote Originally Posted by chuckchuck88 View Post
    this is probaly a dumb qustion but i know you have to be rooted to aply patches through putty/ssh. but u dont for preware. do u have to for quick install?
    Nope, no rooting required WebOS Quick Install was the program that ended "rooting required" apps. In fact, I believe WebOS Quick Install is how people install Preware without rooting, heh
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Delete the old one and put the new one in the same folder as the old one used to be (next to WebOSDoctor.jar).

Nope, no rooting required WebOS Quick Install was the program that ended "rooting required" apps. In fact, I believe WebOS Quick Install is how people install Preware without rooting, heh
    But is there anyway to avoid taking 2 minutes to put in DevMode and 2 minutes back??

Also, i havent checked yet but can you install MYTether with QI?

nice work.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    But is there anyway to avoid taking 2 minutes to put in DevMode and 2 minutes back??

Also, i havent checked yet but can you install MYTether with QI?

nice work.
    You can just leave Developer Mode on

The developer of MyTether says an upcoming version will fully support WebOS Quick Install. In the meantime, I created a compatible installer for the free version here.
    They need to add a video recording patch
    Jason, you seriously are the MAN with WebOS...I will be donating to you very soon.

Just wanted to really thank you for all youve done, and would hope you keep this up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Just curious, but how do you remove Preware? The instructions on the WiKi just say "Remove the package manager, then remove preware quickily while it is still open." Makes sense I guess, but how do you do that? Just open Preware, than minimize, open the "ListApps" thing, delete package manager, than preware? Maybe it's cause I have a headache, but I am just having a hard time figuring it out, and don't wanna mess it up.

On a side note, does PreWare change anything (Assuming you haven't downloaded anything) in the OS that might need to be changed back before an update? Not sure why, I just have a feeling the next update is going to change a lot of OS code, and I want to make sure nothing gets confused.
    To remove Preware, use WebOS Quick Install as detailed above. Do not use the Palm GUI to remove Preware or Package Manager Service, as it does not comprehend Advanced Homebrew packages.

It is perfectly safe to leave Preware, the Package Manager Service, and the GNU Patch Binary installed across OTA updates. The WebOS Internals team that develops these Advanced Homebrew packages take particular care to stay out of the way of Palm's OTA update process.

Only the patches (either manually installed, installed using optware and quilt, tweaked using WebOS Quick Install, or installed using Preware) need to be removed before an update.

So the real question is: Why would you ever want to remove Preware?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    To remove Preware, use WebOS Quick Install as detailed above. Do not use the Palm GUI to remove Preware or Package Manager Service, as it does not comprehend Advanced Homebrew packages.

It is perfectly safe to leave Preware, the Package Manager Service, and the GNU Patch Binary installed across OTA updates. The WebOS Internals team that develops these Advanced Homebrew packages take particular care to stay out of the way of Palm's OTA update process.

Only the patches (either manually installed, installed using optware and quilt, tweaked using WebOS Quick Install, or installed using Preware) need to be removed before an update.

So the real question is: Why would you ever want to remove Preware?

-- Rod
    I didn't realize that the Quickinstall tweaks would have to be done before I update, but I suppose that makes sense. Just one question though. With regard to the added launcher pages, do I need to move the apps back before disabling it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Yes, there is a great symbiotic relationship between WebOS Quick Install and Preware.

Preware (written by the WebOS Internals team) needs WebOS Quick Install to bootstrap it's very first installation.

WebOS Quick Install uses the patches from the WebOS Internals wiki for the tweaks page, and uses the ipkg postinst techniques developed by WebOS Internals to be able to install Advanced Homebrew, and uses the preware.org open standard feeds created by the WebOS Internals team to be able to install from all the available package feeds.

Between WebOS Quick Install and Preware, just about every thing a non-developer wants to do with homebrew can be achieved without ever accessing the Linux command line.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysonline View Post
    I didn't realize that the Quickinstall tweaks would have to be done before I update, but I suppose that makes sense. Just one question though. With regard to the added launcher pages, do I need to move the apps back before disabling it?
    Good question. I don't know the answer to that one.

You can find the answer by trying it now, can't you?

-- Rod
    Yes, there is a great symbiotic relationship between WebOS Quick Install and Preware.

Preware (written by the WebOS Internals team) needs WebOS Quick Install to bootstrap it's very first installation.

WebOS Quick Install uses the patches from the WebOS Internals wiki for the tweaks page, and uses the ipkg postinst techniques developed by WebOS Internals to be able to install Advanced Homebrew, and uses the preware.org open standard feeds created by the WebOS Internals team to be able to install from all the available package feeds.

Between WebOS Quick Install and Preware, just about every thing a non-developer wants to do with homebrew can be achieved without ever accessing the Linux command line.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod,

Quick question, how hard would it be to create a driver for OpenGL and get low level access to the pre? Is this even possible by an enduser right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    Thanks Rod,

Quick question, how hard would it be to create a driver for OpenGL and get low level access to the pre? Is this even possible by an enduser right now?
    That's a question best asked in the #webos-internals IRC channel.

-- Rod

-- Rod
    do you know off hand if the Roaming Only feature can be accessed or installed with this combination of WOS Quick Install and Preware?

Thanks for any info!!

Ooops. Nevermind... I found how to search the WebOS Quick Install thread and found the answer... apparently it does do roaming only, althugh I haven't tried to access it yet in WOS QI

Thanks!
    Last edited by superduperpre; 08/29/2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: found answer!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Jason can these patches be removed for updates just by unchecking the boxes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpeso420 View Post
    Jason can these patches be removed for updates just by unchecking the boxes?
    Yes, they can.

-- Rod
    I am trying to install the virtual keyboard but I can't seem to get Preware to work for me. I installed it just like it says in the article but when I goto to open it on my phone it sits and will say "Updating" or "loading" I will let it sit for 20 to 30 mins and still does nothing... Anyone know whats up?
    That started happening to me. When I do manage to get Preware to work. I tried to install the latest Virtual-Keyboard update, but it fails.
    Do you have the latest version of WebOS quick installer ? ... It was very simple for me .

And if you have successfully installed everything check if you're out of APP space .
    I'm not out of app space... How do I figure out if my webOS installer is current?? I downloaded it from the link in the article. I would think that is the latest version?? If not anyone have it???
    Well the latest is version 2.2 ... but if i'm not mistaken version 2.1 or later should do just right . You can check it out on the WebOS Quick Install help section on the top left then click about.
    hmmm after looking around it looks like I have 2.2... I am confused... FileCoaster works just fine... But I want the keyboard lol
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast